Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 11:13 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,606,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
No, homeopathy is a scam for rubes.
Yep.

On the other hand, some properly made herbal remedies do work, and some of our lab-synthesized meds are based on them, such as willow bark (aspirin).

I have been ill and broke, and had to go wild crafting for my meds.

Old 07-05-2017, 11:27 AM

7,447 posts, read 2,832,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
Yep.

On the other hand, some properly made herbal remedies do work, and some of our lab-synthesized meds are based on them, such as willow bark (aspirin).

I have been ill and broke, and had to go wild crafting for my meds.
Sure - no one is denying that you can find natural and effective remedies.

The basic idea of homeopathy is that you can dilute some root cause, lets say arsenic, to some ridiculously low PPM like 1 in 100 trillion, and it will protect you from the thing it was derived from. So if someone was poisoned with arsenic you give them some "arsenic water" that is diluted to the point where there is literally not a single molecule of arsenic in the given dose, and somehow that will protect them from being poisoned.

The first unsupported assumption is that smaller doses of some bad thing will always help combat the bad thing. Probably derived from a basic misunderstanding of why and how inoculations work.

The second unsupported assumption is that there is some magical mechanism in water that allows it to broadly retain properties of something dissolved in it at basically non existent levels of dilution.

Absolutely ludicrous magical thinking.

Old 07-05-2017, 11:55 AM

102,203 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:

The basic idea of homeopathy is that you can dilute some root cause, lets say arsenic, to some ridiculously low PPM like 1 in 100 trillion, and it will protect you from the thing it was derived from. So if someone was poisoned with arsenic you give them some "arsenic water" that is diluted to the point where there is literally not a single molecule of arsenic in the given dose, and somehow that will protect them from being poisoned.

The first unsupported assumption is that smaller doses of some bad thing will always help combat the bad thing. Probably derived from a basic misunderstanding of why and how inoculations work.

The second unsupported assumption is that there is some magical mechanism in water that allows it to broadly retain properties of something dissolved in it at basically non existent levels of dilution.

Absolutely ludicrous magical thinking.
I'd forgotten this, about homeopathic theory. The thyroid remedy I mentioned earlier, that has been so effective, is not based on that principle. It's considered "homeopathic" in that the dosages are minute, as you describe. But the remedy is a combination of elements that support thyroid function: thyroid glandular material, a variety of sources of iodine, pituitary and hypothalamus glandulars, and some herbs. Homeopathy as a science has evolved, and no longer sticks exclusively to that antigen theory, if you can call it that.

Old 07-05-2017, 11:58 AM

18,950 posts, read 11,591,053 times
This is a debate. Most posts here should provide evidence for or against the assertions made in the OP. Please stay on topic and be courteous.

Last edited by toosie; 07-05-2017 at 04:14 PM..

Old 07-05-2017, 06:32 PM

9,853 posts, read 7,724,981 times
Quote:

No, that's not the theory.

The provings would take a substance and test it over a long period of time and write down what happened. There could be physical, emotional and mental symptoms. Arsenic causes specific symptoms that may be characterized by burning, cough worse with heat, burning rashes, you feel better when cooled off, etc.

The remedy Arsenicum Album would help with those types of symptoms.

If someone actually took arsenic poison, they better go to the emergency room and call poison control on the way.

Another common one is Apis Mellifica, made from a honeybee. It is good for any symptoms similar to getting stung by a bee - stinging, redness, hives, rashes, etc.

Old 07-05-2017, 07:59 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,449,930 times
I've got nothing to debate.homeopathy has its medicinal properties for which most modern pharmaceutical s emulate.

Homeopathy works..
Period.

Old 07-05-2017, 08:07 PM

17,569 posts, read 13,344,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Moderator cut: .

What proof do you have that any homeopathic remedy has any effect other than a placebo effect? That is the question. There is no such proof, so anyone selling homeopathic remedies is just selling expensive placebos. Is it ethical to sell someone a bottle of water or a sugar pill and call it medicine?
There is no proof and through a congressional mistake, supplement companies do not have to show efficacy.

Homeopathic quack meds are minute doses (if you can even call them doses because the active ingredients are roots and herbs, but in extraordinary fractions) There is no way that they work

As a pharmacist, I had plenty of people who swore by homeopathy, until they were too far gone to help.

There should be laws against this crap

Old 07-05-2017, 08:36 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,202,259 times
From an objective and scientific standpoint, I would have to say homeopathy is a scam.

And yet from personal experience, it sometimes works. And that included giving homeopathic remedies to my infant son who was far too young to understand the concept of the placebo effect and they still worked on him. BTW, when I gave him homeopathic treatments, that was after discussing with his pediatrician who, as expected, was skeptical they would have any effect but felt comfortable that they wouldn't do any harm.

I'm a big fan of allopathic medicine, it's saved my life. And I would never self-treat or treat my son solely with homeopathy. But I see no reason to exclude it either, when it has provided benefits to both of us.

And I would point out that sources such as Science Based Medicine have their own biases, since they are coming strictly from the allopathic point of view and their findings reflect that. It's unlikely you will find any similar sources that will support homeopathy.

But regardless of those findings, what will continue will be people like me who will, in a somewhat embarrassed and abashed tone of voice, say to a friend "Look, I know this sounds crazy and there's no way that this stuff can be proven to work, but you might want to try X homeopathic remedy for your condition and see what happens. Worst case is that you waste a few bucks, but maybe it will make you feel better, the way it did for me!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
You obviously already know that homeopathy is based on nothing but the rantings of a long-dead person with no real medical, biological, or physical world knowledge at best and a complete scam at worst.

What you DON'T already know is that people who completely "believe in" things without proof or evidence can never be persuaded to think otherwise by external logic or knowledge, so you are fairly well wasting your time and effort. Especially when there are crackpot websites supporting such things over 'the establishment'.

What would be more interesting for you:

Go around to all of your local pharmacies and ask the actual pharmacists point blank how they feel about the homeopathic products that they sell. I guarantee some of the answers may not be what you think they should be.

And I have to point out the irony of attacking someone for a lack of knowledge while showing your own ignorance. The inventor of homeopathy was a physician who, by the standards of his time, was actually better trained than most and who used the scientific methods he had been trained in to test his theories regarding homeopathy. I'm not saying that means he was right or that we should all turn our backs on allopathy in favor of homeopathy. But if you want to attack someone as ignorant, than at the least, you should be more informed about the subject you are discussing.

Old 07-05-2017, 08:38 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,531,346 times
Default Is homeopathy a scam?

Yes

Old 07-05-2017, 09:21 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,622,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
No, that's not the theory.

The provings would take a substance and test it over a long period of time and write down what happened. There could be physical, emotional and mental symptoms. Arsenic causes specific symptoms that may be characterized by burning, cough worse with heat, burning rashes, you feel better when cooled off, etc.

The remedy Arsenicum Album would help with those types of symptoms.

If someone actually took arsenic poison, they better go to the emergency room and call poison control on the way.

Another common one is Apis Mellifica, made from a honeybee. It is good for any symptoms similar to getting stung by a bee - stinging, redness, hives, rashes, etc.
So what you are saying is that any substance that causes a rash, or is related to a substance that causes a rash, can be given the homeopathic vibration/dilution treatment and it would be efficacious for treating a rash? Does this seem like something that would work with our understanding of any physical laws at all?

What is the explanation of how these vibrations present in a dilution actual cause a usable treatment for a disease, malady, or symptom?

I'm still unclear why homeopathic dilutions only activate the positive, desirable aspects of a chemical. What is the principle behind "Apis Mellifica" not accentuating and magnifying one of the undesired aspects of a bee sting, such as death by anaphylactic shock?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates