Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2017, 12:02 PM

50,787 posts, read 24,297,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassy Fae View Post
The rights of women.
Too vague.

What right?

Old 03-21-2017, 01:02 PM

3,497 posts, read 2,661,274 times
We never had a transgender problem until the last election cycle. Strange, I know.

Old 03-21-2017, 01:18 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,809,897 times
It seems ridiculous to me to find them so disgusting when they're just people and there are far more things in life to worry about if you want to worry about something (your own bed and carpets are scarier than transgendered people if you think too hard about it) but I can understand being a little creeped out or perplexed. If you don't know any transgendered people or even research them, it does seem like a foreign concept. I used to find it strange too until I saw a documentary. I think unfortunately though some people never grow to understand. It is likely that they are extroverts. Extroverts tend to see things in black and white. They spend more of their time talking simplistically than really thinking about things. I'm not saying they're all extroverts or that all extroverts do this but I find that this is commonly the case.

If you really think about it, gender is a societal concept. The only thing that is exactly the same about people of each gender is whether one produces an egg or sperm and the aesthetics or structure of the actual organ. Beyond that everything is varied (frequency and volume of periods, size of the boobs). Considering this does it really matter if one doesn't believe in their gender? You could argue that it's not okay to change your parts because if you produce eggs then you should always be able to produce eggs but some cisgendered women don't even follow their biology. Technically they have eggs but they might never wish to have children. They even get their tubes tied but most people wouldn't object to that surgery so why object to gender reassignment? Now if you don't want to pay for it that's fine but if they or someone they know pays for it I don't see the issue. As for aeshetics or structure, it's a more necessary form of plastic surgery for them and we wouldn't generally tell people not to get plastic surgery.

It is no different than living your life as a different age. They say that age is just a number. Some things are non negotiable (like if you want to drink alcohol you need to wait until you're chronologically 21) but many things are just society's expectations. While science should be believed in to a degree, it's not foolproof either. Even though there are certain things that have developed with me, I still get told "you look younger". My age does not correlate with my mind in some ways nor my physical appearance so considering that I think science can get it wrong with gender too. The only difference is I can't change my chrono age like I can my gender but if it was possible I definitely would because I'm far too behind what is expected in society.

I also find it highly hypocritical for people to be against changing your gender because in my experience these are often the same people that would tell me to act extroverted but that's literally in my DNA to be an introvert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthur View Post
To a gay person the entire world looks gay to them because they hang with gay people. Transgender people see only transgender people and because of this they both believe that there's a larger segment of society that should think like they do. But in the real world gays and transgender are not apparent and are hard to find.

Just like the media promoting everything Hillary before the election only to find that they were wrong in the worst way so goes the media's attempt to promote the gay and transgender world to the public. So much force fed news and the average person has a mental voiding and then becomes intolerant.

BTW the representation of gays and transgender in all the on camera media and reporting media is much higher then it is in the real world and this is another factor in the force feeding of the public.

They say that gays are only 7 percent of the population and that's probably true but that's a lot of people when you think about it as there's a lot of people in this world. Autistics are apparently even less of the population (only 1 percent) but we pay attention to them and rightfully so. Gays aren't difficult to find..at least if you're very observant like I am. Some of them just might not be out of the closet yet. Also if you extend it to people who get attracted to their own gender it's actually more common than you think. I think for women at least, sexuality is actually pretty fluid. The woman might not have an interest in dating another woman but to have sexual feelings for another woman is very likely sometime in her life. Most people won't admit to it but it does happen. I know because I've always been "boy crazy" and tend to find male characters more likeable than female in entertainment (also like more male musicians than female) so I'd be the least likely to experience this but there were a few times where I've been physically attracted to a few female celebrities.

Now transgenders tend to be more rare than gays but that doesn't change the fact that they do exist. Just because someone is a minority doesn't mean they don't matter. I say this as a person which has many ways of being a minority (introvert, mentally disabled and a true Aquarius..most people don't embody their star sign as much as I do. I also write with my left hand)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
The problem is that until 'transgender' became a thing a few years ago, you WEREN'T cisgender, you were just a man or a woman (sorry, I'm not familiar with your posting history ).

Taking the initiative to rename another group to legitimize your own is Social Engineering 101. Having it accepted is a home run.
Autism was probably a more modern concept as well but I'm sure some people were always autistic. They just didn't know it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
That is because transgender people are mentally ill. They need help, not people supporting and celebrating the delusion. Would you tell an anorexic how great she is but she would look better if she lost 10 more pounds? She thinks she's fat, although clearly she is not. Just like, clearly, people are biologically male and female by sex.
That's very different. Anorexia harms your health. Changing your gender does not as long as you have an experienced surgeon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
You think with your feelings, not logic.

I think with both. My logic tends to be more abstract but it's logic nonetheless. It's just deeper if anything and logic tells you literally nothing in life is guaranteed so that includes science. The only 100 percents in life are losing your life and taxes and actually even losing your life is not foolproof because the body of "you" might die but there is a possibility of reincarnation or eternal life. Now there are some things you can verify as facts like how I said women and men are very scientifically similar but there are other things that aren't easy to explain. No one knows everything about the world so let's not pretend to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame22 View Post
Uh, people in general don't hate gays or any minority for that matter. Some people have read the research and have decided classify transgenderism as a mental disorder, that's all. Doesn't mean they hate them. If you don't understand that then YOU are the small minded one. YOU are the bigot. Sorry if that makes you uncomfortable but it's true
No while it may be true that people are concerned about the transgender's health, a lot of people likely DO not like minorities. It's human nature to be judgemental about those who are different. They might pretend that they care but many people in reality don't. If they perceive a vulnerability in someone, they take advantage of that. I have observed people all my life and I see this all the time. Even if someone is good enough to care they don't understand us as well as they should. For instance, a huge percentage of people see the word "introvert" and think "oh I cannot work in a sales position because I never talk". Or they'll tell me "oh just lie everyone lies"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame22 View Post
Every cell of Caitlyn Jenner's body is male. That is fact. Period. It's not bigotry, it's not hateful, it's just the truth. Why should I have to warp my sense of reality because the media says I should? I think that's the bigger issue here. NO ONE has the right to police your opinions and that has clearly started to happen. It's bullying, plain and simple.
What do you mean every cell? Aside from the reproductive pieces, men and women are the same scientifically. Women and men both have BMs. They both urinate. They both experience flatulence and burping. They both grow hair on their pits. They both hiccup. We like to pretend we're more dainty as women and while generally that's true it's only with our choices not the body itself. If this was true there'd be no such thing as female body builders or women who play sports.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
There are a lot of reasons for it.

Some like the feeling of women's garments.
Some have the idea that dressing as a woman is humiliating and they do it to indulge in that fetish. (That one, for obvious reasons, is a bit controversial)
Some like the femininity of it (the lace, delicate fabrics, etc.)
Just to name a few.

A lot of cross-dressers are straight men.
True, it's also probably sometimes something to do for fun. It's kinda like me when I sing a song that talks about smoking, I use a pen like a cigarette. In reality I hate smoking so I don't wish to identify as a smoker. It's just fun to be a "method actor" once in a while. I also do this with Like a Boy by Ciara. I make gestures like the stereotypical man to get into character.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassy Fae View Post
There are people who do care though. My heart breaks for transgender children and I think those are stratified issues that need to be dealt with delicately, but I don't want my young daughters alone in unisex bathrooms with men. I don't want my daughters alone with grown men at all. Outside their dad.
I somewhat understand that but at the same time, you shouldn't trust women wholeheartedly either. A lesbian is most likely more dangerous than a transgendered person. The transgendered person is likely just trying to stay out of sight because they know they will be judged and isn't worried about harming your daughters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistym View Post
I'm not disgusted. I will admit that I don't quite understand it, but at the same time I can respect people's choice. I remember when Chaz Bono, (formerly Chastity) came out. I think she said she was a lesbian, then transitioned to being a male and has since dated women. So, is she a straight male?

I also recall an episode of "married to medicine" where the gyn had to examine a young lady who identifies as a young man prior to going through her transformation. During the discussion, you could see the emotional pain she was going through as she talks about it.

Then, there's Bruce Jenner, who after 3 marriages and multiple kids, now identifies as a woman but has not undergone the sex change and is still attracted to women. So is he a lesbian now? If he identifies as a female, what not get a complete sex change? Isn't the genitalia a part of your identity as man/woman?

Again, I certainly don't mind what people chose to do with their lives. I just don't understand GID. It's not as clear cut as someone who says they are gay or lesbian. Anyhow, I hope they are happy.
I agree with you actually. I admit I still find that part confusing. Does transgendered male mean you transitioned to be a male or does it mean you were a male at birth?
Also Chaz was a lesbian before but now straight? But if you always felt you were a male, then you wouldn't ever be a lesbian or would you? Because if you can change your gender, then maybe you can change your sexuality but they say you can't change your sexuality. No wait when they say you can't change your sexuality they mean you can't change who you're interested in but you can change the label right? Ugh idk thinking about it makes my head hurt.
However many labels are confusing anyway so I don't see it as a big deal. I just accept it as something that will always feel a bit messy to me and rightfully so because I'm cisgendered. It doesn't mean it's not legitimate. I'm also an overthinker so my confusion is not surprising.

Last edited by Nickchick; 03-21-2017 at 01:30 PM..

Old 03-21-2017, 01:19 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,939,806 times
This a great look at where we are headed with this movement. This was in a display at a college library.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T79dSYrjMQ0

Old 03-21-2017, 01:20 PM

3 posts, read 1,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post

No, "cisgender" is not a slur.

Sorry, but I do consider "cis" to be a slur. Every group decides what they like to be called. Blacks, Asians, transsexuals, gays, told us words the world at large called them were no longer acceptable. One of the reasons for that was because they didn't choose these words for their groups. That perfectly understandable and respectful.

What isn't respectful, and is downright offensive when you think about it, is when one group, minority or majority, decides what your group should be called, which is what happened with the "cis" word. Transsexuals, or whoever, decided everyone but them should be called "cis". We didn't consent to it or even ask for it.

Cis is offensive and a slur. I encourage anyone and everyone who hears or reads that word to stop whomever used it and tell them so.

It's offensive. It's a slur. Stop using it on me. I didn't consent to it.

Old 03-21-2017, 01:27 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,939,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC1984 View Post
Sorry, but I do consider "cis" to be a slur. Every group decides what they like to be called. Blacks, Asians, transsexuals, gays, told us words the world at large called them were no longer acceptable. One of the reasons for that was because they didn't choose these words for their groups. That perfectly understandable and respectful.

What isn't respectful, and is downright offensive when you think about it, is when one group, minority or majority, decides what your group should be called, which is what happened with the "cis" word. Transsexuals, or whoever, decided everyone but them should be called "cis". We didn't consent to it or even ask for it.

Cis is offensive and a slur. I encourage anyone and everyone who hears or reads that word to stop whomever used it and tell them so.

Here's a discussion on the use of pronouns, as promoted in a display at a college library. it even has a worksheet so you can practice your pronouns, such as ze, hir and ey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T79dSYrjMQ0

Old 03-21-2017, 01:34 PM

1,640 posts, read 794,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Too vague.

What right?
To start a woman's right to privacy, which has been forfeited for men in the public arena of bathrooms and locker rooms. Women's right to reasonable safety in homeless shelters, in prisons, and in public spaces like the bathrooms and locker rooms. Women's reproductive rights are becoming shelved and diminished because we have people who are not women saying they are women and that our fight for reproductive rights are trans phobic and exclusionary. The right for us, women, to define ourselves. Now we have men defining what it is to be a woman, and that is typically via stereotypes. Essentially simply losing any women's rights because transgendered women are men and if they usurp our rights they become men's rights.

Old 03-21-2017, 01:41 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,809,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC1984 View Post

How is it offensive? It doesn't bother me if transgendered people call me that. I know I'm someone who is nearly impossible to offend but at the same time even objectively I don't understand what's so offensive about it when it's calling you what you are.
Cisgender is a scientific term and "cis" is the abbreviation for it. Are you offended by the word hetero too? It'd be like someone getting offended by the word African American. Any reasonable person of that descent doesn't care whether you say black or African American. As long as you call them one of the two and not the N word negro or colored (and actually some African Americans don't care about the word negro or colored I think..the only general consensus is don't use the N word).

If you don't like the sound of it that's one thing. I for example don't like the word "breasts" but I also know it's the scientific term for female cleavage so I'm not going to tell everyone to stop using it.

Old 03-21-2017, 01:45 PM

1,640 posts, read 794,370 times
nickchick, in many states, including my own, any man has the right to invade my daughters privacy by simply stating for that day that he identifies as a woman. It makes no difference if it's true or not. Not that I think that matters. Even beyond the fact that TG women are not women, but men, women are being sacrificed for TG women. That's not cool.

Also, TG women are as violent as cis men both in action and word. In the end this is about the patriarchy ruling over women.

Old 03-21-2017, 01:48 PM

168 posts, read 150,921 times
Do what you want in your personal life.

But don't tell me I have to allow you to redefine what it means to be a man and a woman for our entire society.

It's not science. it's politically driven psuedo science.

There are only two genders and a lot of confused and gullible people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates