Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2017, 01:31 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,940,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
If you are accustomed to privilege, equality will seem like oppression.
So you believe that 5 yr old children should be taught about sexual harassment in public schools?

Who will teach them about sex first? The kindergarten teacher? And you consider that ... equality?

So equality is when 0.05% of the population dictates the "education" of the other 99.5% in public schools?

Your argument has no merit.

Old 03-23-2017, 01:34 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,027,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
The whole bathroom/locker room issue is one that defies logic. Take one person who "feels" uncomfortable. Put them into a room with 12 to 60 other people who are NOW uncomfortable ... because that one person is there.

So one person vs. 60 people??? And it needs to be legislated so that one person's ability to pee and change clothes takes precedence over the majority.

It does not make logical sense. There is no way to rationalize it.

and how exactly will those 60 people know about the one??

Bathroom stalls have doors.....

and even 20 years ago when I was working out at a gym routinely, we had changing areas in the locker rooms that afforded privacy..... none of us was parading around and letting it all hang out in front of the other people in the locker room.....

maybe you use a different type of bathroom or locker room??

Old 03-23-2017, 01:45 PM

19,803 posts, read 9,353,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
I've said it before and I'll say it again: how can we possibly prepare ourselves for meeting other forms of life on other planets when we can't even accept the human lives that people live here on earth? Tolerance does not equal enabling. Tolerance should not be the end of your religion, but the central tenet of it if you are not being physically harmed. This isn't the same world it was back in the 1800s. We know more. That implies that we should also know better and treat each other better. We're adults now. We should act like it.

If you are accustomed to privilege, equality will seem like oppression.
I combined two of your quotes because I agree very much with the first paragraph above, but I fail to understand what you meant by the last sentence. I would like you to expand on that.

Do you consider it a privilege to not feel uncomfortable when using a bathroom, locker room, etc.?

Do you consider it a privilege to not have your very young children exposed to things you believe they are not yet mature enough to understand?

I also want to repeat what you said about tolerance being a reasonable expectation (to paraphrase) if one is not being physically harmed. How is someone not being allowed to make others uncomfortable physically harming him or her?

Yes, as it has been said over and over and over again in this thread, ad nauseum, that if transgenders would not make an issue out of such a relatively minor issue as being allowed to use any restroom, etc. they want, I and many others would not even be participating in this discussion. I mean, if a "male" looks like a female (for example) and does nothing to make anyone think otherwise, then why would the "bathroom thing" be a big deal at all? It is not as though women would be demanding to see a driver's license before allowing someone into the women's room! Most of us truly do have an attitude of "live and let live", as long as it does not negatively affect us.

This has been discussed "to death", but I have yet to read or hear a reasonable explanation as to why someone who is born "male" and looks "male" should have a problem using the men's restroom. Can you explain why?

Last edited by katharsis; 03-23-2017 at 02:10 PM..

Old 03-23-2017, 02:17 PM

27,196 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:
Do you believe that 5 and 6 year olds should be forced to learn about gender identity and sexual harassment by teachers mandated to teach certain literature?

Do you believe that a 13 yr old girl should be forced to change next to a 13 yr old boy who can watch her in her underwear and bra?

People don't care if someone is TG. They really, really don't. But when you start forcing the indoctrination on kids, it becomes a problem.

Keep it out of the schools. Keep it out of the legislation. And you will see public comments drop to zero.
So what are you advocating? Should we strap them to a stake and set them on fire or leave it to society to brutalize and bully which sets a great example for our children to utilize whenever anyone appears different? Truly the problem isn't the transgendered or the children, it's people like yourself that need to sit down and figure out what's wrong with your inability to let others make decisions for themselves.

Old 03-23-2017, 02:54 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,027,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
So what are you advocating? Should we strap them to a stake and set them on fire or leave it to society to brutalize and bully which sets a great example for our children to utilize whenever anyone appears different? Truly the problem isn't the transgendered or the children, it's people like yourself that need to sit down and figure out what's wrong with your inability to let others make decisions for themselves.

<<stands and applauds>>

Old 03-23-2017, 02:57 PM

19,803 posts, read 9,353,220 times
Quote:
There is a world of difference between what I and others are advocating (acceptance and tolerance but not to the point of letting the feelings of perhaps one or two members of a gym outweigh the rights of the other 200 members) and burning people at the stake! In fact, I don't think even one person on this thread has advocated any kind of bullying, let alone brutalizing.

And, btw, I don't think there is anything wrong with parents wanting to be allowed to decide what they want their children to learn, and I also don't think that very many parents would like their children to be taught that it is okay to bully anyone.

Old 03-23-2017, 03:10 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,940,989 times
Quote:
Point out exactly where I advocate violence, I'll save you the trouble, I didn't. It's not an argument to use with me, thanks for playing though.

I'm advocating for the agenda to be out of the schools and legislation.

Let's be honest here.

What rights to transgendered people NOT have?

Can they vote? YES
Can they drive? YES
Can they own property? YES
Can they marry? YES
Can they go to school? YES
Can they go to college? YES
Can they get a job? YES
Are they a protected class that affords them MORE protections under the law re hate crimes? YES

They have MORE rights everyone else. Now they can use whatever bathroom they want, they can be assured 5 year olds understand sexual harassment, and they are changing the English language to include zir, ey, and whatever other fill-in-the-blank pronoun they can make up.

So WHY do 5 and 6 year olds need sexual harassment training?
Why is a 13 year old girl subjected to changing in a locker room with a 13 year old boy?

I would LOVE to make decisions for myself. But apparently the gov't and schools won't allow it because they are forcing legislation and curriculum through the system. So schoolchildren have no choice.

If anyone wants to be transgendered GO FOR IT. But that is no reason for children to be force fed sexual propaganda.

Here's another newsflash: Kids don't care if people are different UNTIL they are FED PROPAGANDA that SHOWS them exactly how people are different.

So, please explain how sexual harassment training, forced disrobed socialization among middle schoolers, and butchering the English language "benefits" us all and takes care of violence against transgenders. Because that is your argument, right?

Old 03-23-2017, 03:39 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
Quote:
Point out exactly where I advocate violence, I'll save you the trouble, I didn't. It's not an argument to use with me, thanks for playing though.

Let's be honest here.

Can they vote? YES
Can they drive? YES
Can they marry? YES
Can they get a job? YES
Are they a protected class that affords them MORE protections under the law re hate crimes? YES

They have MORE rights everyone else. Now they can use whatever bathroom they want, they can be assured 5 year olds understand sexual harassment, and they are changing the English language to include zir, ey, and whatever other fill-in-the-blank pronoun they can make up.

Why is a 13 year old girl subjected to changing in a locker room with a 13 year old boy?

I would LOVE to make decisions for myself. But apparently the gov't and schools won't allow it because they are forcing legislation and curriculum through the system. So schoolchildren have no choice.

If anyone wants to be transgendered GO FOR IT. But that is no reason for children to be force fed sexual propaganda.

Here's another newsflash: Kids don't care if people are different UNTIL they are FED PROPAGANDA that SHOWS them exactly how people are different.

So, please explain how sexual harassment training, forced disrobed socialization among middle schoolers, and butchering the English language "benefits" us all and takes care of violence against transgenders. Because that is your argument, right?
Bravo. A well structured rational position statement. Don't see that much anymore. Now we wait ti see. Will there be a rational response, or a demand for your sources and name calling/branding? the quality level of modern capability for diuscussion is appallingly low. This is refreshing.

Old 03-23-2017, 05:11 PM

61 posts, read 70,960 times
There comes a time for change, and this is it.

Trump, establishment conservatives stated they will not touch LGBTQ legislation, or the same-sex marriage bill.

The times are changing, and you can learn to live with calling people another name if they wish.

I am serious though. More and more people come out every day. Try to tell all of these people, that you are sick of hearing about their wishes.

Once people are enlightened, they have a reason to push for change. Complaining about trans people on the internet, well let's just say is not the way to be politically active. If you really want to see a rollback call up those representatives, and go out and protest.

Old 03-23-2017, 05:23 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,213,440 times
Quote:

Let's be honest here.

Can they vote? YES
Can they drive? YES
Can they marry? YES
Can they get a job? YES

great post!!

this is pc b.s.

I had one neighbor convinced he should have been a girl when he was young...he was chunky and other boys teased him he had boobies.....

he eventually grew out of his chunkiness when older and married and has a family..

this is my issue with giving kids all this info they don't understand or are too young to grasp...
if they have a bad day, get called the wrong word,,, don't develop as fast as the other kids then "something is wrong" and "I'm too different" so maybe I am gay, maybe I'm suppose to be a different gender...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates