Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2017, 04:42 AM

6,769 posts, read 5,488,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
"It's called a safety net
Think of it as insurance
One day you might need those programs too."

I've worked hard all my life.
Made provisions for my own old age.
Think of it as "adulting."
I WAS "adulting", Always had two jobs, even worked 2 full time jobs and carried 12 Credit hours in community college (3 "A", 1 "B" each semester for two semesters), yet I eventually ran into serious severe and multiple health issues and surgeries.

I went through all my Wonderful savings and retirement accounts to pay bills, both living bills and medical bills. I ended up homeless living under a RR bridge next to the tracks, literally and actually.

I was turned down 4 times for the "safety net" of welfare, the fifth time I looked straight at the intake lady (with no offense to anyone) and said ' tell me the truth, if I was black and a woman and had two kids with another in the way and no man or child support, I'd get everything handed to me'. She said it was sad but true for what I said. I stressed I was HOMELESS, and she excused herself, came back and said ' I can get you expedited benefits, but you have to have an address where you can get mail'. I asked if I could use the phone for a local call, made a call to a friend's landlord asking if I could get my mail there and he said yes. So armed with an address I got benefits.

In short, one NEVER knows WHAT will happen in life. Take a look at people hit by Katrina and Harvey. Out if house and home and jobs and probably no access to their bank accounts IF they have money in them!

I THOUGHT I had planned well and then BOOM, the shtf for me.

The 'safety net' Is there for those who need it. And I needed it desperately.

Now I have SSDI, born out of that desperation, and I've got a part time job, I'm officially a "working person with disabilities". My OH? Has two part time jobs to approximate one full time job. We have 4 incomes and sometimes just get by, others we can save well and plan for our retirement, but due to my losses, we are waaaay behind the 8 ball and will have a rather tough time of our inheritances vaporize.
I even worked at a volunteer job at the hospital in the medical records department so I was exempt from Clinton era welfare to work program for that and the fact I had an application in for SSDI. I was denied 2 times the third time I appealed until I saw the Administrative law judge, who had a complete EIGHT AND A HALF INCH file of my extensive medical records!

I've also lost everything more than once! Due to a rental house fire, due to a home invasion, due to having to move "back home", and living under the bridge.

So one can start off well. But life and $**t CAN and MAY happen!

So don't judge people who need it as a safety net.

It's the perpetual lifelong welfares you need to rail about. The ' pop out a baby every 4 years to stay in welfare, no dad in sight or paying child support who need to be forced to work for their benefits.

So DON'T judge and claim ALL are welfare"failure s".

Some really DO need the "SAFETY net"... you may one day need it too! THEN you'll sing a different tune!

Old 09-03-2017, 05:56 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,127,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
!

I've also lost everything more than once! Due to a rental house fire, due to a home invasion, due to having to move "back home",
I don't have enough info to speak to all of it, but I can see just here a trend of bad decisions on your part vs " bad **** happens"

Example: "loosing everything" to a rental fire is easily mitigated with (cheap) renters insurance. (Usually under $20\month.)

I seriously doubt "home invaders" would take "everything", and they CERTAINLY couldn't get your savings account, or retirement account, but again..... Insurance.

I'm helping a friend tomorrow put everything into storage to go work out of state. You don't " loose everything without TERRIBLE planning.... But we are seeing there's a lot of that!

I suspect the rest follows a similar pattern.
Bad decisions followed by "ooh look what " just keeps happening" to me!!!" And a continued lack of personal responsibility.

Old 09-03-2017, 06:12 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,627,476 times
I know a lot of people have a problem with welfare. I understand some of it. I do think there are people who, through no fault of their own get thrown out of work and then can never regain their position in life before they lost their job. We do need unemployment and welfare for those unfortunate people who are victims of a bad economy or automation of their previous job.
Have a heart people. We need to look more closely at corporate welfare. We would save more money. Do you know despite these large companies crying about their tax rate, some of them don't pay their share or worse yet nothing at all in taxes. We need social security and Medicare as a safety net for the elderly. I don't think we need to see our elderly tortured by poverty or eating out of garbage cans.

Old 09-03-2017, 07:55 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,177,911 times
The poor need to get a bus ticket to Texas and they will find a job. Sure, might live in a flop house for a few months..but they will find a job...and make money..and yes, pay taxes!!!....

Old 09-03-2017, 08:37 AM

564 posts, read 448,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
I WAS "adulting", Always had two jobs, even worked 2 full time jobs and carried 12 Credit hours in community college (3 "A", 1 "B" each semester for two semesters), yet I eventually ran into serious severe and multiple health issues and surgeries.

I went through all my Wonderful savings and retirement accounts to pay bills, both living bills and medical bills. I ended up homeless living under a RR bridge next to the tracks, literally and actually.

I was turned down 4 times for the "safety net" of welfare, the fifth time I looked straight at the intake lady (with no offense to anyone) and said ' tell me the truth, if I was black and a woman and had two kids with another in the way and no man or child support, I'd get everything handed to me'. She said it was sad but true for what I said. I stressed I was HOMELESS, and she excused herself, came back and said ' I can get you expedited benefits, but you have to have an address where you can get mail'. I asked if I could use the phone for a local call, made a call to a friend's landlord asking if I could get my mail there and he said yes. So armed with an address I got benefits.

In short, one NEVER knows WHAT will happen in life. Take a look at people hit by Katrina and Harvey. Out if house and home and jobs and probably no access to their bank accounts IF they have money in them!

I THOUGHT I had planned well and then BOOM, the shtf for me.

The 'safety net' Is there for those who need it. And I needed it desperately.

Now I have SSDI, born out of that desperation, and I've got a part time job, I'm officially a "working person with disabilities". My OH? Has two part time jobs to approximate one full time job. We have 4 incomes and sometimes just get by, others we can save well and plan for our retirement, but due to my losses, we are waaaay behind the 8 ball and will have a rather tough time of our inheritances vaporize.
I even worked at a volunteer job at the hospital in the medical records department so I was exempt from Clinton era welfare to work program for that and the fact I had an application in for SSDI. I was denied 2 times the third time I appealed until I saw the Administrative law judge, who had a complete EIGHT AND A HALF INCH file of my extensive medical records!

I've also lost everything more than once! Due to a rental house fire, due to a home invasion, due to having to move "back home", and living under the bridge.

So one can start off well. But life and $**t CAN and MAY happen!

So don't judge people who need it as a safety net.

It's the perpetual lifelong welfares you need to rail about. The ' pop out a baby every 4 years to stay in welfare, no dad in sight or paying child support who need to be forced to work for their benefits.

So DON'T judge and claim ALL are welfare"failure s".

Some really DO need the "SAFETY net"... you may one day need it too! THEN you'll sing a different tune!
I had a similar situation regarding help being unavailable due to my work being Cauca. Caucasian, although I didn't need financial assistance.

Your comment about race is right on target. So much of the resources available for assistance to the truly deserving go to folks who choose to accept readily available welfare rather.than work for a living that there is little that remains for those who deserve help. And unfortunately for minorities they have been targeted as a voting block that must be kept poor and of the belief that they are in need of government aid. It is no accident,IMO, that after a half century our schools continue to pump out perfectly healthy, intelligent inner-city kids that can't read their diplomas.

No one with power to challenge the status quo will speak for fear of being called racist, as I probably will. Dr. Carson speaks of the problem and is loudly attacked.

Old 09-03-2017, 09:59 AM

8,011 posts, read 8,208,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cekkk View Post
I had a similar situation regarding help being unavailable due to my work being Cauca. Caucasian, although I didn't need financial assistance.

Your comment about race is right on target. So much of the resources available for assistance to the truly deserving go to folks who choose to accept readily available welfare rather.than work for a living that there is little that remains for those who deserve help. And unfortunately for minorities they have been targeted as a voting block that must be kept poor and of the belief that they are in need of government aid. It is no accident,IMO, that after a half century our schools continue to pump out perfectly healthy, intelligent inner-city kids that can't read their diplomas.

No one with power to challenge the status quo will speak for fear of being called racist, as I probably will. Dr. Carson speaks of the problem and is loudly attacked.
Wow, really so you automatically assume that the poster was denied assistance because of their race. Research which race receives of people receives welfare the most.

I'll help you.

www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2017/06/race-safety-net-welfare/529203/

Why Does Cash Welfare Depend on Where You Live? | Urban Institute

I'm sorry but you had no business bringing up race in response to their comment.

Old 09-03-2017, 11:16 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,676,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by totsuka View Post
The poor need to get a bus ticket to Texas and they will find a job. Sure, might live in a flop house for a few months..but they will find a job...and make money..and yes, pay taxes!!!....
"The poor", are already working and paying all kinds of taxes... Like so many, you seem to have overlooked the fact that most of America's poor ARE working---and still poor...

Old 09-03-2017, 12:07 PM

3,155 posts, read 2,732,691 times
The idea of a work camp as described by the OP reminds me of the public school system. It exists partly to keep kids corralled and off the streets during the day, and provides some structure to everyone who participates.

I see a similarity with so many (majority?) of the 'in need' crowd in the sense that like minor children, they need supervision and guidance. An institution like school can also administer discipline when needed.

IOW's - apply the same conditioning to adults who have poor judgement and live a parasitic/dependent lifestyle.

"We'll treat you like and adult when you act like one".

Any thoughts....?

And ANOTHER thing.
Everyone who seems to be rationalizing being a parasite by blaming corporations for being greedy could help themselves much more by working on themselves first.

Last edited by tommy64; 09-03-2017 at 12:25 PM..

Old 09-03-2017, 12:20 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,208,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
"The poor", are already working and paying all kinds of taxes... Like so many, you seem to have overlooked the fact that most of America's poor ARE working---and still poor...
This has been said a thousand times in this thread but it's like talking to a brick wall. Some people are invested in this image of poor=sitting around collecting government checks.

Old 09-03-2017, 12:21 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,704,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy64 View Post
The idea of a work camp as described by the OP reminds me of the public school system. It exists partly to keep kids corralled and off the streets during the day, and provides some structure to everyone who participates.

I see a similarity with so many (majority?) of the 'in need' crowd in the sense that like minor children, they need supervision and guidance. An institution like school can also administer discipline when needed.

IOW's - apply the same conditioning to adults who have poor judgement and live a parasitic/dependent lifestyle.

"We'll treat you like and adult when you act like one".

Any thoughts....?
Yeah, I have a thought. Here's one>

Just because people have money and a bit of luck or happen to have been born with a silver spoon in their mouth does not in any way, shape or form mean that they necessarily "act like adults". Puhleeze.

So your theory is seriously flawed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates