Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2016, 11:29 AM

4,224 posts, read 3,017,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
First, most products we all buy are not from the state we live in. Why should the product of insurance be any different?
There are federal restrictions on insurers, but like criminal law, much is either left to or shared with the states. It is a bit ironic that many who would ordinarily decry federal over-reach in this case want to see state officials eviscerated.

Quote:
Second, if, like me, you are a retiree and get your insurance through your former employer, you may very well be living in another state as you consume your coverage. Hasn't caused any problems for me.
Retired in place. Insurer is not located in my state but has a service area here. Have never had any coverage issues either. My VISA card has been turned down while on the road (fraudsters at work), but never my insurance card.

Quote:
I had one such credit card while living in Virginia. Didn't cause me any problems.
None of us is likely to run up against usurious rates with the federal funds base rate sitting at 0.5%. South Dakota is still benefiting from the old days though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2016, 01:34 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,767,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdallas View Post
I work in two offices. One in Texas and another in Chicago. Time is split 50/50 between the two. For in-network care, I have to have two separate health insurance policies (even with the same carrier) so that I'm covered in both locations which effectively doubles my premium and deductible requirements.
That's ridiculous
I was in a similar situation and ended up getting a Blue Cross / Blue Shield plan. Their network of providers is nationwide so it does not matter what state you are in, you will still be in-network as long as you go to one of their network providers. The list is pretty big, I have not had a problem.

Old 10-17-2016, 01:38 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,767,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countrysue View Post
I don't understand why insurance must be regulated by the individual states. Why not adopt a nationwide set of standards and let competition exist. Why is health insurance treated differently?
Blame the insurance lobby. They are trying to protect their turf. There is also a states-rights thing going on in which states get at little annoyed when they think the federal government is taking away their prerogatives for setting local laws. The Federalism dispute has existed since the USA was founded.

Old 10-17-2016, 03:47 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,623,096 times
Quote:
I don't see that.

First, most products we all buy are not from the state we live in. Why should the product of insurance be any different?

Second, if, like me, you are a retiree and get your insurance through your former employer, you may very well be living in another state as you consume your coverage. Hasn't caused any problems for me.

Third, my insurance covers me in any state I'm in (such as during vacations), or even when I was living overseas.

I had one such credit card while living in Virginia. Didn't cause me any problems.
I am very happy for you.

Do you think you are the rule?

I'm 55 and work 47 hours per week in a small family run business. They can't afford to buy insurance and keep the doors open. I lost 75% of my family income when my wife moved to Colorado for a new job and declined to have me join her.

My ACA sourced insurance in Ohio, which cost 25% of my income before a minor subsidy, is ONLY valid in 4 counties. The only exception is emergency room care, which has a $200 copay and is subject to a $2,000 deductible. Once a non-network hospital admits me, my insurance pays NOTHING of my expenses.

There is NO coverage for non-network physicians or services, and the two 800-pound gorillas of northeast Ohio medical care, the University Health System & the Cleveland Clinic, are completely unavailable to me, as is my local hospital run by Mercy. At least 90% of the local physicians, hospitals, ancillary services, and urgent care centers are associated with these three entities. The only major hospital available to me is Metrohealth Medical Center, which is the 'safety net' source of healthcare for most of the uninsured class, and which I have to pass five other hospitals to get to.

My cardiologist of over ten years just sent me a cheery card that he is transferring from one of the few remaining independent physicians groups to Cleveland Clinic, so now I either have to find another cardiologist or triple the cost of my insurance to have my visits to him covered,which I cannot even begin to afford.

So yeah, not everyone has access to your type of insurance.

Old 10-18-2016, 10:23 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,894,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
I am very happy for you.

I'm 55 and work 47 hours per week in a small family run business. They can't afford to buy insurance and keep the doors open. I lost 75% of my family income when my wife moved to Colorado for a new job and declined to have me join her.

My ACA sourced insurance in Ohio, which cost 25% of my income before a minor subsidy, is ONLY valid in 4 counties. The only exception is emergency room care, which has a $200 copay and is subject to a $2,000 deductible. Once a non-network hospital admits me, my insurance pays NOTHING of my expenses.

There is NO coverage for non-network physicians or services, and the two 800-pound gorillas of northeast Ohio medical care, the University Health System & the Cleveland Clinic, are completely unavailable to me, as is my local hospital run by Mercy. At least 90% of the local physicians, hospitals, ancillary services, and urgent care centers are associated with these three entities. The only major hospital available to me is Metrohealth Medical Center, which is the 'safety net' source of healthcare for most of the uninsured class, and which I have to pass five other hospitals to get to.

My cardiologist of over ten years just sent me a cheery card that he is transferring from one of the few remaining independent physicians groups to Cleveland Clinic, so now I either have to find another cardiologist or triple the cost of my insurance to have my visits to him covered,which I cannot even begin to afford.

Um, the latter ALWAYS happened. Arizona has seen a lot of mergers & acquisitions in healthcare before and after ObamaCare. It's business as usual. Similar to the rate hikes people berate ObamaCare on because as I've stated in other posts (not sure if it was this thread or the ObamaCare thread) BUT we saw prices rise annually in the 1990's and 2000's, way before ObamaCare was truly on the table. Arizona has these problems, in fact my mother had to change doctors partially because Banner (might have) strongarmed her old doctor to not have visitation if he wouldn't align with Banner (also he never really treated my mother's diabetes and just insulined her up and wondered why she gained weight...)

Old 10-18-2016, 10:36 AM

50,809 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
I am very happy for you.

First, I don't think anybody is living in what you call "the rule", and that is exactly why I prefer a national solution, rather than 50 state-by-state solutions.

In fact, every paragraph in your post -- to me -- simply points to the need for a national solution to health care.

Old 10-18-2016, 11:48 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,623,096 times
Quote:
First, I don't think anybody is living in what you call "the rule", and that is exactly why I prefer a national solution, rather than 50 state-by-state solutions.

In fact, every paragraph in your post -- to me -- simply points to the need for a national solution to health care.
On that we can agree.

Old 10-18-2016, 12:51 PM

4,224 posts, read 3,017,738 times
The progression cannot however be A > Z. It must be A > B > C > D > etc. Otherwise, the dislocation costs will be immense, including widespread job losses and folks who slip through the cracks and die. That wouldn't be good.

Old 10-18-2016, 05:02 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,254,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub-911 View Post
As they've done with the military, weather forecasting, and national statistics? All of those are at least among the very best in the world. Then there's the CDC, NIH, NASA, FDA, FDIC, and the interstate highway system. I could of course go on. And on and on.

Rumors of the feds messing everything up are greatly exaggerated.

And then there's the VA.

Old 10-18-2016, 05:42 PM

2,513 posts, read 2,789,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
The advantages of interstate health insurance far outweigh the disadvantages. There are too many states with no competition among insurance companies. If people could shop for insurance nationwide, there would be plenty of competition, and rates would go down. And health insurance companies should also be prohibited from discriminating by location. Whatever they charge you for a particular policy, they should charge you that same amount no matter where you live.
Winner! About the only insurer in my state is bcbs of Alabama.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates