Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2017, 09:33 AM

8,373 posts, read 4,382,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Do you really think a long term care facility paid for by medicaid is going to help someone get an education? They hardly change your diapers let alone give a crap about you desire to "pursue education".

As fare as your claim that employers don't discriminate against disabled people- if that's true, then prove that this is wrong.
Despite Federal Efforts to Aid Employment of People with Disabilities, Labor Participation Has Dropped or Remained Stagnant, AIR Study Finds | American Institutes for Research
Nobody can "help you get an education" if you don't want to study. Have you ever seen a Medicaid facility? I have , and I would not mind getting that level of care if I get disabled (hint: that level of care is high). Federal efforts to aid people with disabilities are the proof that the disabled get more help with employment than the non-disabled. The fact that their labor participation has dropped does not prove that employers ignore them (it just as easily "proves" that living on disability is easier than working for a living).

Old 08-11-2017, 09:45 AM

42,845 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Nobody can "help you get an education" if you don't want to study. Have you ever seen a Medicaid facility? I have , and I would not mind getting that level of care if I get disabled (hint: that level of care is high). Federal efforts to aid people with disabilities are the proof that the disabled get more help with employment than the non-disabled. The fact that their labor participation has dropped does not prove that employers ignore them (it just as easily "proves" that living on disability is easier than working for a living).
I have had family members in medicaid facilities and the level of care ranges from barely adequate to abysmal. Unless a person has worked enough quarters to qualify for SSDI, the only aid available is through SSI. Do you know how much cash you get through SSI? $735 a month. It really takes some gall to claim that 'living on disability is easier than working'....

Old 08-11-2017, 09:53 AM

Well, I am semi-retired, spend far less than $735 in a typical month in which I am not working (though I own the 350 sq ft condo in which I live), and the months in which I don't work are incomparably infinitely indescribably easier than the months in which I do work (however, in the months in which I don't work, I live entirely on the leisure money that I earned myself, it is not taken from anyone else). Regarding whether Madicaid facilities are fine or abysmal, I guess you and I also have different criteria.

Old 08-11-2017, 10:01 AM

564 posts, read 448,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
Stephen Hawking had a what... 200+ something IQ? You think if we take a typical American laborer and break his legs, he'd be just as productive as he was before?

You may as make generalizations like how someone like Bill Gates managed to make enough money to buy an island. Why is every one else so poor and lazy?

While we're addressing no good welfare baby factory queens. Can we also go after corporations who don't pay their fair share of taxes? When they do it, they're being smart, not leeches
And, pray, just what is their "fair share"? 50%? 75? 100? A handful of the population and businesses account for the majority of the government's revenue. Does not a $20 trillion debt (actually far more) lead you understand there is not enough money in the world to satisfy government?

If those who sincerely wish to reduce poverty would spend a percentage of their efforts drilling very young school kids that their failure to learn how to read, write, understand math and, perhaps as important as the rest combined, speak English, fewer "graduates" would be turned out of the education system totally unprepared to survive in an increasingly competitive and technical employment world.

It's far too easy to look away from the real problems and blame "greedy" corporations/people.

Old 08-11-2017, 10:58 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,862,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
Can we also go after corporations who don't pay their fair share of taxes? When they do it, they're being smart, not leeches
We should eliminate all corporate income taxes.

Who pays the sales tax when you buy something at a store? Do you pay the sales tax, or does the retailer pay the tax?

The retailer pays the sales tax to the local/state taxing authority. But anyone who has ever looked at their cash register receipt realizes that the retailer -- while technically paying the sales tax -- merely collects & forwards that sales tax.

We consumers actually bear the burden of the sales tax, even though it is paid state by the retailer.

That is the key thing to remember: "who pays" is not the right question. The right question is "who bears the burden of the sales tax?" Every consumer knows we bear the burden of the sales tax.

Corporations "pay" income taxes in the same sense that a retailer "pays" the sales tax.

In the case of a corporation, they "collect & forward" taxes just as does a retailer. The burden of the taxes fall on the corporation's customers in the form of higher prices, on the corporation's employees in the form of lower wages, and on the corporation's shareholders in the form of lower ROI.

It is far more efficient to just tax people directly while eliminating all corporate taxes.

Old 08-11-2017, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Well, I am semi-retired, spend far less than $735 in a typical month in which I am not working (though I own the 350 sq ft condo in which I live), and the months in which I don't work are incomparably infinitely indescribably easier than the months in which I do work (however, in the months in which I don't work, I live entirely on the leisure money that I earned myself, it is not taken from anyone else). Regarding whether Madicaid facilities are fine or abysmal, I guess you and I also have different criteria.
owning your own condo makes quite a difference. How many disabled people on SSI do you think are that own their own residence? (remember it is means limited, you don't get it just because you are disabled)

Old 08-11-2017, 11:41 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,953,679 times
Since there are SOME limits on welfare, most manage to get on (lifetime) disability; it's not that hard.

Old 08-11-2017, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Since there are SOME limits on welfare, most manage to get on (lifetime) disability; it's not that hard.
what are you even talking about, "not that hard to get on lifetime disability"????

Old 08-11-2017, 12:02 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,953,679 times
Say you're depressed or anxious and/or have muscle aches (fibromyalgia) and stick to your story. There's no way of proving or disproving it scientifically with objective medical tests.

Old 08-11-2017, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
owning your own condo makes quite a difference. How many disabled people on SSI do you think are that own their own residence? (remember it is means limited, you don't get it just because you are disabled)
Disabled people have an option of partly or completely subsidized housing, as well as subsidized healthcare, which leaves a good part of, or the entire, disability check for other spending. Admittedly, that check is not much, but I have lived on less (while actually working/training). I have money now, and could have a bigger place than this 350 sq ft studio, but there is no reason for it (I am used to extreme frugality and would not even know how to live expensively), so how come anybody is entitled to demand a part of my paycheck because they have a "need" to live in a larger place on my money?

Which also tangentially reminds me of an incident about which I read online. Somebody got mugged at night in the NoPa areaa of San Francisco, and the mugger told the victim "sorry, but my kids have to eat too". Well, I don't have kids, I couldn't afford them, and that would be my reply to anyone who uses the kids excuse to take other people's money.

Last edited by elnrgby; 08-11-2017 at 12:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates