Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2017, 10:34 AM

50,826 posts, read 24,335,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002 Subaru View Post
If you want to capitalize it to keep things equal, use 'African-American.' 'White' isn't capitalized, either, so it's not like blacks are being left out.

Oh, I talk race face to face, I find it interesting. What isn't interesting are white social justice warriors who think they KNOW the black/Hispanic/Asian/Middle Eastern experience because they somehow feel sorry for them and suffer from white guilt.
Hey, I'm married to a woman of color, work with different ethnicities and actually have colored friends who've been to my home.
I'm going to tell you why I don't use African-American (unless, of course, and African-American asks me to in a personal conversation). At my school we had a parent meeting one night. And a White parent stood up to speak about test scores and said that she didn't feel the African-American children were adjusting well enough to the school. A Black parent stood up and said, "We are not African-American. Several of us here are still citizens of African nations and are here because we work at embassies or corporations with ties in Africa. So stop saying African-Americans all the time."

As to your comments above...good for you! I'll consider your experience more carefully when you post.

Old 04-01-2017, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
My point, like it or not, is that most Americans are not just German-American, African-American, or any other (one area)-hyphen-American. And that includes most Blacks. The only possible (probable?) exception are Latinos and Middle-Easterners and some others of recent immigration.
That's true. And I can only speak for my own family as I grew up, but my grandmother's (on my mother's side) side claimed to be Irish. But guess what...actually mostly German. Guess they didn't want to associate with the German background due to the 2 world wars (?). On my father's side, my grandparents were pretty much all Irish, though in my father's generation, that began to be more ignored.

Old 04-01-2017, 10:46 AM

8,011 posts, read 8,210,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
(last sentence)

But why did so many Muslims get concerned if bib-Laden received a proper Muslim burial ?

On one hand, Muslims proclaim bin-Laden's religion had nothing to do with theirs.
But yet they insisted he got a proper Muslim burial ?

If a radical Catholic blew up abortion clinics constantly and held training camps on how to do it and how to kill abortion doctors, I doubt the Pope would be insisting he got a proper Catholic burial.

I doubt other Catholics would be insisting either.
Did every Muslim in this country insist that he get a proper burial? I mean if you want to grasp for straws.

I also wonder if the refugee/jihadist problem would be as large if us Americans and the UN never got involved in that region.

I wonder why so many of you don't ask that question.

Old 04-01-2017, 10:52 AM

In terms of this bashing of "social justice warriors"...2 things to keep in mind.

1. Go back through posts about race on City-Data, and look at the original post in all of the threads. If I were to tally those original posts as being by SJWs or anti-diversity folks, I would guess that well over 90% of those threads have been started by the anti-diversity folks. And they want to post their venom and think that no one that appreciates diversity is going to respond.

2. You're either "for" justice, or "against" justice. I'd much rather be "for" justice.

And, as to why the topic interests me (and others), that gets down to different issues for different people. Some people are interested in the topic because they are prejudiced against people who are different than themselves. It may be race, it may be other aspects of ethnicity. It may be nationalism. Or, as in my case, it is because it is what I have worked in and lived in for most of my adult life. As a teacher who taught (and then administered) in the suburbs of Washington, D.C., the least diverse school I worked in was about 30% Black, Latino, and Asian students; one school I taught in was over 50% Black. Staffs I worked with ranged from 2% minority teachers to 40% minority teachers. Bosses I had were as likely to be Black as not. All that doesn't make me an expert, but it does make race a personal part of my life.

Old 04-01-2017, 10:53 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,998,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
Did every Muslim in this country insist that he get a proper burial? I mean if you want to grasp for straws.

I also wonder if the refugee/jihadist problem would be as large if us Americans and the UN never got involved in that region.

your 2nd paragraph reeks of..........."bin-Laden was justified "

Old 04-01-2017, 10:59 AM

Quote:

(1st paragraph)

I don't know about "every Muslim in this country" , but I do know a prominent older poster here who is Muslim and very non-radical got upset when I posed that question to him and stated bin-Laden was entitled to a proper Muslim funeral.( he also was a moderator, but his posts were not from being a moderator )

Every internet site I ever posed that question, otherwise non-radical Muslims would pounce at that and declare bin-Laden should receive a proper Muslim burial.

Old 04-01-2017, 11:52 AM

Quote:
your 2nd paragraph reeks of..........."bin-Laden was justified "
I'm impressed with your ability to dodge my question in the 2nd paragraph while expressing your extremely binary worldview.
Quote:
(1st paragraph)

I don't know about "every Muslim in this country" , but I do know a prominent older poster here who is Muslim and very non-radical got upset when I posed that question to him and stated bin-Laden was entitled to a proper Muslim funeral.( he also was a moderator, but his posts were not from being a moderator )

Every internet site I ever posed that question, otherwise non-radical Muslims would pounce at that and declare bin-Laden should receive a proper Muslim burial.
Aside from the face that a few Muslims you know on the internet is not a large sample size do these Muslims you know express anti-American views? And how often? And anti-American doesn't mean any opinions that conflict with yours.

Old 04-01-2017, 12:29 PM

Quote:
I'm impressed with your ability to dodge my question in the 2nd paragraph while expressing your extremely binary worldview.

Aside from the face that a few Muslims you know on the internet is not a large sample size do these Muslims you know express anti-American views? And how often? And anti-American doesn't mean any opinions that conflict with yours.
I do know that in city in MN, where I once worked for 23 years, a young Muslim went on a stabbing rampage in a shopping mall stabbing people in the name of "Allah " until an off duty policeman shot and killed him.

Immediately the Muslims turned that tragic event into a huge pity-party for Muslims.

Sounds as though liberals couldn't care less for the stabbing victims but were more concerned about the reputation of Muslims in St Cloud .

Old 04-01-2017, 12:46 PM

Quote:
I do know that in city in MN, where I once worked for 23 years, a young Muslim went on a stabbing rampage in a shopping mall stabbing people in the name of "Allah " until an off duty policeman shot and killed him.

Immediately the Muslims turned that tragic event into a huge pity-party for Muslims.

Sounds as though liberals couldn't care less for the stabbing victims but were more concerned about the reputation of Muslims in St Cloud .
It doesn't seem like you're adding anything to the discussion instead of your utter contempt for liberals (in a thread that isn't even political even and your belief that all Muslims are pure evil) Never mind the fact all people across political ideologies mourned the victims of 9/11 and the victims of the Boston marathon.

Of course I could ask you how do you mourn the lost of the black South Carolina church goers who were killed by Roof, or the Aurora shooting victims, or Sandy Hook victims, or Santa Barbara victims.

But this thread isn't about that. It's about diversity.

Old 04-01-2017, 01:36 PM

Quote:
It doesn't seem like you're adding anything to the discussion instead of your utter contempt for liberals (in a thread that isn't even political even and your belief that all Muslims are pure evil) Never mind the fact all people across political ideologies mourned the victims of 9/11 and the victims of the Boston marathon.

Of course I could ask you how do you mourn the lost of the black South Carolina church goers who were killed by Roof, or the Aurora shooting victims, or Sandy Hook victims, or Santa Barbara victims.

But this thread isn't about that. It's about diversity.
(2nd paragraph)........you wouldn't hear me demanding those murderers receive a proper Christian burial if they were shot in the act.

Neither would I organize a "pity-party" for whites.

Diversity..........means " difference"

I am explaining "differences" in how groups react when one of their own is a mass murderer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates