Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2016, 02:24 AM

983 posts, read 738,703 times

Advertisements

Not that our government is willing to do it, but say hypothetically all drugs were legalized and they took the stance of "Hey, sucks to be you, you took the drugs and died, suck to be you for being an idiot" as well as releasing everyone involved with any drug crimes go, what do you think would be the ultimate result?

Meaning people that take the harder more dangerous drugs end of offing themselves, while those that take the far safer and mundane drugs like weed are allowed to use them in peace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2016, 01:06 PM

24,502 posts, read 17,245,671 times
I think to start we would see a huge increase in drug overdoses if drugs were legal and easier to get. If emergency personal and Doctors were not required or not allowed to administer narcan the drug that saves people when they overdose on heroin we would see many people die.
On one hand these drug addicts need to be saved but on the other the pain they cause their families as they spiral their way to death is terrible and the money they cost to treat may be better served used elsewhere.

I don't agree on releasing drug dealers because so many of them also have committed other crimes like having and using illegal guns. Drugs equal Crime.
I do agree that drug users should be let out and given another chance to either get straight or up the anti until the eventual overdose.

America has a serious problem with drug use both legal and not that hurts people everywhere and it will only get worse when Hillary wins the election and does nothing to secure the border where many drugs walk in every day.

Old 10-10-2016, 01:21 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,381,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleinie View Post
Not that our government is willing to do it, but say hypothetically all drugs were legalized and they took the stance of "Hey, sucks to be you, you took the drugs and died, suck to be you for being an idiot" as well as releasing everyone involved with any drug crimes go, what do you think would be the ultimate result?

Meaning people that take the harder more dangerous drugs end of offing themselves, while those that take the far safer and mundane drugs like weed are allowed to use them in peace.
You are assuming that only "bad", "stupid" people take "hard drugs" and that "good" people are content with weed. I'm sure that there are many, many exceptions to both but if it makes you feel better then sure. I guess alcohol is a "good" drug? What about prescription drugs? What is your continuum from good to bad and what do you base it on?

Old 10-10-2016, 01:54 PM

32,941 posts, read 36,378,548 times
I think that, at least for a while, there'd more burglary, robbery, theft. Addicts need cash.

Old 10-10-2016, 01:57 PM

4,876 posts, read 4,208,707 times
Imagine all the tax monies we could collect. Farm subsidies would be reduced because they could grow new cash crops.

Old 10-10-2016, 02:04 PM

1,333 posts, read 883,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleinie View Post

I can't actually imagine much happening.

This is purely anecdotal; but from what I've seen, most people I know who don't want to do drugs aren't avoiding them because they're illegal. They're avoiding them because of religion, psychological health, fear of injury, fear for health, or fear of rejection.

The people who are already doing drugs may do drugs with a higher frequency as they're not going to get in trouble for it.

Old 10-10-2016, 03:06 PM

306 posts, read 365,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I think that, at least for a while, there'd more burglary, robbery, theft. Addicts need cash.
Why? Don't they need cash right now?

Old 10-10-2016, 06:11 PM

1,850 posts, read 1,139,365 times
[quote=Cape Cod Todd;45777652]I think to start we would see a huge increase in drug overdoses if drugs were legal and easier to get.

I will NEVER believe that. Look at alcohol and tobacco. Legal and easy to get. And can be very dangerous.
More people get hooked on drugs starting with prescriptions anyway. LEGAL drugs. Look and see who's died from ODing legal drugs from a legal doctor:

Whitney Houston
Marilyn Monroe
Elvis
Michael Jackson (YAY!)
and more........

And i believe that most people still have the brains and judgement to choose NOT to do illegal drugs. Use all that money wasted on this useless war on drugs to give addicts treatment.

But unfortunately, many large interests are cashing in big time keeping it all illegal.......

Old 10-10-2016, 06:41 PM

2,269 posts, read 3,802,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Addicts rob and steal because the illegality of drugs makes them expensive. Legal drugs would be vastly cheaper. Marijuana would cost about as much as cigarettes at your local store. Crack might be $1 a rock at the drug store instead of $20 on the street. The need to steal would be reduced. I remember reading that around 75% of crime was tied to drugs. Either addicts robbing and stealing, or dealer related crime.

Old 10-10-2016, 07:06 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,682,105 times
If we want to know what would happen we could look at the the period from the beginning of history up until about the 1920's. They were all legal....at least in a sense.

Nothing happened. Lot of people took opium - I read a lot of history and Ben Franklin used it as well as many other historical figures.

Opiates, for example, would be so inexpensive that no one would care to do more than $1 to $5 a day. Contrast that with booze where I watched two guys at a bar throw away $200 the other night on 4 fancy drinks each.

So, what would happen if we let bars sell drinks? Well, for one, that $200 should likely have gone toward their family or future financial security, etc.

But you cannot save people from themselves.

I support doing away with any and all criminal penalties for stuff that grows. When it comes to chemicals that are synthesized, we do need to have regs to make sure they are properly measured and produced, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates