Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 12:02 AM

17 posts, read 22,078 times

Advertisements

Considering how common pedophiles and rapists are, how would you feel if any man convicted of rape or pedophilia were always given the death penalty by default? And none of this "appeals" bull, but taken out and shot like the dogs they are.

Old 08-24-2016, 12:38 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,951,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Applejewel View Post
Considering how common pedophiles and rapists are, how would you feel if any man convicted of rape or pedophilia were always given the death penalty by default? And none of this "appeals" bull, but taken out and shot like the dogs they are.
I don't know how common pedophiles and rapists are. Do you? Clearly you feel there are quite a few of them. So... just saying... based on that... wouldn't it argue for a more thoughtful examination of things? I mean... say just 1% of men are pedo's and/or rapists... I think it costs a couple million to put a Capital Offender down. The country would be bankrupt before the first month of your hasty, poorly thought out, and emotional response to a serious social issue. I'm giving you a conditional grade of 'D' for this one. Maybe you can do some research and submit a more nuanced take for review.

Old 08-24-2016, 01:30 AM

18,544 posts, read 18,807,370 times
Why though do they have to wait on death row for so long , this must be what costs so much with lawyers etc... I just dont understand the law..Im all for heavy sentences for these people if convicted of the crime but still not sure about the death penalty... some crimes are so abhorrent that Ive wanted to let them roast especially when its to do with children.. these people or monsters area waste of space.. In the old days they would just have been strung up. cheap and gets the scum off the planet where they can never harm a child again.

Old 08-24-2016, 02:07 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,063,459 times
Quote:
A: Then we would not be the United States of America. It is against our Constitution to act in such a manner such as with the 8th and 14th amendment.

B: Would really suck for the victim for such a policy would up the ante. That is, if rape and pedophilia are then death penalty crimes, then why let the victim live and increase the odds that the offender will get caught?

Old 08-24-2016, 04:21 AM

6,351 posts, read 9,990,074 times
No. There should be no death penalty for anyone, and here is why:

Our government and government by its nature is corrupt and insufficient at anything but serving a few elites. It gets little else right. Do you think I would ACTUALLY trust a government to execute the right person every time? NO.

So is it more morally acceptable to allow a few innocent people to die at the hands of the state, or except that some who maybe deserved to die now JUST have life with no chance of parole on a chain-gang working ten hours a day six days a week?

If an innocent person is sent to jail, you can always release them and compensate them. But you can't bring back an innocently executed person. The government can't be 100% right everytime, hence, the death penalty for anyone is wrong.

Old 08-24-2016, 04:24 AM

4,660 posts, read 4,132,459 times
In principle, sure.

The only reason that I would say no is because it is so hard to know the truth of these things, especially when it comes to rape of the consenting age. I am not a misogynist--men commit rape more than women lie about it. But they do lie about it.

And what about a situation where a woman initially gives consent and asks a man to stop? How do you even prove that beyond the shawow of a doubt? And given that the man might have some genuine confusion over the matter, do you still kill him? Surely, he has a sentance to serve in this situation, but death?

Even with children, there are problems. What about the McMartin preschool scenerio in which children were heavily prompted by thier psycologists to claim molestation, when none actually occurred. That was a full blown moral panic in which many people would have lost their lives.

My alternative is that every sex criminal spends his life in some state of incarceration. Sex criminals don't get "cured." Even castration does not end the psychological urges. I don't think that we can kill them all for the reasons stated above, but I see no reason why they should not be permanently segregated from potential vicitms.

Old 08-24-2016, 06:41 AM

1,869 posts, read 1,340,962 times
Quote:
No.
I am absolutely against the death penalty.
Too many wrong verdicts putting innocents on death row.

Old 08-24-2016, 07:28 AM

8,118 posts, read 7,488,992 times
Quote:
Why just men? Women can be rapists and pedophiles, too.

But the real problem is, you're getting into ISIS territory with talk of summary executions. We don't even do that with mass murderers and terrorists.

Old 08-24-2016, 07:44 AM

2,054 posts, read 2,573,303 times
Instead of the death penalty for someone who is a pedophile, confine them to a prison for the mentally ill. Let this send a message that this is a sickness, and that they should never see the light of day or be around young victims again. The rules are rigid. Under a certain age, the child should be protected. Period.

For rape, non-statutory in nature, this should be a life in prison. Never to see the light of day again. For statutory rape, the details of the case will determine what the punishment should be.

Old 08-24-2016, 07:53 AM

50,979 posts, read 24,476,005 times
Quote:
No. You sound remarkably like ISIS in your thinking. If it's an illness, and I would say it is, then we need to treat it like an illness. If it is not an illness in some cases, then we need to have a little perspective on severity. Who destroys more lives -- drunk drivers or rapists. I would guess drunk drivers. Should we execute them, also? People who drive recklessly? I think you're reacting to the emotional aspect of rape and child molestation. Both are SERIOUS crimes and should be prosecuted and treated, but we shouldn't follow the same thinking that ends up with people being thrown off of buildings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates