Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2017, 05:03 PM

3,155 posts, read 2,732,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
god, i hope nothing ever happens to you. I suppose katrina and harvey victims"failed to plan and have no "personal responsibility," either. They could have had flood insurance, could have fled (but to where?) etc, etc, in your eyes.
$**t does happen. Perhaps it will to you, then you'll think differently.
Why is it always assumed that anyone down and out was thrown there through zero fault of their own by circumstances completely out of their hands?

Old 09-03-2017, 05:14 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,208,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy64 View Post
Why is it always assumed that anyone down and out was thrown there through zero fault of their own by circumstances completely out of their hands?
Amd why is it assumed that anyone down and out are there completely do to their own choices and incompetence. See how it works. The answer is probably in the middle.

Old 09-03-2017, 05:59 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,703,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy64 View Post
And that would be fine IF anyone had ever said or "assumed" that "anyone (meaning everyone, as you imply) who is down and out was thrown there through zero fault of their own..." but, no one ever did say that everyone was thrown into it through no fault of their own. Where do you get this stuff from? Why is it that you insist on incessantly falsifying, over-analyzing and exaggerating what people actually say? It has gotten really old, really fast.

Old 09-03-2017, 06:57 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,487,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
Amd why is it assumed that anyone down and out are there completely do to their own choices and incompetence. See how it works. The answer is probably in the middle.
Exactly.
Sometimes it is due to their fault, but NO ONE can plan for every possible eventuality that may happen to them.
There is often an erroneous ASSUMPTION that " it won't/can't happen to me"
$**t and life happens.

It's what you do to get back on your feet, often with help, that Matters.

For example, I took a prescription antibiotic for walking pneumonia ordered by the doctor. Sounds simple enough, we do it all the time. How was I to Know 6 hours later while I was at work I would have anaphylactic shock allergic reaction that would result in my death? I didn't even get a warning that my heart was going to stop beating ( you don't, it's not like a heart attack, where there IS warnings). Once your heart stops, YOU stop, and drop like a rag doll thrown to the floor. I was clinically verified dead for 7 mins 40 seconds. Had the fourth shock not restarted my heart, the EMTs were going to give up.
That day had I NOT gone to work, I would not be here as I would have been home either alone or in my bedroom and my roommate would have found the body.
I suppose that would be "my fault and failure to plan"???!!

People in the raging fires out in California, that's THEIR fault? For failing to plan?

I really do hope nothing serious happens to you. You WON'T have any idea how to deal with it. Because, apparently you have it all sewn up.

Old 09-03-2017, 09:06 PM

574 posts, read 382,697 times
Keep Welfare for those that can't work for legitimate reasons, but take it away from those that commit fraud in the system sitting all day... When they don't have money, they will be more or less forced to do something else so they don't starve or something

Old 09-04-2017, 01:29 AM

6,769 posts, read 5,487,382 times
Ok for those who are confused by my last post, the words from "exactly" to " matters" is in agreement with ro2113.

The rest of the post is directed back to "tommy64".

I hope nothing bad happens to anyone who" hasn't planned for it". To people like Tommy 64. He seems to have it all sewn up and has all the answers.
APPARENTLY people like Tommy 64 think people in a plane crash, for example, didn't plan well for THAT eventuality. Sometimes $**t and "$tuff" HAPPENS.
No one can prepare for every eventuality. I had renters insurance, but it didn't cover a whole house full of stuff. I never expected a rental house would have faulty electrical issues.

I was young and healthy, NEVER thought I'd start hemoraging from prostate issues at the ripe old age of 25, or that degenerative disc disease would set in then either. Never expected it'd take them 5 years of me in distress to figure out that my gallbladder had to come out.

And the list goes on.

Old 09-04-2017, 07:31 AM

8,373 posts, read 4,391,884 times
Stuff happens, and my heart (and my hard earned money) constantly goes out to people to whom stuff has happened.... BUT the problem is with people to whom no stuff has happened, but they entirely caused stuff to happen, and then the taxpayers have to pay for that stuff. I am talking about these deliberate decisions that people make:
- having children that one cannot support from one's own resources
- taking up a drug habit, knowing fully well how much that costs and what complications it causes
- choosing a life of crime, which necessitates the expensive law enforcement/prison system

Taxpayers are expending an incredible amount of money to support the cost of socially useless and harmful people such as non-working welfare mothers, junkies and criminals.

I have full respect for the honest, responsible WORKING, CONTRIBUTING poor who were just born poor, did not have enough brains or other physical capability, or sufficient health, to achieve proficiency in anything but the lowest paying jobs. I would offer financial subsidies to those people without complaint - provided that they have no more than one kid, do not use addictive substances, and do not commit crimes. I don't think this is too much to ask of anyone (particularly because I know what poverty is myself, have managed to get myself out of it without any subsidies or welfare - but, I also do not have kids, have never tried cocaine or worse, and do not have a criminal record).

Last edited by elnrgby; 09-04-2017 at 07:43 AM..

Old 09-05-2017, 12:53 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,127,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
god, i hope nothing ever happens to you. I suppose katrina and harvey victims"failed to plan and have no "personal responsibility," either. They could have had flood insurance, could have fled (but to where?) etc, etc, in your eyes.
$**t does happen. Perhaps it will to you, then you'll think differently.
You mean like 3 foot surgeries, 1 spinal surgery, being Medically retired from the Marine Corps as a result....

Yea, BTDT.

I went to high school 45 min from New Orleans.
You know what happened during Katrina?
A couple trees fell in the yard.

My Cousin lives just north of Houston.
He's dry.

My dad said "only a fool builds on a slab in southern La"
Always lived on piers, never flooded.

Cousin bought on high ground.

Yep, shoulda had flood insurance, despite being on piers we'd always tie a canoe to the front porch. I've kayaked down my mother's street.... house stayed dry.

Personal responsibility....

Old 09-05-2017, 07:48 AM

8,373 posts, read 4,391,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorie86 View Post
Most people say it's a matter of choice ("Nobody forced that homeless guy to become an alcoholist!"), without realizing that most of the time the better-off make better decisions because they are better informed, which is a result of the good education and positive influence they receive at home and at school since childhood. Some people are simply never exposed to that.
You need expensive education to inform you of the effects of alcohol or other addictive substances? That information is not a common knowledge? Are you for real? :-) If you are an alcoholic on welfare, how far can you extend a ridiculous argument and a patently false excuse in order to steal more from a taxpayer who already fully supports himself/herself AND you with your allegedly biologically and socially inevitable laziness?

Old 09-05-2017, 07:49 AM

8,011 posts, read 8,208,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
You mean like 3 foot surgeries, 1 spinal surgery, being Medically retired from the Marine Corps as a result....

Yea, BTDT.

I went to high school 45 min from New Orleans.
You know what happened during Katrina?
A couple trees fell in the yard.

My Cousin lives just north of Houston.
He's dry.

My dad said "only a fool builds on a slab in southern La"
Always lived on piers, never flooded.

Cousin bought on high ground.

Yep, shoulda had flood insurance, despite being on piers we'd always tie a canoe to the front porch. I've kayaked down my mother's street.... house stayed dry.

Personal responsibility....
Yup if only everyone had the money to by a canoe and if only there was enough land and housing for everyone to live near your cousin north of Houston.

You guys really are something else. The lengths you'll go not to have an ounce of empathy for another person even in a natural disaster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates