Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2017, 02:09 PM

8,373 posts, read 4,382,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
Hundreds? have you worked in a local department of social services? I mean honestly that would be the most probable way of knowing hundreds of people in such a situation is if you are working their cases.
Have worked in healthcare, mostly places with endemic poverty, multiple states (incl specifically WV, MS, NM). Did not count them, but it must have been hundreds, more likely thousands. I had all the sympathy and compassion in the world for the welfare poor until I actually met them - than changed my mind 180 degrees. By and large, they are NOT the kind of people even deserving of the massive help that has already been extended to them by the working society. And I mean, I am very liberal when it comes to lifestyle (no problem at all with transsexual Marines :-), but the welfare poor that I have met were basically almost without exception just bad people - yes: irresponsible. lazy, violent and endlessly selfish. That is not what I expected when I went to work in those places, but that is what I have seen.

Old 08-10-2017, 02:43 PM

42,845 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Anecdotal evidence from hundreds of cases I have personally encountered is valuable enough to me. According to anecdotal evidence, if you jump from a plane without a parachute, you will die (nobody has proven this by prospective controlled randomized studies, but I believe it on anecdotal evidence only).
hundreds of 'cases' as a provider of healthcare or something? And in the course of treatment you just somehow knew that all of them were feckless wastrels?

Old 08-10-2017, 03:06 PM

8,373 posts, read 4,382,688 times
oh yes!

Old 08-10-2017, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cekkk View Post
Note to conservatives and liberals - Not all poor are equal. I won't guess at percentages other than to say that a majority have no physical or mental factors that keep them permanently impoverished. Those who do should get all the assistance they need. Leftovers then go to those who decided school was boring, breeding was fun, working was not.

And, no, we don't/can't/shouldn't anyway, give them a "living wage" for flipping burgers.
Who do you think gets welfare in this Country, and for what length of time? Able bodied adults have a work requirement, they are only exempted if they have a child under 6. There is a 60 month lifetime limit for cash welfare benefits, after which neither the recipient or their children can receive benefits again. States can set a lifetime limit of less than 60 months, Arizona limits the lifetime cash benefits to 12 months. Tanf cash benefits are usually quite low, the benefit for a family of three in Tennessee is $167 a month.

Old 08-10-2017, 03:48 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,862,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
And oh, by the way, what happens to the kids when you force their moms to work full time?
Well, in my case, my mom *had* to go back to work full time after my dad died unexpectedly, and I went on to be high school valedictorian, earned both scholarship & achievement award money, graduated from college summa c-u-m laude, went on to graduate from grad school with high distinction, I'm the named inventor on numerous patents, and ultimately I added a ton of value to society.

Old 08-10-2017, 03:57 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,862,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
What discount? ...I didn't get one when I went to college and my son didn't get one.
https://fafsa.ed.gov/

Old 08-10-2017, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
That's not a discount, it's student aid.

Old 08-10-2017, 04:31 PM

564 posts, read 448,609 times
Quote:
Who do you think gets welfare in this Country, and for what length of time? Able bodied adults have a work requirement, they are only exempted if they have a child under 6. There is a 60 month lifetime limit for cash welfare benefits, after which neither the recipient or their children can receive benefits again. States can set a lifetime limit of less than 60 months, Arizona limits the lifetime cash benefits to 12 months. Tanf cash benefits are usually quite low, the benefit for a family of three in Tennessee is $167 a month.
Thank goodness! Wonderful to hear how wrong I was. Why, I actually had been told that there are 3rd generation welfare recipients out there. Millions of them. Guess the well-to-do inner cities' citizens are the victims of a vast conspiracy led by the poor people hating right wing. Sweet Jesus, People!

Old 08-10-2017, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cekkk View Post
Thank goodness! Wonderful to hear how wrong I was. Why, I actually had been told that there are 3rd generation welfare recipients out there. Millions of them. Guess the well-to-do inner cities' citizens are the victims of a vast conspiracy led by the poor people hating right wing. Sweet Jesus, People!
There are 2nd and 3rd generations of people receiving public benefits and that's tragic, but it does not in any way infer that I gave you incorrect information. But if you have any doubts, you can look it up for yourself, a good place to start is with the 1996 welfare reform act which is still in effect.

Have a good day, and don't smack yourself too hard

Old 08-10-2017, 04:47 PM

564 posts, read 448,609 times
Quote:
There are 2nd and 3rd generations of people receiving public benefits and that's tragic, but it does not in any way infer that I gave you incorrect information. But if you have any doubts, you can look it up for yourself, a good place to start is with the 1996 welfare reform act which is still in effect.

Have a good day, and don't smack yourself too hard
I'm familiar, having spent decades in D.C. and Baltimore, with the idea of limiting rules. And how the welfare-savvy overcome them. If there were only one or two, or a dozen or so, welfare programs, limits would work better.

Nice try, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates