Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2016, 11:34 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,977,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
I think you mean "secession", not "succession", as in the area will SECEDE from the Union.

A visit to a dictionary may be in order.

Quote:
Will Cascadia have sufficient electrical power when Montana and Idaho shut off the feeds to the Bonneville Power Grid? When the coal plants shut down, we will need most of the hydro power and wind power ourselves; there might not be enough to continue to furnish electricity to the BPA. But then, the BPA is a FEDERAL administration, so the agreements would have to be renegotiated, anyway.
What will happen to the West Coast when the United States Military packs up and leaves? The United States may not wish to have military bases in your new country. What will be the economic impact of all those soldiers, sailors, and airmen (and their families) leaving?
Did the Czech Republic have power, when most of the power plants were in the East in Slovakia? Where they able to re-negotiate their agreements? Did the military stay in place? What was the economic of them separating?

Quote:
The action will require a lot of thought. It may not be as easy as you describe it!

I do not recall saying it would be easy. Just doable.

Old 09-16-2016, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adriver View Post
WHY THE HELL CANT YOU NUTS KEEP IT IN

https://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...controversies/

Just so you know I actually read that silliness, you think the STATES should be split, because you think states are the same thing as countries. You think that different regions should be split up into there own new countries, and you think Oregon/Washington would become the new wealthiest country on the planet, even though the ENTIRE United States is barely beating China...???

Seriously, there is so much ignorance in this thread, its ridiculous.

I do not recall saying it would beat China. Just saying the facts of this region and its economic status.

And why can't that nut Trump "keep it in"? Oh yes, because people in the south love him, so now us in the Northwest have to deal with it...

Old 09-16-2016, 11:38 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,630,795 times
Wasn't this tried around 1860-1861 ? How did that work out.....?

eta: I love the previous post says south and Northeast.

Old 09-16-2016, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
Anyone who thinks a state or group of states, whether it be Oregon/Washington or Texas, can walk away from the rest of the nation without lots of blood being shed, has got to be at the least ignorant of history.

Ah, I actually quoted history and addressed this.

The Czech Republic and Slovakia split up without a war:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dissol...Czechoslovakia

And like I said, an actual push to re-negotiate our status as a sovereign, united Republic is not the same as pulling the proverbial William Wallace...not that I couldn't see our local hipsters in kilts running across the Olympic Mountains.

What I am talking about is what the UK just did, and if you paid attention to history, you may realize that. If enough agree, we could vote on a Constitutional Amendment. It is conceivable that, if Trump wins, this could start to become a legitimate political issue.

A decade ago it was also deemed insane to say cannabis legalization would ever become a real political issue. Now Washington State is dealing with that one as well.

Old 09-16-2016, 11:43 PM

Quote:
This was my favorite sentence.

Old 09-16-2016, 11:51 PM

1,995 posts, read 2,077,573 times
I'm not the one losing this discussion because I expanded things to point out how bad this thread is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post

Ah, I actually quoted history and addressed this.

The Czech Republic and Slovakia split up without a war:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dissol...Czechoslovakia

And like I said, an actual push to re-negotiate our status as a sovereign, united Republic is not the same as pulling the proverbial William Wallace...not that I couldn't see our local hipsters in kilts running across the Olympic Mountains.

What I am talking about is what the UK just did, and if you paid attention to history, you may realize that. If enough agree, we could vote on a Constitutional Amendment. It is conceivable that, if Trump wins, this could start to become a legitimate political issue.

A decade ago it was also deemed insane to say cannabis legalization would ever become a real political issue. Now Washington State is dealing with that one as well.
You think comparing the USA to Czechoslovakia solves that?

Old 09-16-2016, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aery11 View Post
Keeping a straight face here (it is hard but I am trying anyway).

OP, have you talked to any Quebecois about this fantastic idea of yours - you know they have separated from Canada a number of times now? Oh wait .. no, I should amend that .. they have tried to separate from Canada several times.
Ah, yes, and that was a legitimate political issue. That is, ah...kind of the point of this thread, that secession will become mainstream, hence a little thing called "the title."

Sorry, I lost my straight face.

Quote:
Once it was explained to them that they would have to pay back a huge sum to the federal government and lose support for many things they thought they could just walk away with that were federally financed - and that 'trade' might not be negotiated as easily as they thought it might be - and that the federal government was also not going to let them have huge chunks of 'federal land' that were located in the province .. well, it sort of faded out for a while. When the government asked them what their real problem was .. there was a lot of noise and a few fireworks but it turns out they really didn't have a good reason for going other than 'being angry'. Canada called their bluff and it turned out the feds held all the cards. The sentiment arises from time to time still but the rest of Canada (including the west which also moans and groans on occasion) realizes that it really is just about letting off steam so we take it all in stride these days.

Actually, that was about not feeling like a part of the nation. And that is where nationalism arises. Likewise, what happens when we have a president who does not reflect our values and there is nothing our region can do to, say, stop a war, even if we overwhelmingly want it to stop? When you have a large segment outside of the native population dictating to the natives what they can or cannot do with their government, their tax dollars, etc, you have a little issue there called "colonialism." After awhile there is only so much the victim can stand.

Quote:
And did you realize that Brexit can happen because the EU is still comprised of already independent countries (although that is not the ultimate goal of the powerbrokers - they want to make a huge country eventually, but it has been that way from the beginning when it was designed as a trade agreement primarily). Brexit is a very different beast from what you are suggesting. On the other hand .. perhaps Scotland will still try to separate from Britain over Brexit (but I think that highly unlikely). Stay tuned and watch to see how that one goes.
Actually, the UK was never "compromised". It remained a sovereign entity. The EU did not wield nearly as much power over the UK as the government in DC (and, by extension, the South)

Quote:
You can vote all day long to leave but even if you get consensus, the process, if it is allowed to proceed at all, would take a very long time (I expect a decade or two) to happen unless you are suggesting a physical war? Maybe if you make the federal government dislike you enough they will vote to kick you out - how good are you at throwing tantrums? You will have to do much better than your OP indicates and Quebec ever did.

Well, considering I did say IN MY LIFETIME I would think a couple of decades would be what I was referring to...

Quote:
If you (personally) want out of the US .. there are other countries you could consider moving to. Cape Breton Island in Nova Scotia has a website that invites Trump haters to move there if he wins the election. I think Cape Breton will regret it if people take them up on that (and it is a beautiful place but too close to where I am for me to be comfortable) but not all Canadians are sane either. But a whole pile of them in Nova Scotia are liberal so you would feel right at home I think ... although you may have to make some adjustment because it is more difficult to vote Libertarian here. This is a free country that ... well, you can read up on it sometime after you finish finding out the difference between succession and secession.
And perhaps you could learn the difference between debating a point and just throwing strawmen and ad lapidem.

Quote:

p.s. I am constantly amazed (and amused) by those who don't have a clue about Trump spouting off as though he was the devil incarnate and wanting to leave if he becomes president. Some of us have been holding our vomit in for 8 years now - really, it is possible .. you could do it too! Sometimes the horror will overcome you with grief but you will survive.

And I am amazed at those who think just because we hate Trump we must love the current failure-in-chief. You do realize one can hate Trump and hate Obama. But at least Obama was sedate and meek failure who could be depended on to do nothing. Trump is a narcissistic con-man who doesn't even have enough patients for interviews, let alone negotiations with North Korea.

The fact that the southerners would subject us to him alone is enough reason for us to say we should no longer share a federal government with them.

Old 09-17-2016, 12:01 AM

Quote:
I'm not the one losing this discussion because I expanded things to point out how bad this thread is.

You think comparing the USA to Czechoslovakia solves that?

You asked if I knew the history of secessionism. I provided an example of what I am talking about. It could easily become a political movement that will eventually lead to a vote. And a Trump presidency would hasten that eventual vote.

Old 09-17-2016, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
Wasn't this tried around 1860-1861 ? How did that work out.....?
So there was a Constitutional Amendment passed that went to a vote in 1860-1861?

Quote:
eta: I love the previous post says south and Northeast.

Old 09-17-2016, 12:53 AM

2,993 posts, read 4,304,690 times
You guys do realize you're as dependent on the federal petro dollar as much as the rest of us right? What would you do without all the federal jobs, grants, highway funding, military installations and jobs, medicare/medicaid, and other various welfare and entitlement programs just to name a few? You would fall back in line quickly and bow down to your federal overlords and forget you ever mentioned anything about "succession" if even one of the above were to be cut off.

Cascadia is a legal weed pipe dream at best. They only way it would ever happen is with a whole lot of bloodshed and pain, and you guys don't have the balls to pull that off. Think the federal government is just going to say "ok, well they voted on it" and let you go that easy? Think again. The whole country would have to implode and fall apart before Cascadia is ever an independent nation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.