Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2017, 02:48 PM

2,508 posts, read 2,174,100 times

Advertisements

I like all types of international cuisine. However, I will boycott any and all food from the countries that the U.S. has a bad relationship with - and, I will never eat that type of food again because I really want to punish these countries............Yeah, right.

Old 06-01-2017, 03:35 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,143,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman View Post
I am not suggesting that ethnic Chinese generally would do such things as put something in a persons food because we are at war with china and killing ethnic Chinese people. But we have to remember that blood is thicker than any political system so even though a Chinese in America may not like his(or her) government over seas that doesn't mean they don't identify with those Chinese where they came from.
Also, if a Chinese cook Omaha suddenly got word that dear uncle Cho was killed in the war with americans do you think that he wouldn't have some thoughts of revenge maybe. Maybe not but all it takes is one.

The tricky part is that Chinese food may not be cooked by ethnic Chinese. For example, in the chain takeout Panda Restaurants in L.A., I saw a lot of cooks are actually Mexican and White guys.

On the other hand, a lot of Japanese restaurants and Thai restaurants are actually owned by ethnic Chinese. Their cooks are also ethnic Chinese.

Most ethnic Chinese I found are in the fast food joints like McDonald and Burger King. The one who flipped the burger for you have most likely just been in the country for months and hardly couldn't even speak any English. I would say they have the strongest bond with their kins in China.

So according to your "Blood thicker than political system" theory, you are more vulnerable to being poisoned in McDonald or Burger King than PF Chang if a war erupts between US and China.

Old 06-01-2017, 03:42 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,143,628 times
Hmm.....But that would be too extreme. I guess they would just add mucus onto the beef patty in your Big Mac. Probably you won't detect it right away until you have blood test to find out that you are infected by Hepatitis B.

Old 06-02-2017, 02:25 AM

37,127 posts, read 42,189,292 times
I would because most Chinese restaurants I eat at are run by Chinese American citizens who probably wouldn't be any happier about a US/China war than me.

Old 06-02-2017, 09:04 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,987,107 times
Last time I checked, you didn't have to be Chinese to cook Chinese style food.

Also, this post from the OP really disturbs me.

Quote:
But the harsh reality would be that we would be killing ethnic Chinese as well as them killing us. That is the reality of war plain and simple.
So, OP, do you think we should set up internment camps like we did to the Americans with Japanese heritage during WW2? Or should we just round them all up and throw them in an oven? Or, how about we go into your local China Town and just start capping them off one by one? If you are an American citizen, you are an American... plain and simple, and you are treated as such.

Old 06-02-2017, 09:11 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,824,183 times
Quote:
I personally haven't come to any definite conclusions about this question. But the harsh reality would be that we would be killing ethnic Chinese as well as them killing us. That is the reality of war plain and simple. I wouldn't expect Chinese restaurant workers to consider me in a friendly way since they would have a sound reason not to like me. The worst scenario would be an attempt on their part to contaminate ones food. I enjoy Chinese food but I think that if there was a war between us and them that I would think twice before eating in a Chinese restaurant.

Silly question - In a modern vernacular, it would not be Chinese 'food' killing people, but Chinese 'soldiers.' This is similar to the notion that giving-up guns would stop crime. It's not guns that commit crimes, but, criminals. Or, referring back to the initial question, 'It's not Chinese food, but, Chinese soldiers with guns who would be the enemy.' (More likely radical Islamic terrorists with guns, not Mid-Eastern food)

Old 06-02-2017, 11:25 AM

35,002 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Go back and look at why they bombed us. We are friends with the Saudis, we helped Al Queda defeat the Russians in Afgan, and we helped Saddam in Iraq against Iran. Don't be blind thinking it's patriotic to support every military effort. Dig back to our history and go figure out why we invaded Iraq, why we go to Vietnam. Why Osama Bin Laden attacked us and how ISIS is formed why do we keep messing with world affairs to the detriment of those countries.
This is off topic, but let's be clear. The U.S. and the West have the right to defend their property and interests.

Old 06-02-2017, 11:58 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,771,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
Last time I checked, you didn't have to be Chinese to cook Chinese style food.

Also, this post from the OP really disturbs me.

So, OP, do you think we should set up internment camps like we did to the Americans with Japanese heritage during WW2? Or should we just round them all up and throw them in an oven? Or, how about we go into your local China Town and just start capping them off one by one? If you are an American citizen, you are an American... plain and simple, and you are treated as such.
I never called for the persecution of ethnic Chinese and never gave any indication that I approved of that sort of thing. I think you are sort of giving yourself the moral highground to get a pat on the back my moralist types. As far as ovens who ever threw anyone into ovens? If you say Germans that has been proven false and is no longer even a debate amongst holocaust revisionists or even holocaust exterminationists. Its as old as soap and lampshades.

Old 06-02-2017, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Buy a cookbook and make it yourself. Not difficult.
I made my own chow mein last night and it wasn't too bad.

Old 06-02-2017, 12:05 PM

Quote:
You're wrong. You seem to have no understanding of what life is/was like in countries like Russia/Soviet Union and China, and why people leave, and how they feel about the government. You don't get it, therefore you see things overly simplistically, and create a nonsensical topic like this.
I think you don't get it. Life may have been tough in the Soviet Union and China but that doesn't mean the people from those countries to immigrate to the U.S. hate their own people. They hate their government. And when we go to war with their country we aren't killing their government we are killing people just like them---same ethnic group and everything. I won't say that you see things simplistically but that you don't comprehend things right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates