Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2017, 12:01 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Not all vaccines contain active ingredients.

And homeopathic remedies can contain active ingredients.

The mechanism is the same. If you are claiming that all homeopathic remedies only contain inactive ingredients, you are SHOWING that you did ZERO RESEARCH and don't know anything about this topic.
All vaccines contain active ingredients, that is the ingredients that make the person's body produce antibodies to a specific disease or diseases. Not all vaccines contain live viruses or bacteria.

Homeopathic remedies contain no active ingredients.

Old 07-07-2017, 12:06 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
And yet from personal experience, it sometimes works. And that included giving homeopathic remedies to my infant son who was far too young to understand the concept of the placebo effect and they still worked on him. BTW, when I gave him homeopathic treatments, that was after discussing with his pediatrician who, as expected, was skeptical they would have any effect but felt comfortable that they wouldn't do any harm.
The placebo effect in an infant is that the parent feels like s/he is doing something to help the child. As suzy_q says, all of us are susceptible to it. When I worked in a peds office, we said the same thing. They do no harm because they have no active ingredients (except for those teething tabs, which were a corruption of the term 'homeopathic'). The problem is when parents use homeopathic meds instead of seeking medical attention.

Old 07-07-2017, 12:18 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:

And homeopathic remedies can contain active ingredients.

The mechanism is the same. If you are claiming that all homeopathic remedies only contain inactive ingredients, you are SHOWING that you did ZERO RESEARCH and don't know anything about this topic.
Please name a vaccine that contains no active ingredients. Note that those made from inactivated organisms still have an active effect on the immune system.

The very way that homeopathic products are supposed to be made guarantees they have no active ingredients. If they contain active ingredients, they are either not homeopathic or the active ingredients are due to manufacturing error.

The mechanism by which a vaccine works is not the same as the claimed mechanism - which defies physics - that homeopathy works.

Old 07-07-2017, 12:25 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,670,073 times
Question Going by "like cures like", wouldn't Calms' dilution of passionflower and chamomile be used to promote wakefulness?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I've worked off and on with homeopathy and my number #1 product is Calms Forte which I use in my sleep remedy. Talking to the Hyland people, it's their #1 selling product. They been out of stock on the larger 100 tab bottle for a while as the demand is so high. Could all those who use this Calms Forte be so wrong. I sleep good with my sleep combo and Calms is part of it.
Or maybe Calms is effective in part because of the placebo effect, and also because it is actually a weak Naturopathic sleep drug, masquerading as Homeopathic?

Calms is made by Hyland's, a company well known for selling not-very-homeopathic "natural" remedies, such as the teething products which contained so much belladonna that 10 babies died. Even after ten deaths and hundreds of reports of babies experiencing seizures and other adverse reaction, Hyland and their supplier Standard Homeopathic Company refused to issue a recall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
If they contain active ingredients, they are either not homeopathic or the active ingredients are due to manufacturing error.
Or Hyland's is selling Naturopathic herbal drugs (like Belladonna), leveraging the "Homeopathic" label to increase sales?

For example, Calms Forte does not closely adhere to the usual homeopathic principles. You'd think a homeopathic "sleep aid" would use massively diluted stimulants, but instead Calrms has relatively un-diluted tinctures of Passionflower (1x) and Chamomile (3x), both of which are well-known traditional herbal sleep aids, normally used as full strength (not homeopathic) drugs.

If "like cures like", wouldn't a dilution of passionflower and chamomile be used to promote wakefulness?

Quote:
Name a vaccine which does not contain "active ingredients" (note that a "killed" virus or viral fragments is still an "active ingredient").
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Like cures like, in a non-homeopathic fashion would be giving a stimulant to hyperactive children to calm them down. If you gave the stimulant to a person without that problem, it would cause the opposite effect.

Examples - Ritalin and coffee
Funny you should mention coffee. The inventor of homeopathy, Samuel Hahnemann, originally blamed coffee for many health woes, and even today practitioners often claim coffee is a near-universal antidote to homeopathic "drugs".

Luckily Samuel eventually gave up on his opposition to coffee, eventually moving on to his "Psora theory".
Quote:
I don't believe you can expect to test alternative treatments in the same way you test pharmaceutical drugs, like acupuncture, hypnosis, oils, etc. You can't use a microscope, you'd need to look at real results.
So you're saying science can't see the "drugs" included in a homeopathic remedy, even under an electron microscope, and can't explain the mechanism by which they influence health using any standard scientific terms or biological process?

On that, we agree!

Old 07-07-2017, 12:28 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,939,806 times
According to the NCCIH:

"Although people sometimes assume that all homeopathic remedies are highly diluted and therefore unlikely to cause harm, some products labeled as homeopathic can contain substantial amounts of active ingredients and therefore could cause side effects and drug interactions."

Old 07-07-2017, 12:29 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,093,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Homeopathy was invented in 1796 by someone with absolutely no knowledge of the foundations of modern medicine. Its remedies work no better than placebo and in fact contain no active ingredients, since any starting materials have been diluted so much by the methods used to make them that the laws of physics dictate they contain not a single molecule of that substance.

Prescription drugs must be shown to work better than placebo. Should not homeopathic products also have to be shown to be more effective than placebo?

Is it ethical to sell a product that contains only water and works no better than a placebo without identifying it as a placebo?

https://www.nhmrc.gov.au/_files_nhmr...homeopathy.pdf

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/reference/homeopathy/
No, it's not ethical.

Homeopathy is a scam. Plenty of evidence exists to support that claim. None exists to suggest that homeopathy is worth it. It is 100% unethical to sell someone something that does not do what they say it does.

Imagine you went to a dentist, and instead of working on your teeth, he gave you an eye exam? And that's not even a great example, because at least an eye exam is useful (when done by an optometrist, of course). A better would be the dentists just screams for 2 hours. It's a waste of time, does nothing, and doesn't make an sense to anyone who takes less 30 minutes out of their life to sit and think about it.

Old 07-07-2017, 12:41 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,738,469 times
I really don't care how Hylands Calms works, but it's part of my sleep solution. And when I wake up at 2-3AM and can't get back to sleep, and I try, I pop another Calms and back to dreamland. No harm.

Old 07-07-2017, 01:01 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
According to the NCCIH:

"Although people sometimes assume that all homeopathic remedies are highly diluted and therefore unlikely to cause harm, some products labeled as homeopathic can contain substantial amounts of active ingredients and therefore could cause side effects and drug interactions."
What that means is that some products are mislabeled. They are not homeopathic, whether by design or error, even if they claim to be. That's exactly what happened with the teething pills.

Old 07-07-2017, 01:23 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,670,073 times
Exclamation Hyland's "Tiny Cold Capsules" contained deadly gelsemium sempervirens, resulting in death

Quote:
Quote:
Spiritually, homeopathy is a scam because it's New Age.
It's pretty Old Age as I understand it. Not from the New Age times.
To the extent that naturopathy incorporates homeopathy, it falls into the general class of "new age", in that it claims to offer alternative approaches to traditional Western culture.

Quote:
I really don't care how Hylands Calms works, but it's part of my sleep solution. And when I wake up at 2-3AM and can't get back to sleep, and I try, I pop another Calms and back to dreamland. No harm.
As mentioned above some products are mislabeled. Calms appear to be a naturopathic herbal remedy at best. They are not homeopathic, whether by design or error, even if they claim to be.

At least Hyland’s Homeopathic hasn't killed anybody with Calms (yet), unlike their teething pills and cold remedy.

Old 07-07-2017, 02:41 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,738,469 times
Did anyone see ingredients in Calms Forte. Some one mentioned passionflower and chamomile which are herbals.

https://www.swansonvitamins.com/hyla...p-aid-100-tabs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates