Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2017, 05:09 AM

808 posts, read 711,544 times

Advertisements

I agree that humanity's best days were behind us. The new AI stuff scares me. If scientists aren't a lot more careful about how they develop robots and new technology of that sort, we might have robots causing lots of problems, or even taking over the world and killing us all. (I'm sorry if that sounds straight out of a third-rate sci-fi movie).

If the world had stayed where it was and stopped "progressing" in the 1980s before Internet and Facebook were things, I think we'd be at least as well off, if not better, than we are today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2017, 11:13 AM

4,627 posts, read 3,396,306 times
As detailed in the recent book, "The Better Angels of Our Nature," by Steven Pinker, a professor of psychology at Harvard, we live in the most peaceful and non-violent period in human history.

The central thesis of the book is that our era is less violent, less cruel and more peaceful than any previous period of human existence. The decline in violence holds for violence in the family, in neighborhoods, between tribes and between states. People living now are less likely to meet a violent death, or to suffer from violence or cruelty at the hands of others, than people living in any previous century.

This doesn't answer the OP's question about the future but it does say something about today...

Old 05-28-2017, 02:29 PM

5,661 posts, read 3,524,492 times
I believe our worse days are ahead of us and soon.
Maybe in my lifetime.
But for sure in my children and grandchildren's lifetime.

Technology will be the bane of our existence.
I see that path already.

Old 05-28-2017, 02:37 PM

884 posts, read 1,172,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troglodyte74 View Post
When I was 40, I said I was glad I was 40 and not 4. When I was 50, I said I was glad I was 50 and not 5. At 67, I say I am glad I'm 67 and not 6.7. Humanity's best days are in the rearview mirror. If the world is a place anyone wants to be in 100 years, I'd be very surprised. If the planet is still populated by humans in 200 years, I'd be astounded. I don't think I'm a pessimist; I think I'm a realist.
I agree, I am not looking forward to what the world will look like in 50 years (and I may very well still be alive). I don't think it's pessimism either. Look at the world around you where profit is king and nobody has empathy for anyone. I don't see that changing anytime soon.
One silver lining (for me) is that I chose not to have children but I still worry about upcoming generations and the struggles they will face.

Old 05-28-2017, 02:37 PM

4,768 posts, read 5,443,661 times
It will always get better and worse for some. I just wish people would be more discerning and stop believe everything without verifying sources. Change is inevitable so it will always be better to initiate change and not be controlled by it.

Old 05-28-2017, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blind spot View Post
I agree, I am not looking forward to what the world will look like in 50 years (and I may very well still be alive). I don't think it's pessimism either. Look at the world around you where profit is king and nobody has empathy for anyone. I don't see that changing anytime soon.
One silver lining (for me) is that I chose not to have children but I still worry about upcoming generations and the struggles they will face.
I see empathy fading too, blind spot.

Why do you think it is?

Old 05-28-2017, 03:10 PM

2,599 posts, read 2,324,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YITYNR View Post
If the world had stayed where it was and stopped "progressing" in the 1980s before Internet and Facebook were things, I think we'd be at least as well off, if not better, than we are today.
I think we'd certainly be healthier in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blind spot View Post
Look at the world around you where profit is king and nobody has empathy for anyone. I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Lower crime but profit is king and less empathy. Zero sum.

Old 05-28-2017, 03:12 PM

3,135 posts, read 2,259,211 times
I believe that all signs point to the eventual collapse of governments as we now know them. I base this on several things.

* The world's population is quickly exceeding governments ability to rule effectively.

* Terrorism is an uncontrollable monster that has defied all attempts to eradicate it. Yes, some progress has been made in slowing it down,but it is so wide spread and firmly entrenched in so many countries that it can't be stopped.

* The earths natural resources are being stretched to the breaking point. So far,science has managed to keep up to a point,however with the continuing exploding population and climate concerns it's only a matter of time before there isn't enough food and water for everyone.

I seriously doubt that we have more than 25 years left before we see the first attempts at a one world government. Which by the way, many people believe to be the answer to the aforementioned problems.

I guess we shall see!

Old 05-28-2017, 03:14 PM

2,599 posts, read 2,324,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalanta View Post
I see empathy fading too, blind spot.

Why do you think it is?

People are worked harder than before. More stressed. People aren't as friendly.

Empathy fading is an excellent example of people losing (even if slightly) their humanity.

Old 05-28-2017, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousgeorge5 View Post
People are worked harder than before. More stressed. People aren't as friendly.

Empathy fading is an excellent example of people losing (even if slightly) their humanity.
I agree.

I also think we are loosing human interaction time due to people working harder, easy to text, kids on video games alot etc.
Less human interaction time socially can mean less empathy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates