Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2017, 10:43 PM

1,059 posts, read 830,516 times

Advertisements

I live in the Bay Area and have for 42 years.

There are entire cities on the Peninsula that are primarily Indian. No more American restaurants. I have gone days when I did not hear English spoken. Don't get me wrong - multiculturism is great - but it appears to be tilted in one direction.

Hopefully, the H1-b visas will slow down. Several of the Indian "tech mills" have been shut down due to illegal activity. The H1-b visa holders who come here directly instead of through Indian contract agencies worked hard and have their employers "sponsor" them and they are paid the same as American workers. Totally different - shall I say "class."

I have often seen Indian women panhandling on corners with small children in tow. I wonder how they ended up here???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2017, 01:41 AM

574 posts, read 382,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Not everyone has the opportunity to come here legally. How do you decide on a fair method of assigning the criteria for which immigrants to allow in and which ones not to? And what is a reasonable amount of fees and red tape to put up with, and why? Tell me what your opinion is, not just that the law is the law, which I already knew. The discussion is not about what the law is, it is about what the law ought to be.
I have stated my opinion, and that would be that an immigrant comes in legally (no criminal actions), and that law actually happens to be my opinion. I have no opinion on the fees/red tape, other then that we have laws and borders for a reason. If one advocates for illegal immigration, we might as well not have laws at all then. If you wouldve read my response, you would've had my opinion as i form my opinions on laws and common sense

Old 06-29-2017, 02:36 AM

1,142 posts, read 1,142,434 times
Quote:
Not everyone has the opportunity to come here legally.
And you still mix up legal and illegal aliens. Legal aliens are NOT in the same category as illegal aliens. You might want to look up the definition of legal and illegal.

When Obamacard was announced (Dreamers Act, or whatever it is called), my friends in the US who had applied and were waiting for Green Cards were not amused. These are the people who had been paying taxes, respecting and adhering to laws, and patiently waiting for their GC's after spending so much money. And yet, people who came in the US illegally were given an option to bypass these guys. Of course, they accepted it coz they knew they were powerless.

Since you are a native, you may not know this, but an illegal alien is NOT the same as a legal one.

Last edited by nirvana07; 06-29-2017 at 02:47 AM..

Old 06-29-2017, 06:38 AM

2,230 posts, read 1,714,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie1004 View Post
I live in the Bay Area and have for 42 years.

There are entire cities on the Peninsula that are primarily Indian. No more American restaurants. I have gone days when I did not hear English spoken. Don't get me wrong - multiculturism is great - but it appears to be tilted in one direction.

Hopefully, the H1-b visas will slow down. Several of the Indian "tech mills" have been shut down due to illegal activity. The H1-b visa holders who come here directly instead of through Indian contract agencies worked hard and have their employers "sponsor" them and they are paid the same as American workers. Totally different - shall I say "class."

I have often seen Indian women panhandling on corners with small children in tow. I wonder how they ended up here???
H1-B visa itself isn't evil, but allowing Indian tech mills to abuse the visa is a very serious problem.

Allowing unscrupulous Indian contract agencies to abuse the visa is unfair to legitimate companies that really need foreign workers to stay competitive in the global market.

Old 06-29-2017, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Look, I get that sometimes, in the short run, immigrants can outcompete natives on certain jobs in certain areas. I will grant that. But you have to consider that this does not apply to all immigrants, especially when you consider the long term. As has been pointed out before, most of us are descended from immigrants.

Immigration allows GDP to grow in the long run. This actually lessens the impact of the public debt, by diluting the debt/GDP ratio.
In the long term, refugees will transform the U.S to a more backward country where the use of Sharia law prevails. Illegal immigrants from south of the border will bring more drug problems.

After 30 years, can I openly eat bacon for breakfast? Maybe pork will be banned under the banner of multiculturalism.

Old 06-29-2017, 10:13 AM

9,837 posts, read 4,634,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
H1-B visa itself isn't evil, but allowing Indian tech mills to abuse the visa is a very serious problem.

Allowing unscrupulous Indian contract agencies to abuse the visa is unfair to legitimate companies that really need foreign workers to stay competitive in the global market.
i have been saying for years that H1 -B visas should require that the visa holder be paid above the going wage in the area they will work. i think maybe 125% would be a good area to start.

the number could be adjusted to make it work. But the idea is that there should be some actaul cost burden in order to hire or contract visa workers.

I am not against any group working here, my best friends in the USA all arrived on H1-Bs some 10-20 years ago.

Old 06-29-2017, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
i have been saying for years that H1 -B visas should require that the visa holder be paid above the going wage in the area they will work. i think maybe 125% would be a good area to start.

the number could be adjusted to make it work. But the idea is that there should be some actaul cost burden in order to hire or contract visa workers.

I am not against any group working here, my best friends in the USA all arrived on H1-Bs some 10-20 years ago.
I think the current law already has some kind of minimum wage requirement.

But Indian contract agencies can always find ways to abuse the visas, maybe fake paperwork, loophole? I am not an expert, but I think it's necessary to address this issue. It takes much more efforts than simply adjusting the number alone.

Old 06-29-2017, 11:21 AM

9,853 posts, read 7,724,981 times
Quote:
Look, I get that sometimes, in the short run, immigrants can outcompete natives on certain jobs in certain areas. I will grant that. But you have to consider that this does not apply to all immigrants, especially when you consider the long term. As has been pointed out before, most of us are descended from immigrants.

Immigration allows GDP to grow in the long run. This actually lessens the impact of the public debt, by diluting the debt/GDP ratio.
I was discussing illegal aliens who come into an area, do not follow the regulations, licensing or tax laws and charge less, which puts hardworking Americans out of business, good people lose jobs.

Competition is one thing, breaking the law is quite another.

It's very difficult to discuss these issues with you because you seem to mix legal immigrants who are following our laws with illegal aliens who don't or can't, because they are here illegally.

Old 06-29-2017, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
I was discussing illegal aliens who come into an area, do not follow the regulations, licensing or tax laws and charge less, which puts hardworking Americans out of business, good people lose jobs.

Competition is one thing, breaking the law is quite another.

It's very difficult to discuss these issues with you because you seem to mix legal immigrants who are following our laws with illegal aliens who don't or can't, because they are here illegally.
He seems to suggest that the immigration law should be reformed.

I agree on that.

But he also believes there's no substantial difference between being legal and illegal.

So the law is irrelevant, what's the point of discussing what the law ought to be?

I don't get it.

Old 06-29-2017, 11:51 AM

7,473 posts, read 4,014,781 times
Quote:
And yet the US has no official national language. The phenomenon of segregation and subculture is not unique to immigrants, we have lots of subculture among citizens too and it seems to be embraced, or at least possible to embrace. Why is a subculture of immigrants so different?

Also, if lots of European countries can handle multilingualism, why shouldn't we be able to do likewise?

Segregation??? China town in San-Francisco is a popular tourist attraction..........What higher praise for a so called "sub-culture"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates