Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 02:08 PM

1,165 posts, read 1,515,387 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if there is anybody on this board who is afraid of the consequences of pulling their support from Obama and their current party - I suppose this could be extended towards the other party as well. Do you feel that it makes your party vulnerable and that by pulling the support and attacking those that represent your party, you will be undermining your ideology? By this, I mean, if you feel that Obama has mis-stepped and is surely not the best candidate, do you feel that by conceding this fact that is opens up the door to misinterpretation to the failings of your ideology, and therefore calls for the extermination of all ideas that were underneath the umbrella of Obama's term?

Of course, this is absolute nonsense to a greater thinking man, but we live in a country where the majority are reactionaries who view things in black and white, without nuance. Often times, people dole out guilt by association e.g. some liberals think this, therefore all/some conservatives think this, therefore all, etc.

Do you feel then, that by disavowing Obama, your political philosophy would be devalued and lose credibility to the point that the very ideology you oppose would then take on the leading position for some time to come? Do you feel that any failing may be an opening for those you oppose to take advantage of and exploit in order to maximize their agenda? Do you feel that this imminent threat causes you, or anyone you know, to stick to supporting their party at all times, at any cost, even if you happen to not personally support the candidate outside of the public sphere?

If so, do you feel this is justified, or is your idea of how polarized the nation is politically merely a figment of your imagination spawned from a small sample size and the exaggeration of the media for network gain?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2013, 02:25 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,827,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnote11 View Post
I was wondering if there is anybody on this board who is afraid of the consequences of pulling their support from Obama and their current party...
Are you THAT scared? You may come out now...

Old 05-22-2013, 02:35 PM

2,635 posts, read 3,512,367 times
Or maybe no one really cares what you think.

Old 05-22-2013, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Are you THAT scared? You may come out now...
This isn't about me. I openly disavow Obama as shown on this board. I don't see a huge degree of difference between liberal and conservative policy other than a few social policies and the degree of religiosity. Now, one can certainly ask a question without it being a reflection of their personal beliefs. Thank you for bumping my thread with nonsensical remarks, Mr. EinsteinsGhost and Smoke-Jaguar. Your reactionary nature proves to be beneficial to me in this case.

Old 05-22-2013, 02:41 PM

3,846 posts, read 2,385,849 times
Default Would you disavow Obama if you were less afraid of the consequences of doing so?

Absolutely!

Old 05-22-2013, 02:41 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,083,461 times
What consequences?

Old 05-22-2013, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
What consequences?
Any consequences you perceive. If it doesn't apply to you, then it doesn't apply to you. This is merely a thread for those it actually applies to.

Old 05-22-2013, 02:45 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,449,725 times
If the answer is yes, you wouldn't actually reply because replying would mean disavowing Obama. So I am not sure what the point of this thread is.

Old 05-22-2013, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
If the answer is yes, you wouldn't actually reply because replying would mean disavowing Obama. So I am not sure what the point of this thread is.
I actually though of that But I wouldn't say actually sharing second-thoughts about Obama on a C-D forum is really disavowing him in public, in the sense that it actually has an effect on the country as a whole. What inspired this thread was the move forward by many to accuse Obama of war crimes or treason because of the scandals, etc. Really, I am wondering if people are afraid to get behind these, or at the very least hope they are not true, because they are apprehensive about the outcome of the situation if they did disavow Obama and by doing so become the tipping point for the administration. In saying that, I didn't expect to get too much of a positive or truthful reaction to this thread, but I figured that is might spawn some interesting and honest discussion based around those who are open to admitting to any form of the question, whether it be complete denial, second-guessing, apprehensiveness about the scandals and the direction of the administration, etc. What I didn't want was a more politicized thread where people were forced to stick to their guns through personal attacks and their ilk like in the scandal threads.

I want more open and honest dialogue.

Old 05-22-2013, 06:19 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,940,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnote11 View Post
I was wondering if there is anybody on this board who is afraid of the consequences of pulling their support from Obama and their current party - I suppose this could be extended towards the other party as well. Do you feel that it makes your party vulnerable and that by pulling the support and attacking those that represent your party, you will be undermining your ideology? By this, I mean, if you feel that Obama has mis-stepped and is surely not the best candidate, do you feel that by conceding this fact that is opens up the door to misinterpretation to the failings of your ideology, and therefore calls for the extermination of all ideas that were underneath the umbrella of Obama's term?

Of course, this is absolute nonsense to a greater thinking man, but we live in a country where the majority are reactionaries who view things in black and white, without nuance. Often times, people dole out guilt by association e.g. some liberals think this, therefore all/some conservatives think this, therefore all, etc.

Do you feel then, that by disavowing Obama, your political philosophy would be devalued and lose credibility to the point that the very ideology you oppose would then take on the leading position for some time to come? Do you feel that any failing may be an opening for those you oppose to take advantage of and exploit in order to maximize their agenda? Do you feel that this imminent threat causes you, or anyone you know, to stick to supporting their party at all times, at any cost, even if you happen to not personally support the candidate outside of the public sphere?

If so, do you feel this is justified, or is your idea of how polarized the nation is politically merely a figment of your imagination spawned from a small sample size and the exaggeration of the media for network gain?
Why Obama? Why not ask about Sarah Palin or Rand Paul, for example? You seem to be implying that there are no valid reasons that a conservative wouldn't support a Bachmann, etc, but plenty of reasons why a liberal would not support Obama.

And why ask this question on a forum that is infamous for its majority mob of tea party members? Why not go on over to the Democratic Underground or another predominantly Progressive site and post your question there?

Just asking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies