Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2017, 08:29 PM

37,617 posts, read 45,996,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
I came across this article the other day: Mother and son are becoming father and daughter | New York Post

It got me thinking about how many people still aren't very accepting of transgender people. I've read the comments people make about transgender people on various articles and CD posts, and few of them are positive. Why do you think that many people are still so intolerant of transgender individuals? It seems that most people are accepting of gay people now, but not transgender..

Is it because transitioning into the opposite sex is still too bizarre to comprehend?
Ya think??

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
Do you think transgender people just have a form of body dysmorphia and need to see a therapist? Do you believe you really can be born in the wrong body?
No I do not.

That said, I don't treat them with disrespect either.

Old 03-20-2017, 08:30 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,012,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
So I think you are saying female does not necessarily mean woman. Is that what you're saying? But on medical forms, male and female are the terms for men and women, respectively. This is where your statement that "gender is not defined by physical biology" makes no sense to me.
I wish I had a copy of the intake form at my doctor's office, because I'm sure they've made it to include "transgender man" and "transgender woman" as two of the options.

Quote:
And it brings me back to what I touched on in my first reply in this thread (post 3, I think). I absolutely acknowledge that there are feminine men, masculine women, and everything in between. Anyone can dress however, do whatever, put on makeup, jewelry, play football, go hunting, wear overalls and flannel shirts, race hot rods, grow roses----WHATEVER he or she prefers, despite how "traditional gender roles" have been lived out.

But I don't understand why the traditional male=man=has a penis and female=woman=has a uterus & vagina (with rare medical exceptions) should change. Can you explain that?
It should change because there are those whose gender identities don't match their physical being. It's not my experience, but I have no reasonable cause to deny the experiences of others. Why shouldn't I believe the transgender woman who identifies as a woman though she was born with, and may still have, a penis? Because it's not the way I view myself? Because it goes against the rigid binary gender structure that most of us have learned about?

Not good enough.

The gender that I identify with matches my genitalia. I can't tell you why others feel the way they do, and that it isn't "enough" for them just to do the things that are stereotypically male or female.

Quote:
How is a transgender MtoF different from a feminine man who likes to wear and do "girlie things"?
A transgender woman is a woman. A feminine man is a man.

For example, there is a vast difference between a man who cross-dresses and a transgender woman. The former doesn't identify as a woman, while the latter does.

Old 03-20-2017, 08:30 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,623,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
No, actually, I've been cisgender for almost the past 44 years. Taking it in it's simplest form, I identify as the gender that I was assigned at birth.

It's really not a conspiracy- just a way to differentiate between those who are transgender and those that are not.

It's not a "renaming". It's a method of distinction when one is speaking about these matters.

No, "cisgender" is not a slur.

ETA: And the term would probably not even be necessary if people accepted transgender women as women, and transgender men as men. So long as people are digging their heels in about this distinction, the use of the term "cisgender" (as a very linguistically applicable term) is not going to disappear.
This is exactly what I meant.

You should be differentiating between normal people and transgenders, not transgenders and 'others'.

The acceptance of Transgender as a legitimate 'thing' is a red herring leading into an Orwellian world where the public can be convinced of basic untruths through the acceptance of literally anything, as long as the media supports it.

Old 03-20-2017, 08:37 PM

1,098 posts, read 902,433 times
Every cell of Caitlyn Jenner's body is male. That is fact. Period. It's not bigotry, it's not hateful, it's just the truth. Why should I have to warp my sense of reality because the media says I should? I think that's the bigger issue here. NO ONE has the right to police your opinions and that has clearly started to happen. It's bullying, plain and simple.

Old 03-20-2017, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
This is exactly what I meant.

You should be differentiating between normal people and transgenders, not transgenders and 'others'.

The acceptance of Transgender as a legitimate 'thing' is a red herring leading into an Orwellian world where the public can be convinced of basic untruths through the acceptance of literally anything, as long as the media supports it.
This is interesting.

My acceptance of those who are transgender has nothing to do with the media, or being "left", or some other bizarro explanation that those who are uncomfortable with my views are likely to proffer. It has to do with actually speaking to those who identify as transgender, reading a whole heck of a lot, and deciding that, yup, I have absolutely no legitimate, rational reason to deny the existence of transgender people.

Old 03-20-2017, 08:40 PM

4,208 posts, read 4,457,265 times
//www.city-data.com/forum/psych...l#post35229523

Once I matured (~early 20s) the only people whose sexual preferences and proclivities I am ever interested in knowing are those in whom I am attracted to.

Old 03-20-2017, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame22 View Post
Every cell of Caitlyn Jenner's body is male. That is fact. Period. It's not bigotry, it's not hateful, it's just the truth. Why should I have to warp my sense of reality because the media says I should? I think that's the bigger issue here. NO ONE has the right to police your opinions and that has clearly started to happen. It's bullying, plain and simple.
Oh, this is interesting.

Your view of "reality" trumps all? Who died and made you the arbiter of what is real and what is not?

How is it bullying to comment about your opinion, and your fear of somehow "warping your sense of reality"?

ETA: Are you also one of those people who steadfastly refuses to use a gender pronoun that goes against what you view the person as? Do you cry "bullying" when someone calls you out on that too?

Old 03-20-2017, 08:49 PM

1,098 posts, read 902,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
Oh, this is interesting.

Your view of "reality" trumps all? Who died and made you the arbiter of what is real and what is not?

How is it bullying to comment about your opinion, and your fear of somehow "warping your sense of reality"?

ETA: Are you also one of those people who steadfastly refuses to use a gender pronoun that goes against what you view the person as? Do you cry "bullying" when someone calls you out on that too?
It becomes bullying when words like 'bigot' are used with absolutely no merit. You're not using that word, but some people on this thread are. It's closed-minded to say the least.

So you're saying Caitlyn Jenner is biologically a female in your reality? Interesting.

Old 03-20-2017, 08:50 PM
Status: "Moldy Tater Gangrene, even before Moscow Marge." (set 2 days ago)

5,790 posts, read 3,599,675 times
As for the bathrooms, this architect has an idea Smart Architecture Solves the Political Problem of Gender Neutral Restrooms | Moss Architecture . And no, its not like males and females won't be denied privacy either, any more than privacy is currently denied in same-sex restrooms today. Also, gender neutral bathrooms have been in Europe for years. Molesters will molest, no matter what their sex, gender, orientation matrix. You might as well fear transgendered males (anatomical female) going into women's restrooms and molesting girls. Same for fearing TG females going into men's room and molesting boys. Hell, why not fear lesbians hiding in women's restrooms and molesting girls or gay men in men's rooms to molest boys while you're at it. So, yes having unisex bathrooms with individual stalls is the best way around this one.

Old 03-20-2017, 08:54 PM

2,234 posts, read 2,405,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002 Subaru View Post
We're not disgusted with transsexuals - as long as they're males who are 'passable' females.
Do you mean they have had to take hormones and undergo various surgeries ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates