Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 08:06 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,883,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I've known people who hate Filipinos. Thinks they should all be deported back to the Phillipines because they don't believe in diversity.

That okay with you?
They have the right to their opinion. I am a moderate on immigration who believes the key is adopting immigrants who are willing to assimilate. Probably no group of immigrants is more easily assimilated than Filipinos. English is one of two national languages and their Independence Day is July 4th.

A welfare state should base immigration based on who is likely to be an economic asset and who is not along with security issues.

In the absence of the welfare state I would be a liberal on immigration. Sadly, we can no longer take in the poor huddled masses yearning to be free.

Cultural diversity tends to lead to civil wars.

Old 03-29-2017, 08:38 PM

50,770 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
They have the right to their opinion. I am a moderate on immigration who believes the key is adopting immigrants who are willing to assimilate. Probably no group of immigrants is more easily assimilated than Filipinos. English is one of two national languages and their Independence Day is July 4th.

A welfare state should base immigration based on who is likely to be an economic asset and who is not along with security issues.

In the absence of the welfare state I would be a liberal on immigration. Sadly, we can no longer take in the poor huddled masses yearning to be free.

Cultural diversity tends to lead to civil wars.
So basically, if you have an ethnic minority that you like, you get to choose that we keep that ethnic minority. Well, while I didn't marry a Filipina, I did have a long term relationship with one, and I didn't see a tremendous amount of assimilation. Nor did I see a particular benefit to us in their coming here. Or is it because they're generally Catholic that makes them acceptable.

Don't get me wrong. I have known quite a few Filipinos and generally like them. But the point is that you're just picking and choosing based on your personal tastes. That's not an immigration policy.

Old 03-29-2017, 09:07 PM

3,562 posts, read 4,393,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
The strength of the military (and a good number of other successful militaries over the centuries) is to erase the lines that define diverse cultures in the civilian community and replace them with a diversity of its own.

At the end of my very, very, long first day in basic training, our instructor pulled us into a huddle before sending us to bed. He was a buck sergeant named Jimmy Weeks from South Carolina, about five-five and built like a fire hydrant. He talked out of the side of his mouth with a twang that could curdle milk.

He told us: "One thing we ain't gonna have in this flight is racial troubles.
"The reason we ain't gonna have no racial troubles is because you ain't got no reason to have racial troubles.
"The reason you ain't got no reason to have racial troubles is because you're all the same color, namely green.
"You all got the same hair...namely none.
"You all got the same daddy...namely me.
"And you all got the same wants and desires...namely to get the @#$%@ out of here!"

The military culture is alien to everyone. The military does not remove individuality, the military removes the dividing lines of the civilian world--no long hairs, no short hairs, no Guccis, no Levis--and then creates its own dividing lines: Different services, different occupations, different ranks...but all members of the same body with the same mission and the same commander.
Aye, Aye, Mate! Such were the principles imbedded deep in the hearts and minds of those of us Fortunate Enough to have Honorably Served in the United States Military.

We proudly wore the Uniform of our respective Military Branch. Mine was the US Navy.

While racial tensions did arise at times, that all went by the wayside whenever our lives, limbs, safety, or camaraderie resulted in a dependence on each other.

A particular incident comes to mind: Several of my fellow Hole-Snipe Propulsion Engineers were "Good Ole Boys" from the deep south. I wasn't exactly on their "friends list" given my multi-racial background. They weren't on mine either. Yet, one day, after a two day back-and-forth slug fest between a US Marine and myself, I was awarded 45 days of restriction by our Captain. The Marine got nothing. However, the "Good Ole Boys" took it upon themselves to dispense justice on the Marine. I remember them coming to my bunk, drunk as Sailors tend to be, telling me of the chase and beating they gave the Marine as we drank from a bottle of booze they'd snuck on board to share with me. We respected each other evermore from that moment. We became close friends.

Old 03-29-2017, 09:08 PM

4,314 posts, read 3,994,226 times
Quote:
So basically, if you have an ethnic minority that you like, you get to choose that we keep that ethnic minority. Well, while I didn't marry a Filipina, I did have a long term relationship with one, and I didn't see a tremendous amount of assimilation. Nor did I see a particular benefit to us in their coming here. Or is it because they're generally Catholic that makes them acceptable.

Don't get me wrong. I have known quite a few Filipinos and generally like them. But the point is that you're just picking and choosing based on your personal tastes. That's not an immigration policy.
By their acts, we shall know them.

I never read of Philipinos recruiting others in the US to leave and go to foreign terrorist training camps.

I never read of Philipinos killing a bunch of US citizens in the name of Jesus Christ.

Muslims?
Many times !

Old 03-29-2017, 09:40 PM

24,098 posts, read 32,448,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
a billboard out side of Harrison Arkansas........" Diversity is a buzzword for white genocide "

Just lovely.

Old 03-29-2017, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
By their acts, we shall know them.

I never read of Philipinos recruiting others in the US to leave and go to foreign terrorist training camps.

I never read of Philipinos killing a bunch of US citizens in the name of Jesus Christ.

Muslims?
Many times !
Well, it might surprise you to know that I don't have a problem banning immigrants from some Muslim countries. You jump to conclusions too much.

Old 03-29-2017, 09:49 PM

28,664 posts, read 18,771,597 times
Diversity in liberal politics is kind of a trick-bag. Their concept of diversity isn't really more than skin-deep.

True diversity would mean embracing some extremely different and uncomfortable cultural characteristics, and liberals don't really want that.

Old 03-29-2017, 10:06 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,204,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Diversity in liberal politics is kind of a trick-bag. Their concept of diversity isn't really more than skin-deep.

True diversity would mean embracing some extremely different and uncomfortable cultural characteristics, and liberals don't really want that.
Apparently neither do conservatives according to this thread. Having different races and ethnic groups are fine as long as they follow the law of the land.

Old 03-29-2017, 10:09 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,204,319 times
Quote:
Well, it might surprise you to know that I don't have a problem banning immigrants from some Muslim countries. You jump to conclusions too much.
Which countries? Almost all of the incidents involve either home grown people who were radicalized or from countries that are not on the list.

Old 03-30-2017, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
Which countries? Almost all of the incidents involve either home grown people who were radicalized or from countries that are not on the list.
You ask me which countries, and then you talk about "the list".

I have nothing to do with Trump's list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates