Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 01:00 PM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times

Advertisements

I think that the American public has become so cynical about government, that many no longer think any meaningful reform is possible. Sadly, as of right now, many US citizens are united in beliefs they do not actually possess - liberty, freedom, right to privacy, government is spying on everything we do … without any real benefit or justification, etc...
It’s sad how we don’t even realize that so many of our constitutional amendments have been violated by our own government, but as long as we keep the 2nd amendment (guns), most seem ignorant to everything else.

Old 04-18-2017, 02:06 PM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
Yes, you keep bringing up the same arguments. They are still invalid.

As population densities increase, laws are required to be more restrictive. I can walk out my brother's back door in rural Mississippi and go to shooting an AR-15 any time I want. If I tried the same in my suburban home I would be immediately arrested, and for good reason. A highway that sees 10 cars a day can safely have much fewer restrictions than one that sees 10,000 cars a day. Piloting a 2-ton missile down a crowded highway is a dangerous activity, so no, you are not allowed to do so while impaired or distracted. Do the same in rural Montana and probably no one would notice.

And unfortunately, states that are dominated by unbalanced populations in massive urban centers (i.e., New York, Illinois, California) tend to have state-wide laws that are needed in the urban areas but are excessively restrictive in rural areas.

Here is reality:
- If you want to live in a Society surrounded by lots of other people, then you are REQUIRED to follow the rules of that society. As a lawyer you should know this. Of course you can petition for change, but if the majority disagrees with you then change won't happen.

- If following the rules of your society is just too much effort for you and you can't change the rules, then move. You live in a free country with a vast array of different cultures and laws at your disposal. If you want to live in a society where you can drive as fast as you want with a cell phone in one hand and a hamburger in the other, then perhaps you should consider moving to rural Arizona. No laws regarding cell phone use or texting while driving. The drivers in New York will thank you.
Thank you for posting this response.

I, too, have noted that the OP continues to bring up virtually the same topics. It's as if he won't stop until he gets the responses he wants.

I tried to think of regulations that are preventing me from doing anything reasonable that I want to do on a daily basis. I couldn't think of any. Sure, there are inconveniences to everyday life when you live among other people. But for every regulation out there, there is a reason it was developed. Some of the reasons may be good, others may not be. But it's not as if someone said, "Oh heck, we're not doing anything today. Let's regulate something." I don't agree with the 4-way stop signs on a particular stretch of street that I drive on regularly. But I also know that a group of concerned citizens made that happen. The OP has no respect for the posters who want things regulated. Those people are just on the other side of the issue than him. It's called the democratic process. If he wants change in his direction, he needs to stop wasting his time convincing us, and start going to town council meetings and start confronting his representatives. And if he can convince a significant group of others to follow his lead, the change he wants will take place.

Old 04-18-2017, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
when the airlines lose 50%+ of their stock value because very few people are flying anymore because of what the tsa does, then something will change, until then it is business as usual.
The problem isn't what the TSA does. The problem is what the airlines do. How many more times are they going to make seats smaller and foot room smaller and reduce the number of toilets? It's no pleasure to fly anymore.

Old 04-19-2017, 08:32 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,330,946 times
Yes, airline travel used to be a civilized, relaxed affair. All of the changed when the religion of peace discovered new ways to murder strangers.

Keep firmly in mind the barbarians who created the need for the TSA and the rest of the restrictive nonsense that afflicts modern society:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qta2xL3LXqQ

Old 04-19-2017, 08:40 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,287,130 times
During road construction there were some temporary stoplights with long reds and eventually everyone started running the lights. I was so proud. I think pointlessly waiting at a light when its safe to go is a big waste of time and gas. I smiled from that. People around here are not known for breaking the rules like that

Low set speed limits are something I've noticed people ignore lately. Again I'm proud of them. I know what's safe to do and don't need my hand held from cradle to grave. I have no tickets in my life but I'm at the point where I'm willing to take the tickets as a badge of honor if needed.

This is also why I applaud people who post pictures of themselves with marijuana on Facebook... Harmless plant that I will use if I want. Stop thinking you should control what I put in my body.

Everything in moderation and use common sense.

Last edited by sholomar; 04-19-2017 at 08:51 AM..

Old 04-19-2017, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
During road construction there were some temporary stoplights with long reds and eventually everyone started running the lights. I was so proud. I think pointlessly waiting at a light when its safe to go is a big waste of time and gas. I smiled from that. People around here are not known for breaking the rules like that

Low set speed limits are something I've noticed people ignore lately. Again I'm proud of them. I know what's safe to do and don't need my hand held from cradle to grave. I have no tickets in my life but I'm at the point where I'm willing to take the tickets as a badge of honor if needed.

This is also why I applaud people who post pictures of themselves with marijuana on Facebook... Harmless plant that I will use if I want. Stop thinking you should control what I put in my body.

Everything in moderation and use common sense.
And yet, at the intersection within sight of my front door there is a significant accident at least every other month. I'm sure all those idiots knew what was best, too.

Old 04-19-2017, 02:14 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,943,676 times
Would anyone ever go to a TSA agent for protection?

Do TSA agents do ANYTHING that makes anyone feel safe?

They are minimally trained, out of shape physically, and minimally educated.

If they were TRULY there for safety reasons, they would be trained like cops, they would be in great physical condition. They aren't. They don't protect ANYBODY.

Old 04-19-2017, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Would anyone ever go to a TSA agent for protection?

Do TSA agents do ANYTHING that makes anyone feel safe?

They are minimally trained, out of shape physically, and minimally educated.

If they were TRULY there for safety reasons, they would be trained like cops, they would be in great physical condition. They aren't. They don't protect ANYBODY.
I'm afraid you're wrong.

For example, in just one 2 week period, the TSA discovered 136 guns being carried on an aircraft, 112 of which were loaded.

Old 04-19-2017, 04:20 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,943,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I'm afraid you're wrong.

For example, in just one 2 week period, the TSA discovered 136 guns being carried on an aircraft, 112 of which were loaded.
And did they do anything about it? Or did they have to call the police?

Anyone who is going to use a gun is not going to "hide" it in carryon luggage that will be x-rayed. Even criminals aren't that stupid.

From the TSA blog: "each time we find a dangerous item, the line is slowed down and a passenger that likely had no ill intent ends up with a citation or in some cases is even arrested. The passenger can face a penalty as high as $11,000. This is a friendly reminder to please leave these items at home. Just because we find a prohibited item on an individual does not mean they had bad intentions; that's for the law enforcement officer to decide. In many cases, people simply forgot they had these items."

Old 04-19-2017, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
And did they do anything about it? Or did they have to call the police?

Anyone who is going to use a gun is not going to "hide" it in carryon luggage that will be x-rayed. Even criminals aren't that stupid.

From the TSA blog: "each time we find a dangerous item, the line is slowed down and a passenger that likely had no ill intent ends up with a citation or in some cases is even arrested. The passenger can face a penalty as high as $11,000. This is a friendly reminder to please leave these items at home. Just because we find a prohibited item on an individual does not mean they had bad intentions; that's for the law enforcement officer to decide. In many cases, people simply forgot they had these items."
It only takes one gun to kill you, others, perhaps a whole plane load of people. It's not as if it hasn't happened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates