Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2016, 12:43 PM

2,531 posts, read 1,865,796 times

Advertisements

If a person says they don't like a person of a certain race, he/she is a racist.
You don't like gays, you're a homophobe.
You don't like men or women, you're sexist.

But it's okay for someone to say they dislike or even hate children. I've never understood this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2016, 01:12 PM

130 posts, read 163,304 times
Well, in society, although it is hard to avoid children, you can actually organize your life around not being around children. One could hypothetically choose not to have children or be friends with individuals with children. Besides, the idea of childhood is not permanent. So, an adult that hates children can probably like the child in a couple of years. Perhaps the person that dislikes children hates the idea of immaturity versus the thought of children itself.

Old 07-04-2016, 01:23 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridarebel View Post
If a person says they don't like a person of a certain race, he/she is a racist.

But it's okay for someone to say they dislike or even hate children. I've never understood this.
Most people think just as poorly of people who say they hate kids as anything else.

Old 07-04-2016, 01:40 PM

2,956 posts, read 2,344,411 times
Why do you hate entire groups of people over a single characteristic that doesn't impact you what so ever? Hate gays? Why? do you think if you talk to a gay person that they'll try and make out with you? Are you afraid you might be inclined to suddenly like the opposite sex's parts because you are around them?

You think it's a sin? OK. So is a lot of stuff like divorce, eating animal meat (no fat!), wearing blended fabric cloths and tons of other stupid stuff just about everyone ignores. You don't have to be gay just because they are. It doesn't impact you what so ever. Did you deny the woman on her third marriage that wedding cake because of your beliefs? Probably not. Unless their sin is against you, leave it between them and their God.

I could care less if some guy wants to get on his knees in front of another man. Much like I could care less if you are black, Asian, christian, catholic or even Muslim.

I'll judge you based on your actions. If you're a thug, bigot etc you'll be treated like one.

Last edited by aridon; 07-04-2016 at 02:28 PM..

Old 07-04-2016, 11:04 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,665,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridarebel View Post

Actually my wife and I don't like children and have no desire to have them. And when we tell people we don't want kids because we don't like them were are sometimes treated worse than a racist or a homophobic. Not liking kids put you in a much smaller minority of people than racists or homophobic and even a vast majority of racists and homophobic like children. People who dislike kids are the pariah of our society. People who dislike children don't hold rallies or have a political party dedicated to their views. People who dislike children don't get special rights or privileges granted to them by the Constitution of the United states. People who dislike children aren't tax exempt. People who don't like children and have no desire to have children are treated as if their way of life would be the end of human existence.

Old 07-05-2016, 04:38 AM

18,529 posts, read 18,761,435 times
Its much better to decide not to have children than have them and mistreat and abuse them.. I have nothing against people who decide not to be parents, its their choice , people are frowned on though for not wanting or liking children.. why I dont know.. maybe some see it as abnormal although of course its not.. many people nowadays have the choice and take it.. I read about a village in Italy where only one in four or five couples has children.. Being without children, gives you much more money, freedom and less worry and stress..

Old 07-05-2016, 05:36 AM

1,646 posts, read 2,781,866 times
It is more acceptable to say you don't like children than to say......ready???

"I don't like dogs"

I personally, do not like dogs. I dare not say it to anyone in person because you apparently are a terrible person if you do not like dogs. So, I pretend to like them so I am not looked at as the worst person in the universe.

Old 07-05-2016, 06:38 AM

73,027 posts, read 62,634,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSchoolols View Post
It is more acceptable to say you don't like children than to say......ready???

"I don't like dogs"

I personally, do not like dogs. I dare not say it to anyone in person because you apparently are a terrible person if you do not like dogs. So, I pretend to like them so I am not looked at as the worst person in the universe.
I have noticed that people have looked at me crazy for not liking dogs.

Old 07-05-2016, 06:44 AM

15,220 posts, read 10,322,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinbro2002 View Post
Actually my wife and I don't like children and have no desire to have them. And when we tell people we don't want kids because we don't like them were are sometimes treated worse than a racist or a homophobic. Not liking kids put you in a much smaller minority of people than racists or homophobic and even a vast majority of racists and homophobic like children. People who dislike kids are the pariah of our society. People who dislike children don't hold rallies or have a political party dedicated to their views. People who dislike children don't get special rights or privileges granted to them by the Constitution of the United states. People who dislike children aren't tax exempt. People who don't like children and have no desire to have children are treated as if their way of life would be the end of human existence.

Well technically if everybody disliked children and didn't have any, it would be the end of human existence. But I agree with you - if you tell someone you don't want children they automatically assume you are a selfish individual. Doesn't matter if you work with the homeless, give lots of money to charities, or live frugally. Some people just don't want the noise, the mess, the expense, the heartache of children. Because yes there is heartache when you have children. Sometimes much more than the "rewards" people keep trying to shove down our throats.

Old 07-05-2016, 07:10 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,128,537 times
I don't know what world you live in, but it is frowned upon to have a dislike for children.
I can't even confess the fact that I am TERRIFIED of childbirth to the point where I get physically ill just thinking about it without being looked at as if I were crazy.
"YOU'RE SCARED OF CHILDBIRTH!?!? BUT DON'T YOU WANNA HAVE CHILDREN!??!!?"

But even if it were acceptable to confess that you don't get along with kids all that well, there's a key difference between those groups you listed and children... Society doesn't discriminate against children like they do with people of other ethnicities, women and homosexuals.
Nobody shoots children just for being kids, meanwhile the Orlando shooting is still fresh in everyone's hearts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates