Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2017, 07:55 AM

1,098 posts, read 901,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
That's why I am trying to educate people here about the term gender, and the sexologist John Money and his experiments and viewpoints on children and sex.

There is a LOT of ignorance regarding his views and "research" and how he created the term gender as we use it today, based on his pedophiiliac experiments with children.
Kings and Queens were around long before John Money. The idea that gender sprung out of nowhere in the past 100 years is complete BS. Gender is ingrained in our DNA. We may have had a different word for it but that doesn't change the fact that it's always been there.

Old 03-21-2017, 09:14 AM

19,021 posts, read 14,198,297 times
One thing is for certain, those whose plumbing doesn't match their claimed gender present a problem (or risk) when dealing with gender based expectations.

For example, only male citizens are obligated to train, fight, and die on command (militia duty). Does a transgender female (formerly male) get an exemption? Does a transgender male (formerly female) have to serve like all other males?

Old 03-21-2017, 09:33 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,117,757 times
Uhh.......it's unnatural?

Old 03-21-2017, 09:34 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,117,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
One thing is for certain, those whose plumbing doesn't match their claimed gender present a problem (or risk) when dealing with gender based expectations.

For example, only male citizens are obligated to train, fight, and die on command (militia duty). Does a transgender female (formerly male) get an exemption? Does a transgender male (formerly female) have to serve like all other males?
Great post. Can't wait for the convoluted responses!

Old 03-21-2017, 09:37 AM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
Why wouldn't they? If someone has committed to one gender or the other, then the standing expectations for the committed gender apply.

Looks like a dude, walks like a dude, claims to be a dude, then treat him like a dude.

It's only the ditherers who present a problem.

Old 03-21-2017, 09:37 AM

1,412 posts, read 1,083,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame22 View Post
Kings and Queens were around long before John Money. The idea that gender sprung out of nowhere in the past 100 years is complete BS. Gender is ingrained in our DNA. We may have had a different word for it but that doesn't change the fact that it's always been there.
Yup. Two-spirit, mahu, muxe, koekchuch, hijra, kocek, the cult of cybele, etc.

Trans people have existed all over forever.

Old 03-21-2017, 10:20 AM

625 posts, read 902,860 times
I'm not disgusted. I will admit that I don't quite understand it, but at the same time I can respect people's choice. I remember when Chaz Bono, (formerly Chastity) came out. I think she said she was a lesbian, then transitioned to being a male and has since dated women. So, is she a straight male?

I also recall an episode of "married to medicine" where the gyn had to examine a young lady who identifies as a young man prior to going through her transformation. During the discussion, you could see the emotional pain she was going through as she talks about it.

Then, there's Bruce Jenner, who after 3 marriages and multiple kids, now identifies as a woman but has not undergone the sex change and is still attracted to women. So is he a lesbian now? If he identifies as a female, what not get a complete sex change? Isn't the genitalia a part of your identity as man/woman?

Again, I certainly don't mind what people chose to do with their lives. I just don't understand GID. It's not as clear cut as someone who says they are gay or lesbian. Anyhow, I hope they are happy.

Old 03-21-2017, 10:34 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,681,102 times
I don't think it's disgust as much as it is a simple lack of understanding at something that most people don't understand. A cisgender person isn't going to understand because they can't walk a mile in a trans person's shoes. The best that they can do is try to pretend for a moment, what it would feel like to be in the wrong gender's body. This is very difficult or even impossible to do with any sort of realistic perspective.

Another contributing factor is that most trans-rights discussions and informational sources seem divisive, and even angry. It seems that all too often, cisgender people are blamed for being discourteous, using incorrect pronouns, and not being conscious enough of trans issues or pretty much anything relating to them. I can understand why a person with internal conflict would be angry and frustrated, but blaming the world at large for not catering to their conflict is simply not productive.

Old 03-21-2017, 11:43 AM

50,787 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
No one gives a rat's arse if girls feel uncomfortable sharing a bathroom with someone of the opposite sex or a shower room.

They are told..........." deal with it. the rights of transgenders trumps "
Why do I have this idea that in many matters you will steadfastly deny that certain things -- such as health care -- are rights, but in this discussion "feelings" are rights.

I'm uncomfortable with the tone of your posts in this topic. Are you therefore infringing on my rights?

Old 03-21-2017, 11:55 AM

2,573 posts, read 3,502,557 times
Personally I don't know any transgender but I have no problem with them. They can use whatever bathroom they wish to use. I have two daughters and I am pretty sure they will have no bathroom-issue with them as well. IMO it's pretty silly to bring wife/daughter as soon as someone talks about transgender and bathroom. Males are more terrified by this thought (don't know why - do they follow wife/daughter everywhere just in case....) but I am sure they can handle this issue. I also find this idea ridiculous that a straight man will enter in women's bathroom pretending he's transgender just because....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates