Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2017, 11:01 PM

876 posts, read 813,512 times

Advertisements

There is a device in our room that watches us all the time. We're in a continuous state of low level conflict with an unseen, but hated enemy. Language has devolved into politically controlled nonsense.

A state of war that never ends serves the military industrial complex and the terrorist groups equally well. More of our dollars and rights are surrendered to fight the other side, but we're really never sure who they are.

There is nothing that has worked against terrorism other killing all the combatants, which is impossible, since they can take months or years off between attacks to conceive of new ways to get around the increasingly intrusive counter measures.

They will succeed in killing scores of people every year, and perhaps thousands of people on 9/11 scale attacks. Islam is on a collision course with the rest of the world. In 20 years, the US will be having the same issues as the European countries that are home to millions of Muslims. Of course not every Muslim is a terrorist, but that religion isn't addressing the giant elephant in the room. They protest loudly when some idiot attacks of their own, but when one of their blows themselves up at airport, they scream "Islamophobia" when the motivation of the murderers is revealed.

Other religious groups when through their murderous phases, but hundreds of years ago. This is the age of science and reason, but Islam is stuck in a mindset incompatible with the modern world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2017, 11:46 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,208,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Yeah. Japan's extremists are roaming the world blowing up concerts, buildings and subways. </SARCASM>
I'm not sure what you are getting at but you don't understand my point at all nor do you understand the scope of these islamists extremists. But sure simple solutions for the simple.

Last edited by Ro2113; 05-29-2017 at 01:07 AM..

Old 05-28-2017, 11:49 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,208,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I think most of us in this forum recognize that there are times that some level of war is necessary.

But then there's another group of people in the forum who relish war. Whether it's lamenting that we didn't "finish the job" in World War II, or the Korean War, or the Vietnam War, and eventually in the Middle East War that they hanker for. They post over and over again about war. I'm not sure whether it's a sort of sport for them, or whether it's a sort of macho-ism. What's especially is concerning is that they aren't the ones who are going to fight these wars. They're the keyboard warriors who seem to like playing the lives of American soldiers as if they are game pieces on a board game. Perhaps what they ought to do is become soldiers of fortune and go blow themselves up, instead of trying to nudge this country into a hot war (because they're not a bit satisfied with a cold war).
I couldn't of said it better myself. You'd think it would be the younger men who would be bloodthirsty. I wonder how many of these older warhawks would be so gung ho if they were called overseas to get shot at.

Old 05-29-2017, 11:22 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Firstly non-Muslim Americans are more likely to commit acts of terror than Muslims are IN America. I'm going by the general definition that terrorism is a term used in its broadest sense to describe the use of intentionally indiscriminate violence as a means to create terror or fear, in order to achieve a political, religious or ideological aim. While religion is A reason for terrorism, it isn't THE reason for most American acts of terror. Dylan Roof, Jarred Loughner, abortion bombers, all commited acts of terror but yet weren't tried for them. However, Muslims who do less damage are charged with it.

I honestly don't know how to fight terrorism as we don't know who the next attack maybe. Intelligence can give us ideas but these car attacks are entirely random as oppose to bomb placing which people are much more vigilant on. Nobody expected a fan convention in Phoenix would be the site of a potential terrorist attack with cops and a celebrity as the confirmed targets. I don't think people expected the 2013 Boston Marathon to be a target. Yet when we counter-correct policies people complain. In light of Boston, NFL stadiums ban bags that aren't clear and are 12"x12"x6" or a 4.5"x8.5" clutch in protection yet people ******* about that. At that convention, prop weapons were banned in light of that attack, yet people ******* about that too.

Old 05-30-2017, 06:46 AM

35,071 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Firstly non-Muslim Americans are more likely to commit acts of terror than Muslims are IN America. I'm going by the general definition that terrorism is a term used in its broadest sense to describe the use of intentionally indiscriminate violence as a means to create terror or fear, in order to achieve a political, religious or ideological aim. While religion is A reason for terrorism, it isn't THE reason for most American acts of terror. Dylan Roof, Jarred Loughner, abortion bombers, all commited acts of terror but yet weren't tried for them. However, Muslims who do less damage are charged with it.

I honestly don't know how to fight terrorism as we don't know who the next attack maybe. Intelligence can give us ideas but these car attacks are entirely random as oppose to bomb placing which people are much more vigilant on. Nobody expected a fan convention in Phoenix would be the site of a potential terrorist attack with cops and a celebrity as the confirmed targets. I don't think people expected the 2013 Boston Marathon to be a target. Yet when we counter-correct policies people complain. In light of Boston, NFL stadiums ban bags that aren't clear and are 12"x12"x6" or a 4.5"x8.5" clutch in protection yet people ******* about that. At that convention, prop weapons were banned in light of that attack, yet people ******* about that too.
This post ignores just about all realities. Dylan Roof, Jarred Loughner, James Holmes and the Connecticut school gunperson whose name escapes me were victims of severe, clinical mental illness. They did not have any discernible "political, religious or ideological aim" except possibly Dylann Roof. The Muslim agenda is obvious; they don't like what they see as the licentiousness and capitalism of Western societies. Alternatively they are pressing a tribal war. Either way there is group planning, affiliation and incitement.

Please don't try to paint all with the same brush.

Old 05-30-2017, 10:22 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
This post ignores just about all realities. Dylan Roof, Jarred Loughner, James Holmes and the Connecticut school gunperson whose name escapes me were victims of severe, clinical mental illness. They did not have any discernible "political, religious or ideological aim" except possibly Dylann Roof. The Muslim agenda is obvious; they don't like what they see as the licentiousness and capitalism of Western societies. Alternatively they are pressing a tribal war. Either way there is group planning, affiliation and incitement.

Please don't try to paint all with the same brush.
Jared Loughner despite being certifiably Looney Tunes, was anti-government and wanted to shoot Rep. Gabby Giffords and kill her for not "addressing the U.S. literacy problem." That would define a political motive, making this terrorism. The reason why it wasn't terrorism however is because there was not proven to be "the act appearing to be intended to intimidate or coerce a "civilian population."' Partially with Loughner pleading the fifth.

James Holmes with Aurora's The Dark Knight Rises wasn't distinctly terrorism and he picked a theater rather than an airport since it would be "easily confused with terrorism." I apologize on this.
That said it is interesting how some movies did get effected by the attack, and not in an anti-gun violence way. I mean box office mojo shows that for 2008-2012 WB had a pretty big blockbuster release the third weekend of July. The interesting thing was the drop from Dark Knight Rises was the biggest for the rest of the summer (this could also be lack of competition too.) Also exits were pointed to before but now it is not white noise during a theater's policy trailer. So maybe it was unintended terrorism?

Adam Lanza in Sandy Hook Elementary School,, again no political and just body count similar to Holmes with Aurora. And there really isn't anyway to prove it was even unintended terrorism unlike Aurora. I will apologize on this one entirely.

The point is, many of us use terrorism in everyday life in the wrong way claiming something so small to be terrorism. Many wonder if the Boston Marathon was even truly an act of terror or if it is due to the religion of the brothers. My point is, just because of a person's religion don't make it terrorism in it of itself. Muslims could kill for any number of reasons, like a Christian can, a Jew could, an atheist, a polytheism, etc. The act itself isn't terrorism unless the act is political in nature. We just happen to have some bias to think Muslims are more likely to commit acts of terror than others.

Old 05-30-2017, 06:20 PM

17,308 posts, read 12,251,233 times
The actual religious zealot who wants death of all non-believers is a bit of a rare bird. The bigger problem is simply poverty and lack of education. It's nearly impossible to talk someone living a decent life into blowing themselves up.

But someone living in abject poverty, unable to feed his family? Tell him that his family will be taken care of and he will earn his way to heaven? Unable to even read to look at what the texts say themselves? Well that's someone who is going to be more receptive to that sales story. Person recruiting him isn't even necessarily really religious themselves, just out to cause chaos for some personal gain.

Old 05-30-2017, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
The actual religious zealot who wants death of all non-believers is a bit of a rare bird. The bigger problem is simply poverty and lack of education. It's nearly impossible to talk someone living a decent life into blowing themselves up.

But someone living in abject poverty, unable to feed his family? Tell him that his family will be taken care of and he will earn his way to heaven? Unable to even read to look at what the texts say themselves? Well that's someone who is going to be more receptive to that sales story. Person recruiting him isn't even necessarily really religious themselves, just out to cause chaos for some personal gain.
The 911 bombers were by and large educated and middle class. When "education" from Day 1 is nothing but incitement what do you expect?

Old 05-30-2017, 11:03 PM

17,308 posts, read 12,251,233 times
Someone capable of taking over and flying aircraft would be some of those rare birds. But the rank and file guys fighting on the ground are another story.

But yeah, need education rather than indoctrination. Don't know how you achieve that externally without "regime change" but we all know how well that works out.

In the end the only way for there to be any sort of end to this is for the native population to rise up. Iran with the secular green movement is getting there.

Old 05-31-2017, 06:34 AM

Quote:
But yeah, need education rather than indoctrination. Don't know how you achieve that externally without "regime change" but we all know how well that works out.
How do you educate close to one billion people, especially when their education now is veiled incitement for continued tribal war?
Quote:
In the end the only way for there to be any sort of end to this is for the native population to rise up. Iran with the secular green movement is getting there.
Except we didn't support the green movement. And even with a president less weak-kneed than Obama there are serious problems supporting insurgencies in generally recognized countries. While I support a policy change in this area one has to ask themselves how we felt about Britain's quasi-support of the Confederacy, indirectly through modern Canada. In fact Britain more or less declared Canada independent as a direct result of British unhappiness with Nova Scotia's trading with the U.S. enemy when that no longer suited Britain's purposes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates