Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2017, 06:44 PM

6,471 posts, read 6,674,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
Because for someone who claims to have worked in the medical/science field, you are showing a lot of unfounded ignorance.

You were the first one to mention "chopping off body parts" which is not only an incredibly ignorant thing to say about surgery (yes, the surgeon just goes in there and chops of penises ,
You are right. My choice of words there was neither medically accurate nor socially sensitive. I apologize for that, and if you knew my posting history, you would know that is out of character for me. I should have said "surgically removed" rather than "chopped off."

Quote:
but then you keep pushing your apparently limited medical information about how a medical professional is supposed to treat someone who is transgender based only on the box they check and not any other medical knowledge.
That is not what I said at all. You have misread or misunderstood. We can absolutely agree that a medical professional needs a lot more information than "male" or "female."

Quote:
believe doctors are pretty smart people, and they will be aware that if a box is marked "transgender" there may be other factors in play, such as hormones, prior or upcoming surgeries, stress or violence in the person's life, etc. I believe that an intelligent doctor treating a transgender patient is going to understand that treating that patient is a little more nuanced than "Penis or vagina?" Because that's the most important thing when treating a patient.
Again, I agree with this. But many aspects of healthcare are automated and computerized, and set up to accept basic patient information such as age, weight, height, and SEX. Male or female are the only options on these pieces of equipment. So anything I said that you thought was simplistic, was because these machines allow only for M or F, based on actual biology, not on how a person "identifies."

I still do not consider anything I have said to be hijacking, and I assure you I am neither ignorant nor have "limited medical knowledge." If you're up to it, perhaps you could try to answer the questions that I sincerely asked, rather than merely be dismissive.

Old 03-21-2017, 07:18 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,809,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassy Fae View Post
Um, I don't know if you've ever had a physical altercation or have been attacked by a man, but let me say there is no comparison. Women are as easy to deal with ime as children. A man, OTOH, is incredibly strong in comparison. It's very difficult to fight off a man. Not so much when it's a woman.

Oh I'm not denying that the average man is stronger than the average woman but that's not the kind of people we're talking about. I have got my butt smacked HARD by my ex bf once and I hit him back just as hard. He cried and I didn't so some men are real sissies. He's apparently a straight (and cisgendered) guy too.

Real transgendered people aren't looking to harm someone like I said and if there was a rare creep who pretended to be transgendered, he's pretty weak if he has to pretend to be something he's not just to go into the bathroom. He's still a threat sure but no less than a woman. Only cowards fake their gender to harm someone in the bathroom.

As women we should stop seeing men as more powerful than us because if we don't we only give them more power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
I have read that a transgendered person feels like they are the opposite gender. As a natural born woman/female, I can't say that I know what it feels like to be "female." I only know what I feel like, which is different than how any other woman feels. How can a transgendered person "feel" like something as varied and hard to define as "how it feels to be female"?
I understand what you're saying. It seems like a difficult concept when you put it that way but I guess it's one of those things that you have to experience to get. It's like how I say my age is wrong and people would probably say "everyone is on a different path" but that doesn't change how I feel. I just feel like I'm too behind just as they feel they were born in the wrong gender.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
Medical treatment based on differences between men and women.
The doctor proclaiming "It's a boy!" at birth.
Sports teams based on sex and the advantage that males tend to have.
The desire most women have to find a male with whom to procreate (not saying every woman has this desire, but the vast majority do).
Understanding of basic differences such as men cannot give birth, breastfeed, or menstruate.
Life expectancy is longer for women than men.
If we no longer agree on what common words such as man, female, etc mean, then there is no way to accurately state the factual examples I just listed.

It does get muddy with this but that's only because they don't have the technology designed yet to make a MTF get pregnant for example.
Also I think the word transgendered helps until that time. I think doctors need to know not only when someone is biologically a female but also that they feel they are a male. It may affect the treatment because they may have started taking steps to try and become that gender already. So for now while it's a separate thing, I do think the gender they feel they are is very important.
If I could get doctors to understand it, I would probably tell doctors that my mind is not like the average adult's so I at least settle for the fact I have a mental disability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
You could also argue that straightening your teeth with braces is "unnatural". That wearing eyeglasses is "unnatural". That coloring your hair or getting plastic surgery is "unnatural". Even that taking cancer treatments is "unnatural"--after all, "nature" gave you crooked teeth, bad eyesight, a certain color hair, a certain shape of nose, and in some cases, cancer.

Really when you look at it, gender reassignment is just another kind of plastic surgery, something most people are fairly unconcerned about since it isn't their right to tell someone else how to modify their body, even if the first individual disagrees with it.

I totally agree with you. Most of the things we do in life are not actually natural. Shaving our armpits= not natural. Men shaving their face is not natural. Even vacuuming is not natural.
As much as I am natural when it comes to medicine, we don't have to take nature literally and never defy against it. I don't always agree with nature as much as I believe in avoiding toxins because nature gave us bed bugs and if you've ever had them you'll never complain about things being "against nature" again or at least you'd be insane to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame22 View Post
Wrong, Y Chromosome, look it up.
Different chromosome or not, you can't deny most of our bodily functions are similar. The chromosome only changes the reproductive parts. Also that's like saying I have to live my life with both of my chromosomes in mind meaning I have to live my life as my father's daughter. A doctor might need to know that your chromosome was such and such but in most other cases, the biology doesn't matter.

Old 03-21-2017, 07:23 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,559,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookspage View Post
If I decided that I am really a legless person that was born into a body with legs, would a doctor amputate my healthy legs?

Seriously asking
People do have disorders like that and no, we don't do it.

Old 03-21-2017, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
Just FYI: The vast majority of transgender people never get any kind of surgery, at all.

Of those who do, the majority of them only get "top" surgery - breast implants, or breast reduction.

Being transgender does not automatically translate into "chopping off body parts" and I don't know why so many people think it does. The American obsession with what is inside other people's underwear has always confounded me.
Phrasing it that way is meant to demean those that don't agree with your viewpoint. It's like this overnight sensation that the whole country is expected to suddenly fully understand and embrace and change all the bathrooms over ........ it's too much.

There was a bill in Houston that would have passed giving protection to gays and TG in housing, employment, etc. but the bathroom thing killed it.

That was a really stupid move. TGs are already using the bathrooms of their choosing. Ramming it down our throats that way is not doing them any favors.

They turned down a HUGE advancement in getting legal protections for housing, employment, etc. by INSISTING the bathroom thing be codified as law. Stupid.

Old 03-21-2017, 07:37 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,809,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
People do have disorders like that and no, we don't do it.
Of course not, legs are essential to living a healthy life so it's a whole different situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
There was a bill in Houston that would have passed giving protection to gays and TG in housing, employment, etc. but the bathroom thing killed it.

That was a really stupid move. TGs are already using the bathrooms of their choosing. Ramming it down our throats that way is not doing them any favors.

They turned down a HUGE advancement in getting legal protections for housing, employment, etc. by INSISTING the bathroom thing be codified as law. Stupid.

That sounds like a horrible decision. However, I wonder if they felt the protection would make any difference and the bathroom thing is just easier to enforce. Supposedly I have protection as a mentally disabled person and I never get hired anyway whether I disclose or not. I'm not sure about the housing though. I would think you can enforce that. Also if as you said they were already doing it does it matter? Maybe they got tired of hiding who they were to do something basic because before the law was passed they were likely being super cautious on revealing who they were.

Old 03-21-2017, 07:53 PM

5,129 posts, read 2,596,292 times
I don't like it because it is not natural.

Old 03-21-2017, 07:57 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
I feel bad for these people because it's a severe problem whether it's in the mind or the body. What bothers most of us isn't the individual, but the current push to normalize something that isn't normal, and the unintended (or maybe intentional) consequences it's having on society.

Old 03-21-2017, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickchick View Post
Of course not, legs are essential to living a healthy life so it's a whole different situation.

That sounds like a horrible decision. However, I wonder if they felt the protection would make any difference and the bathroom thing is just easier to enforce. Supposedly I have protection as a mentally disabled person and I never get hired anyway whether I disclose or not. I'm not sure about the housing though. I would think you can enforce that. Also if as you said they were already doing it does it matter? Maybe they got tired of hiding who they were to do something basic because before the law was passed they were likely being super cautious on revealing who they were.
It would make a difference. A big difference. For a major city in Texas to have legal civil rights protections for gays and TGs? Huge advancement.

Old 03-21-2017, 08:01 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,678,036 times
I have no problem with Transgender people. However I will not date a male to female (transwoman), that is a no no for me. I can't get past he fact that they were male at one point.

Old 03-21-2017, 08:04 PM

1,412 posts, read 1,083,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleh View Post
I don't like it because it is not natural.
Totally... Same reason I don't wear clothes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates