Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2017, 09:31 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,012,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
If a patient checks off "transgender man" on a medical form, that person will need to be treated MEDICALLY as a woman. Words like woman and female need commonly understood definitions for doctors to be able to practice medicine effectively.
Doctors are smart people, aren't they?

At least the ones I know understand the difference between a cisgender woman and a transgender woman, and will treat the patient accordingly- if only, at the very least, calling them by the pronoun that they prefer.

But I also think that using the term transgender man or transgender woman will give them a whole heck of a lot of information about their patient and possible issues that might come up. Hormone issues. Mental health issues. Surgeries. Just to name a few.

Quote:
Most of the rest of what you said is just not making sense. If "gender identity" doesn't match the physical being, I still have to view the patient as the physical being that they are.
For certain things, sure. But you are speaking as someone who was not involved in the primary care of this person. You know them from a chart. Essentially, you see what the doctor wants you to see.

But what about the primary care physician? Knowing if this person with a penis identifies as a woman can be extremely important information, and IMO, it would be absolutely reckless for the doctor not to have this information, if it is applicable.

Quote:
Now, some posters are talking about bigotry and hatred, and even the thread title included the word "disgusted." I feel none of those things toward transgender people (although, to my knowledge, I don't personally know any). My primary problem with transgenderism is that we are being told that if a man considers himself to be a woman, then WE should consider him to be a woman. And that is delusional.
Obviously, your feelings about it trump others' feelings about themselves. Unfortunately for those who deal with biases and hatred on a daily basis, you're in pretty good company.

Old 03-20-2017, 09:33 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,248,333 times
With all the problems in the world, why is this even an issue?

I don't care who gets breast implants. Pamela Anderson? Bruce Jenner? What's the difference?

I don't care where people go potty. We all live in homes with unisex bathrooms and nobody ever died from it.

Old 03-20-2017, 09:36 PM

6,471 posts, read 6,676,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
This has been happening for DECADES.

Girls have been sharing public restrooms with persons with penises for years. It was not a huge issue until some people in certain areas decided that girls *should be* uncomfortable. That these people were potential predators, and girls and women should be absolutely frightened about what could happen to them in public restrooms.

Nevermind that persons with penises have been using these restrooms for ages- with no adverse effect.
On these points I agree with you mishigas. If a person with a vagina "appears" to be male, in terms of clothing, hair, body shape, it could cause quite a commotion if that person used the women's restroom. Other women in there would assume a man had just entered their space!

So once these laws are passed requiring FtoM to use the women's restroom, then women will need to accept seeing people who appear to be men entering their restroom. And THAT would make it easier for an actual male pervert to simply walk into a women's restroom without being stopped or questioned.

All these bathroom bills are unnecessary and ridiculous, IMO. It is already illegal to molest, photograph, spy on, etc in a restroom. These laws won't stop actual perverts from attempting to do perverted things.

Old 03-20-2017, 09:39 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,012,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
(2nd paragraph)

Not in any school my kids ever attended.

Please tell me where /when males and females used the same bathrooms together !
When, for example, a transgender woman is out and about, what bathroom do you think she uses?

These are people who are living as the gender that they identify with. This hypothetical woman is probably going to use the lady's restroom. What, you didn't know that this happens all the time? It's been happening for decades now.

It's never been an issue, because it's NOT an issue. These women are living as women, and have the same need to use the lavatory as others do. And you've not noticed it because, for the most part, these women blend in.

Scary stuff, eh?

Old 03-20-2017, 09:53 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,248,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
When, for example, a transgender woman is out and about, what bathroom do you think she uses?
The one with the shortest line, just like every other woman.

Old 03-20-2017, 10:12 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,879,210 times
I forgot to list another reason, probably better deemed "aversion" or "fear" than "disgust." Now I recall the term - it's uncanny valley. Transgenderism is even cited in the Wiki page about it. Brief definition as it applies to many transgender people: they don't quite pass as their chosen gender.

Old 03-20-2017, 10:29 PM

4,314 posts, read 3,995,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post

I don't care who gets breast implants. Pamela Anderson? Bruce Jenner? What's the difference?

I don't care where people go potty. We all live in homes with unisex bathrooms and nobody ever died from it.
did your teen daughters and sons use the bathroom at the same time ?

Using the term "unisex" is apples to oranges

Old 03-21-2017, 01:26 AM

3,145 posts, read 2,658,400 times
I aint gonna lie, i am disgusted by them.

Old 03-21-2017, 02:22 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,257,489 times
Twenty years ago or more, I knew a couple in science fiction fandom where he was transetioning to male. Nobody mocked them or rejected them. He could be very annoying. He easily got into arguments and she forgot stuff in the room (fans usually share a hotel room at convenions) but that they were not your brand x sort of humans was not bad. There were others in fandom who had transitioned, and their choices were respected. I think when you know people from a fandom where its all about being in another reality it comes naturally. We'd dress up in hall costumes too, and we'd be who we wanted to be. A lot of friends in fandom still just call me nightbird, the name I picked for myself.

I used to wish the rest of reality was more like our little one. With hall costumes and competition ones for the main event, we invented an us that we wanted to be. And for a lot of us fandom is/was the sancuary where we could really BE ourselves.

We know whats inside us, what we turely feel, and to me if someone knows their body is the wrong gender, and they are miserable in this foreign body, its entirely their choice on how far to take the transition, not anybody else's business. If we could force others to change into the person we'd rather know, for instance make them diet so they aren't 300 lbs and wouldn't die so soon, so we wouldn't lose a friend it might make us feel powerful, but in the end its still not OUR choice.

As to altering the body, would you tell every customer of plastic surgery they shouldn't? Would you tell those of us who got grey that flaming red hair looks fake? That the various body refinements commonly done are 'unnatural'? People dye their hair,' change their face, add to deficent parts of the figure with bags of saline and its okay. It expresses the person inside. If a 'woman' does not feel like one and she chooses to become a man, and it brings fufullment, who has the right to say its bad?

The people I feel sad for are those who know there is this other person inside who's screaming at them to be free, and they have too much fear of others to let it happen.

Old 03-21-2017, 05:08 AM

1,640 posts, read 794,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post

There are people who do care though. My heart breaks for transgender children and I think those are stratified issues that need to be dealt with delicately, but I don't want my young daughters alone in unisex bathrooms with men. I don't want my daughters alone with grown men at all. Outside their dad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates