Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2017, 12:09 PM

1,329 posts, read 831,588 times

Advertisements

That's just stupid. Many Chinese restaurant workers aren't even Chinese citizens.

Old 06-02-2017, 12:58 PM

5,020 posts, read 7,444,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DT113876 View Post
That's just stupid. Many Chinese restaurant workers aren't even Chinese citizens.
AND how do you know if you're meal isn't being cooked by a Chinese guy in a different kind of restaurant??

Old 06-02-2017, 01:05 PM

3,226 posts, read 6,636,381 times
Yes I would, the food is not delcaring war on my country, family and friends or myself.

Old 06-02-2017, 01:13 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,143,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman View Post
I think you don't get it. Life may have been tough in the Soviet Union and China but that doesn't mean the people from those countries to immigrate to the U.S. hate their own people. They hate their government. And when we go to war with their country we aren't killing their government we are killing people just like them---same ethnic group and everything. I won't say that you see things simplistically but that you don't comprehend things right.
I would say that it depends on if the one in the same ethnic group being killed is soldier or civilian.

For example, if there is a skirmish in the South China Sea on those largely uninhabited atoll or rocks (which is the most likely scenario if there is a conflict between US and China), then the loss of life will mainly be combatants.

Under that scenario, I think neither Chinese will hate Americans, nor Americans will hate Chinese.

But if there is a large scale land war which involves the mass loss of civilians on either side, then that will generate hatred, i.e. Japanese invasion in 1937 which led to the Nanking Massacre.

And if the land war is a proxy war waged on foreign soil, i.e. Korean War, it would generate some anti-Chinese or anti-American sentiment but probably does not last long since the casualties are mostly military personnel.

So the Chinese cook in the Chinese restaurant may not hate you because his brother died unless his brother was servicing on a destroyer in the South China Sea.

Old 06-02-2017, 01:32 PM

And even if there is a land war waged between two countries, that may not necessarily generate hatred.

It depends on the discipline of both armies.

Unlike the notorious Soviet Red Army who raped two million German girls and Japanese Imperial Army who conducted the Nanking Massacre, both Chinese and American soldiers are highly disciplined. Seldom is there any report of abuse of civilians in the battles they got involved.

In fact, when the US Army invaded Beijing in 1900 during the Boxer Rebellion, US actually generated goodwill because it donated all the money that the Chinese court gave for indemnity to build the elite Tsinghua University which many Chinese leaders graduated from.

Last edited by Ian_Lee; 06-02-2017 at 02:06 PM..

Old 06-02-2017, 01:55 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
If I got tired of eating on base, I might go eat at a Chinese restaurant. However I woudl go to one where other members of the invasion force were eating and had eaten in the past. If they did not poison the invader the day before, it is not too likely they woudl suddenly start.

Old 06-02-2017, 02:14 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,987,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman View Post
I never called for the persecution of ethnic Chinese and never gave any indication that I approved of that sort of thing.
Actually, that's exactly what you said by saying "we would be killing ethnic Chinese" and that it is just a fact of war. Why would we be killing ethnic Chinese here in the states if we went to war with China? You can try and spin your way out of it, but everyone here knew exactly what you meant when you typed your original post.

Old 06-02-2017, 02:24 PM

The more imminent issue is if there is a war erupting between North Korea and US, should we allow Kimchee to be sold on the Asian supermarket?

According to the OP's theory, since Koreans die as a result of the conflict, the Kimchee may be poisoned.

I guess his grandfather or great grandfather didn't eat pizza or spaghetti because we were at war with Italy.

Old 06-02-2017, 03:09 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,472,347 times
I don't know if this is possible. A fact I heard that as of last decade, the number Chinese restaurants in the US outnumbers McDonalds stores! Granted, McDonalds is impressive in the fact that a single restaurant is that ubiquitous across the US landscape, but still... it'd be like asking if Americans would be wiling to give up McDonalds!

Like McDonalds, Chinese restaurants have closed down, but they're all over the US map for a reason... because people DO eat there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
This is the weirdest thing.

I find it disappointing when people can't separate the actions of a government from the people of a nation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
mmmm, Yea. The Chinese who are here have no love of the Chinese government. I highly doubt they would have any animosity toward the country if we went to war with China. They certainly wouldn't be trying to harm fellow citizens.
It's nice to be able to quote off of others who not already said what you were going to say, but did it much better

In many countries, their citizens and their government are often quite removed. Yes, citizens need to follow laws, and government should be serving the people and helping out with societal stuff. But that's the extent of it given your average citizen. Many foreigners in their own countries have said they love Americans, even though they don't agree with their government (for the US, as a "world leader", and for China, as a large player in the world's economy), or have actually been harmed by their policies.
They've met Americans before, and for the most part, they're not unlike them. They work hard, have sound moral principles, take care of each other, and appreciate good food and company.

Old 06-02-2017, 03:16 PM

17,567 posts, read 15,226,764 times
How in the blue hell has this topic made it to 11 pages?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates