Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 01:23 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times

Advertisements

Ok, I'm a "left wing liberal" I don't have the slightest problem with disassociating myself from the ultra left, be they communist, eco-terrorist, or any fringe movement who advocates violence to advance their ideas, but it seems that time after time, conservatives have a real tough time doing the same regarding violent anti-abortionist, white supremacist, or general ultra right lunatics. I would think that an intellectually honest conservative wouldn't have the slightest problem with castigating the fringe elements of their political side of the aisle, so what's up with that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2009, 01:38 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,587,085 times
I don't think violence on either side sould be tolerated and the nutjobs should all go to jail. I also don't know that there is any less disavowing on one side or the other. For example, there was little disavowing on the left when activists targeted the Mormom church; in fact, there was justification because of the "way they were treated." I don't feel the need to really disavow any of the people involved because I never considered myself avowed, and I'm sure many of the people on the left felt that way in the example provided.

Old 06-10-2009, 01:42 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
They feel victimized, and so they become hypersensitive to most criticism. It's not just right-wingers who behave this way. It happens to all kinds of groups who feel like they're not being treated fairly.

Old 06-10-2009, 01:42 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,558,314 times
I'm not a member of any "wing"...I find myself quite conservative in some issues, moderately liberal in others, and pretty much on my own in still others.
Purely as a discussion, I'm not sure I agree with your original premise. When I think of a normal 'conservative', (i.e., not a 'kook', just a conservative), I normally don't think of these folks condoning any of the hateful, or violent, or racist behavior of right-wing 'wackos'. I don't see that connection at all, any more than your own self-proclaimed liberal position puts you in sympathy with THOSE 'wackos'.

The only difference I DO see, is that there is a distinct liberal bias in MOST of the media (a few years ago, as I recall, 85% of news reporters and media employees described themselves as moderately, or even DECIDEDLY, liberal). For THAT reason, I believe there's a decided 'sympathy' in the media for causes associated with the left, whereas causes we think of as 'conservative' get a lot more scrutiny, a lot less sympathy, and a generally less favorable write-up. I don't think it's humanly possible for most people to be TOTALLY objective, and if indeed it's true that the media has a strong preponderance of liberal-thinking members, I can see where that would put conservatives 'on the defensive'.

But no, I don't get the feeling conservatives are unwilling to 'disasociate' themselves from right-wing 'nut cases'....It could be that maybe they're very seldom ASKED to do so.....Just a guess on my part, though.

Old 06-10-2009, 01:49 PM

471 posts, read 587,252 times
Anyone who openly leans right is considered a right wing extremist. They are constantly attacked and labeled. The left wing is very broad and only the "communist, eco-terrorist, or any fringe movement who advocates violence to advance their ideas", as you put it, are the ones labeled left wing extremists.

It is quite biased. But it is what it is.

Old 06-10-2009, 01:50 PM

133 posts, read 173,799 times
I'm right wing living in a sea of extreme left wing zealots. But none of us are for violence of any kind against the other, we just disagree on everything. You have nut jobs out there, but unless violence is involved I believe it's called FREE SPEECH. When you don't agree with someone you always think they need medication, or a doctor. Guess what, we are all different that doesn't make us crazy.

Old 06-10-2009, 01:56 PM

683 posts, read 825,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Ok, I'm a "left wing liberal" I don't have the slightest problem with disassociating myself from the ultra left, be they communist, eco-terrorist, or any fringe movement who advocates violence to advance their ideas, but it seems that time after time, conservatives have a real tough time doing the same regarding violent anti-abortionist, white supremacist, or general ultra right lunatics. I would think that an intellectually honest conservative wouldn't have the slightest problem with castigating the fringe elements of their political side of the aisle, so what's up with that?
Time after time? Got any examples? Or a link?
This sounds like an opinion / stereotype / generalization to me.....
I didn't think left wing liberals were in to that.... What if I started a thread asking why all gays are rapists / child molesters?

Old 06-10-2009, 01:56 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,528,561 times
From what I see, today's brand of conservatism is about 1% principle and 99% ego.

It's based on a religious good vs. evil paradigm. "I am good. Therefore, everyone who disagrees with me is evil, and everyone who is evil disagrees with me."

Old 06-10-2009, 02:00 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,587,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
From what I see, today's brand of conservatism is about 1% principle and 99% ego.

It's based on a religious good vs. evil paradigm. "I am good. Therefore, everyone who disagrees with me is evil, and everyone who is evil disagrees with me."
I guess there's none of that on the left...It happens to be a large part of the political climate today and is not isolated to one side.

Old 06-10-2009, 02:00 PM

8,059 posts, read 3,946,325 times
Other than the pro-life terrorists (whom I have thoroughly denounced), the groups you mentioned are orphans of the Democratic Party that we never adopted to begin with - hence their mostly anti government stance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies