Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2017, 11:07 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,822,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
My disgust lies with the media trying to cram the issue down our collective throats. Why is where they go to the bathroom even an issue? Let them do whatever they've been doing all these years- why is it an issue all of a sudden?
Trans people would agree with you! There have never been laws dictating who can use what bathroom, and with the exception of a few perverts (who wouldn't let a law stop them anyway), people have happily, so to speak, used the bathroom they felt comfortable in.

Unfortunately, it's the RIGHT WING who suddenly made an issue of this by passing laws making it ILLEGAL to for some people use the bathroom they've been using all along with NO issue. Requiring a BIRTH CERTIFICATE to prove which bathroom to use?

Sorry, I'm in the state that brought us HB2, the most visible and publicized example of government overreach and overreaction. Repealing the law is the only solution, taking us all back to where we were in 2015 when nobody found an issue with bathrooms. But the Republican party won't allow that; it is THEY who have made this such a major issue instead of just repealing and moving on with much more important issues

Old 03-24-2017, 11:15 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,027,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
It is a mental disorder. Pretending it's not does a great disservice to a group that has a 40% suicide rate and needs help.

the high rate of suicide is a direct result of the ignorant and hostile attitudes displayed throughout this thread and in life in general......

Old 03-24-2017, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
Hmmm, now that I think about it, all the left-handed people I know make their own accommodations and have never expected the other 90% to change anything about their lives for them.
How are transgender people expecting the rest of the world to change their lives for them? How has any transgender person made YOUR life different? Trust me, they just want the same things you want, to go about their business as unobtrusively as possible. Even if a trans person uses the bathroom with you, they aren't "expecting" you to modify anything about your bathroom habits on their behalf. If your own discomfort causes you to change your routine, that's not their fault or their responsibility (in fact, some trans people I've talked to are extremely self-conscious using any bathroom and go out of their way to time it so that nobody is in there with them, because causing a ruckus even if they have a right to be there is just more trouble than they feel like dealing with every time somebody comes in the bathroom with them.)

It is similar to a white person in the 1950s claiming that allowing black people to use the same bathrooms as white people was unfair to THEM (white people) and their lives would somehow now be made difficult by it. Believe me, many white people did believe that they were in "danger" by having to be in the same bathroom as a black person. That was the white person's issue, not the black's. Similarly, if you are uncomfortable knowing a trans person is peeing beside you (and I would almost bet it has happened before and you just didn't realize it), it's your own problem to deal with, not theirs. But they aren't "expecting" you to change anything about your life as you claim, just expecting the same level of respect that humans give each other in bathrooms.

Plenty of people even among their own sex/gender don't like using public bathrooms if anybody is in there, especially "#2" with its itinerant noises, smells, etc. These folks have generally worked out a way to be in there when nobody else is; that's the same kind of small accommodation that can fix a lot of the perceived discomfort in this case.

Quote:
That and being left handed doesn't usually have an insidious political agenda that seeks to violate the rights of others associated with it.
Violate WHAT rights?

Last edited by Francois; 03-24-2017 at 11:50 AM..

Old 03-24-2017, 11:21 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,027,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
People don't have to be hostile to be honest - believe it or not. It's absolutely possible (and much more pleasant in my opinion, on either end of the situation) to be both honest AND polite at the same time.

Some people are more modest than others, especially around people who have differing genitalia than theirs (aka throughout history till very recently as "the opposite sex"). This doesn't mean they think they are the center of the universe.

I think your phrase "center of the universe" is ironic though, considering that it's actually people who consider themselves to be "transgender" who are taking center stage, and they are less than 1 percent of the population.

I have several MTF transgender friends, most of whom have had gender reassignment surgery..... and for those of you who think that can be done on a whim, you are SADLY mistaken...... but, back to my point.

If my friend walks into the ladies bathroom on March 24 and finds KA in her bra, drying her clothing at the hand dryers, but just goes about her own business, then she is in the wrong because she is pre-surgery......

but, if she walks into the bathroom on May 24, a month post-op, she is ok??

seriously??

Old 03-24-2017, 11:24 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
the high rate of suicide is a direct result of the ignorant and hostile attitudes displayed throughout this thread and in life in general......
Then why is the African American suicide rate significantly lower than the white suicide rate in the US and has been consistently lower for decades? "Lower" as in about HALF the rate as white folks?

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/hus/2011/039.pdf

In fact, why is the white suicide rate in the US so much higher than any other ethnic group?

Old 03-24-2017, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willistonite View Post
Do I care that American is turning to trying to keep everyone happy? Yes, Norway is happiest country in
the nation you know why? They have only 5 million people in their nation. We have 350 million and we are trying to keep everyone of you happy and we make no one happy. I nothing against transgenders or anyone else but we cannot give everyone special treatment is the country. Soon I am sure we will
be paying for their operations.
We already pay for thousands of things we disagree with. I disagree with someone who already has 5 children being able to take fertility drugs to keep having more, yet in many cases that's what happens. I don't like my insurance pool paying for lung cancer treatments for someone who won't give up smoking, or for orthopedic injuries for someone who went skiing while stone-faced drunk, but it happens all the time.

Old 03-24-2017, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
Another point of context over the bathrooms is the domino theory. If a citizen is on Medicaid and determines they want to switch genders, will there be a point where taxpayers are expected to foot that bill?
See my above post--we already foot the bill for cancer treatments for people who get lung cancer yet don't quit smoking, EVEN WITH CANCER. Public insurance sometimes pays for injuries incurred by people who were driving drunk and wrecked their car. Or were drunk and did any number of stupid things drunk people decide to do and then get hurt. That's the nature of insurance and we generally don't get to vote on who's claims get paid or don't. Medicaid policy is decided by lawmakers, however, and currently no kind of elective surgery is covered.

Old 03-24-2017, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
In most cases trans students HAVE been offered separate bathrooms or different places to change so that they DO have privacy. They don't want privacy. They want to change right next to the sex of their choice. They want to use that bathroom/locker room, without any thought to the other students. The other students don't matter.
Please cite cases where this has happened--where they refused to use a separate room that existed because they "wanted to change right next to the sex of their choice". We'll wait.

Old 03-24-2017, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
I have several MTF transgender friends, most of whom have had gender reassignment surgery..... and for those of you who think that can be done on a whim, you are SADLY mistaken...... but, back to my point.

If my friend walks into the ladies bathroom on March 24 and finds KA in her bra, drying her clothing at the hand dryers, but just goes about her own business, then she is in the wrong because she is pre-surgery......

but, if she walks into the bathroom on May 24, a month post-op, she is ok??

seriously??
Just to clarify - I never said or implied that "gender reassignment surgery" can be done on a whim. However, the way these bathroom and locker room laws are written, it's not required for a "transgender person" to have actually had surgery. Or for that matter, to have actually lived as a member of the other sex. All that is required is that a person -any person - wants to enter the bathroom by claiming that they self identify as a particular gender. Maybe that day. Maybe that hour. Maybe for a week, or a month, or whatever - the law doesn't specify. Or maybe never before that very moment - I mean, honestly, how can that even be gauged?

Look, I'm not particularly concerned about people who have had "gender reassignment surgery" or who for whatever reasons truly do identify and carry themselves as a woman being in the bathroom with me. For one thing, it's bound to be a very isolated experience considering that they make up less than 1 percent of the population. In fact, it's probably already happened.

My problem with the law is that it's poorly written - and that's because "gender issues" are not based on sound science to begin with so it's just about impossible to write a law that makes logical sense on this issue. So instead you end up with laws that basically boil down to "use whatever bathroom you want to and if someone has a problem with it, claim to identify with the sex that's on the door."

I'm a grown woman (yep, no question there - a woman, with female DNA to back that assertion). Though I prefer NOT to undress, use the bathroom, etc around men I don't know, or whatever - people with penises that I don't know - it's not going to kill me. But that doesn't mean I have to condone it or just accept it because a small but vocal minority decides to try to impose this on me.

Old 03-24-2017, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
See my above post--we already foot the bill for cancer treatments for people who get lung cancer yet don't quit smoking, EVEN WITH CANCER. Public insurance sometimes pays for injuries incurred by people who were driving drunk and wrecked their car. Or were drunk and did any number of stupid things drunk people decide to do and then get hurt. That's the nature of insurance and we generally don't get to vote on who's claims get paid or don't. Medicaid policy is decided by lawmakers, however, and currently no kind of elective surgery is covered.
Taxpayers footed the bill for "Chelsea" Manning. Who's next?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates