Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2017, 08:55 PM

4,314 posts, read 3,994,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
What rights of the majority are being trumped?
No one gives a rat's arse if girls feel uncomfortable sharing a bathroom with someone of the opposite sex or a shower room.

They are told..........." deal with it. the rights of transgenders trumps "

Old 03-20-2017, 08:55 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,011,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame22 View Post
So you're saying Caitlyn Jenner is biologically a woman in your reality? Interesting.
Nope.

I'm saying that she's a woman because that is her gender identity. I am perfectly happy to respect that someone identifies as one gender or another, whether or not I think that they "look like" a person of said gender, or they have particular physiological "equipment".

It is absolutely no skin off my nose to respect the fact that, for example, Caitlyn Jenner, identifies as a woman and would prefer that people use feminine pronouns while speaking to/about her. That she may or may not have a penis is irrelevant. That she may or may not look "feminine" to others is also irrelevant.

Old 03-20-2017, 08:57 PM

Quote:
No.

Physical biology is physical biology. Gender is not defined by physical biology.

I'm not "pushing" anything.

I'm merely accepting the idea that people have different experiences about their gender than I do.

From a purely physical perspective, of course.

Again, gender is not defined by physical biology.

If a bovine has a soctrum, penis, and testicles............he is a bull.
( not a cow "trapped" in a bull's body )

Old 03-20-2017, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
No one gives a rat's arse if girls feel uncomfortable sharing a bathroom with someone of the opposite sex or a shower room.

They are told..........." deal with it. the rights of transgenders trumps "
This has been happening for DECADES.

Girls have been sharing public restrooms with persons with penises for years. It was not a huge issue until some people in certain areas decided that girls *should be* uncomfortable. That these people were potential predators, and girls and women should be absolutely frightened about what could happen to them in public restrooms.

Nevermind that persons with penises have been using these restrooms for ages- with no adverse effect.

Old 03-20-2017, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
If a bovine has a soctrum, penis, and testicles............he is a bull.
( not a cow "trapped" in a bull's body )
Ok?

I'm not out to compare the intelligence and cognition of human beings to cows, but whatever floats your boat.

Old 03-20-2017, 09:03 PM

2,233 posts, read 2,403,693 times
Quote:
I wish I had a copy of the intake form at my doctor's office, because I'm sure they've made it to include "transgender man" and "transgender woman" as two of the options.

It should change because there are those whose gender identities don't match their physical being. It's not my experience, but I have no reasonable cause to deny the experiences of others. Why shouldn't I believe the transgender woman who identifies as a woman though she was born with, and may still have, a penis? Because it's not the way I view myself? Because it goes against the rigid binary gender structure that most of us have learned about?

Not good enough.

The gender that I identify with matches my genitalia. I can't tell you why others feel the way they do, and that it isn't "enough" for them just to do the things that are stereotypically male or female.

A transgender woman is a woman. A feminine man is a man.

For example, there is a vast difference between a man who cross-dresses and a transgender woman. The former doesn't identify as a woman, while the latter does.
I've always wondered why cross-dressers do what they do... If they don't want to identify as a woman, what's the point of dressing up like one?

Old 03-20-2017, 09:05 PM

1,098 posts, read 901,552 times
Quote:
Nope.

I'm saying that she's a woman because that is her gender identity. I am perfectly happy to respect that someone identifies as one gender or another, whether or not I think that they "look like" a person of said gender, or they have particular physiological "equipment".

It is absolutely no skin off my nose to respect the fact that, for example, Caitlyn Jenner, identifies as a woman and would prefer that people use feminine pronouns while speaking to/about her. That she may or may not have a penis is irrelevant. That she may or may not look "feminine" to others is also irrelevant.
It doesn't matter if it directly affects you or not. It matters how it affects society as a whole. Denying science and basic truths are regressive and unhealthy.

As the old country song used to go; "You've got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything." - We're slowly watching this line become a reality. Your age, sex, sexual orientation, gender, and species are things you just can't change. Believing you can is detrimental to the progress of society as a whole. It's something we SHOULD care about. Remember "pray the gay away?"... it doesn't work. Neither does genital mutilation.

I respect your opinion but I don't agree with it.

Last edited by Jame22; 03-20-2017 at 09:14 PM..

Old 03-20-2017, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
I've always wondered why cross-dressers do what they do... If they don't want to identify as a woman, what's the point of dressing up like one?
There are a lot of reasons for it.

Some like the feeling of women's garments.
Some have the idea that dressing as a woman is humiliating and they do it to indulge in that fetish. (That one, for obvious reasons, is a bit controversial)
Some like the femininity of it (the lace, delicate fabrics, etc.)
Just to name a few.

A lot of cross-dressers are straight men.

Old 03-20-2017, 09:19 PM

6,471 posts, read 6,674,898 times
Quote:
I wish I had a copy of the intake form at my doctor's office, because I'm sure they've made it to include "transgender man" and "transgender woman" as two of the options.

It should change because there are those whose gender identities don't match their physical being. It's not my experience, but I have no reasonable cause to deny the experiences of others. Why shouldn't I believe the transgender woman who identifies as a woman though she was born with, and may still have, a penis? Because it's not the way I view myself? Because it goes against the rigid binary gender structure that most of us have learned about?

Not good enough.

The gender that I identify with matches my genitalia. I can't tell you why others feel the way they do, and that it isn't "enough" for them just to do the things that are stereotypically male or female.

A transgender woman is a woman. A feminine man is a man.

For example, there is a vast difference between a man who cross-dresses and a transgender woman. The former doesn't identify as a woman, while the latter does.
If a patient checks off "transgender man" on a medical form, that person will need to be treated MEDICALLY as a woman. Words like woman and female need commonly understood definitions for doctors to be able to practice medicine effectively.

Most of the rest of what you said is just not making sense. If "gender identity" doesn't match the physical being, I still have to view the patient as the physical being that they are.

Now, some posters are talking about bigotry and hatred, and even the thread title included the word "disgusted." I feel none of those things toward transgender people (although, to my knowledge, I don't personally know any). My primary problem with transgenderism is that we are being told that if a man considers himself to be a woman, then WE should consider him to be a woman. And that is delusional.

Here is an analogy that I hope will not offend anyone:
I am not Catholic, so I have never believed that a priest has the ability to LITERALLY turn wine into the blood of Jesus. I do not treat Catholics hatefully or disrespectfully, but I will never understand how Catholics can look at wine, know that chemically the priest has not changed it, but believe it is TRULY blood via the doctrine of transubstantiation. It contains no hemoglobin, it does not have the structure of blood cells, it does not have DNA of Jesus, but their beliefs are that this wine has become the blood of Jesus.

Similarly, I will never believe that Bruce/Kaitlyn Jenner has become a woman. It is Jenner's belief, but not a biological fact.

Old 03-20-2017, 09:26 PM

Quote:
This has been happening for DECADES.

Girls have been sharing public restrooms with persons with penises for years. It was not a huge issue until some people in certain areas decided that girls *should be* uncomfortable. That these people were potential predators, and girls and women should be absolutely frightened about what could happen to them in public restrooms.

Nevermind that persons with penises have been using these restrooms for ages- with no adverse effect.
(2nd paragraph)

Not in any school my kids ever attended.

Please tell me where /when males and females used the same bathrooms together !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates