Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2017, 09:48 AM

12,964 posts, read 13,681,864 times

Advertisements

The challenge today with teaching history is the amount of information that is quickly retrievable. That should be processed into the teaching methodology. Essentially every student in class can have in their hand all the books, journals, dissertations, articles and papers on the subject. It makes learning names and dates not a good use of time. IMO teaching history should involve students learning how to establish an era in time and then try to find out what or who made the biggest footprint in that era.

Old 10-12-2017, 06:21 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,255,902 times
History classes focus on trivia too much and don't teach enough synthesis. I understand that synthesizing exposes the school to allegations of bias, since then historian is putting their own spin on things instead of just reporting facts, however it would help to tie things together.

For example, what is the population of the largest city, the average income, the cost of a meal, the average lifespan? Comparing these numbers across time would be more valuable than memorizing random facts.

Old 10-12-2017, 07:25 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,670,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
The challenge today with teaching history is the amount of information that is quickly retrievable. That should be processed into the teaching methodology. Essentially every student in class can have in their hand all the books, journals, dissertations, articles and papers on the subject. It makes learning names and dates not a good use of time. IMO teaching history should involve students learning how to establish an era in time and then try to find out what or who made the biggest footprint in that era.
Why is "the amount of information that is quickly retrievable" a problem? Isn't that an advantage for both the teacher and the student? Shouldn't the teacher be able to fill in gaps in his/her knowledge much more easily today than 30 years ago?

While "every student in class can have in their hand all the books, journals, dissertations, articles and papers on the subject," try getting a history class to read even a section of a textbook. Students want to be spoon feed the information on a study guide so they can regurgitate the same information back on a test. This isn't just in high schools but this same behavior/attitude carries over to survey courses at many colleges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
History classes focus on trivia too much and don't teach enough synthesis. I understand that synthesizing exposes the school to allegations of bias, since then historian is putting their own spin on things instead of just reporting facts, however it would help to tie things together.

For example, what is the population of the largest city, the average income, the cost of a meal, the average lifespan? Comparing these numbers across time would be more valuable than memorizing random facts.
Synthesis starts with some level of knowledge of a subject. It may not be important to know exact dates but how can you synthesize history if you don't have a general timeline of when events occurred in time. For example, if I gave you four wars that the U.S. fought, can you place them in the order they occurred? Many high school students can't do that.

Old 10-13-2017, 09:22 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,908,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Why is "the amount of information that is quickly retrievable" a problem? Isn't that an advantage for both the teacher and the student? Shouldn't the teacher be able to fill in gaps in his/her knowledge much more easily today than 30 years ago?

While "every student in class can have in their hand all the books, journals, dissertations, articles and papers on the subject," try getting a history class to read even a section of a textbook. Students want to be spoon feed the information on a study guide so they can regurgitate the same information back on a test. This isn't just in high schools but this same behavior/attitude carries over to survey courses at many colleges.

Synthesis starts with some level of knowledge of a subject. It may not be important to know exact dates but how can you synthesize history if you don't have a general timeline of when events occurred in time. For example, if I gave you four wars that the U.S. fought, can you place them in the order they occurred? Many high school students can't do that.
Or even matching wars by start and end dates. The Revolution, World War 2 and Civil War are easy to but Mexican-American war I don't recall (it wasnt gone over in any history class I took though I think it wad the 1840's) while a relatively minor war like the Spanish-American War of 1898 I do (partly due to San Juan Hill and the Rough Riders.

Old 10-15-2017, 05:01 AM

12,964 posts, read 13,681,864 times
Quote:

A challenge doesn't necessarily have to be a problem. A methodology needs to be developed with students using information technology. If student all have laptops they can survey different materials instead of all of them looking at the same book from the same editors. This would reduce bias as they are not gathering information from a single source. I would go a long way to not only teach content but teaching what historians do to come to conclusions about the past.

Old 10-15-2017, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
A challenge doesn't necessarily have to be a problem. A methodology needs to be developed with students using information technology. If student all have laptops they can survey different materials instead of all of them looking at the same book from the same editors. This would reduce bias as they are not gathering information from a single source. I would go a long way to not only teach content but teaching what historians do to come to conclusions about the past.
Why are you so concerned about bias? Do you assume that everything in history textbooks is biased? High school history textbooks are an overview of history. It is a starting point. Have you taught history or civics? I got certified in social studies as something to do in retirement. I've completed several long term subbing assignments and I think the latest teaching theory of the month has resulted in students who know less than previous generations. Education has turned into fill in worksheets and then regurgitate the study guide on a test.

I was recently reviewing a worksheet that I gave a U.S. History class. The students were supposed to read the section of the chapter and fill out the worksheet (know as a guided reading activity in education lingo. The topic as WWI and the students had to define the word, "stalemate," in regard to trench warfare in WWI. Many of the students Googled the word and wrote down the definition of stalemate in the game of chess. They refuse to read the book and then they (and their parents) don't understand why they score below 50% on the tests.

When I was in high school in the early 1970s, scoring below 50% on chapter tests would've resulted in an "F" grade on my report card. Today, teachers do things like have the students correct the questions they missed to get half credit for those questions. This would result in a 50% score ending up being a 75%. With credit for homework, turning in worksheets, group projects, etc., that student may end up with a B or possibly an "A" in the class. Since the student knows they will likely get no lower than a B in the class, what incentive is there to read the chapter or study for a test?

Old 10-15-2017, 10:54 AM

50,840 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
Why are you so concerned about bias? Do you assume that everything in history textbooks is biased? High school history textbooks are an overview of history. It is a starting point. Have you taught history or civics? I got certified in social studies as something to do in retirement. I've completed several long term subbing assignments and I think the latest teaching theory of the month has resulted in students who know less than previous generations. Education has turned into fill in worksheets and then regurgitate the study guide on a test.

I was recently reviewing a worksheet that I gave a U.S. History class. The students were supposed to read the section of the chapter and fill out the worksheet (know as a guided reading activity in education lingo. The topic as WWI and the students had to define the word, "stalemate," in regard to trench warfare in WWI. Many of the students Googled the word and wrote down the definition of stalemate in the game of chess. They refuse to read the book and then they (and their parents) don't understand why they score below 50% on the tests.

When I was in high school in the early 1970s, scoring below 50% on chapter tests would've resulted in an "F" grade on my report card. Today, teachers do things like have the students correct the questions they missed to get half credit for those questions. This would result in a 50% score ending up being a 75%. With credit for homework, turning in worksheets, group projects, etc., that student may end up with a B or possibly an "A" in the class. Since the student knows they will likely get no lower than a B in the class, what incentive is there to read the chapter or study for a test?
I can't speak for the schools you have subbed in, but in 33 years of education, as both a teacher and administrator, we always gave subs dumbed down lessons compared to what a regular teacher would do because we never knew what a sub's knowledge base would be when a class needed to be covered. Most subs had little real knowledge of the content.

Old 10-15-2017, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I can't speak for the schools you have subbed in, but in 33 years of education, as both a teacher and administrator, we always gave subs dumbed down lessons compared to what a regular teacher would do because we never knew what a sub's knowledge base would be when a class needed to be covered. Most subs had little real knowledge of the content.
I've been in the current long term sub job for six weeks. The regular teacher had not started teaching the regular curriculum. The department policy is to begin this U.S. History course starting in the 1890s/McKinley administration. I was told to do what I wanted to do. I was not given any specific lesson plans.

I will not take a long term sub job where I don't think I can do at least as well as the current teacher. For example, I turned down a long term position for German. I have no knowledge of German and told the district they could find someone who was more qualified than me. I think in most cases, districts can find long term subs who are certified to teach the subject. Situations where I'm aware districts have had trouble finding a certified sub are physics and foreign languages. The issue with some districts is they don't try hard enough or they wait too late. I was contacted for one long term position one week before a teacher was going in for a c-section.

Old 10-15-2017, 01:02 PM

50,840 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
I've been in the current long term sub job for six weeks. The regular teacher had not started teaching the regular curriculum. The department policy is to begin this U.S. History course starting in the 1890s/McKinley administration. I was told to do what I wanted to do. I was not given any specific lesson plans.

I will not take a long term sub job where I don't think I can do at least as well as the current teacher. For example, I turned down a long term position for German. I have no knowledge of German and told the district they could find someone who was more qualified than me. I think in most cases, districts can find long term subs who are certified to teach the subject. Situations where I'm aware districts have had trouble finding a certified sub are physics and foreign languages. The issue with some districts is they don't try hard enough or they wait too late. I was contacted for one long term position one week before a teacher was going in for a c-section.
No. I was in one of the best educated and higher-income (though mixed) counties in the nation, and we could rarely get subs who were truly qualified. We paid top dollar for subs.

Old 10-15-2017, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
No. I was in one of the best educated and higher-income (though mixed) counties in the nation, and we could rarely get subs who were truly qualified. We paid top dollar for subs.
I'm in Western PA and we have an oversupply of certified teachers. For years PA has graduated too many teachers for the available positions, and many have left the state for Maryland, Virginia, and Florida. Many schools still have a shortage of subs due to the low pay. Some of the subs I have met are retired, former, and furloughed teachers.

I realize we are off subject but one of the things that has surprised me about subbing is how little the principals care know or seem to care about what is going on in the classrooms. The idea of managing by walking around doesn't exist in any of the schools where I have been. I have probably subbed in 40 different schools. In some schools, I rarely, if ever, see the principal.

Back to the original topic, I think much more could be taught in the area of history and civics, and all students should be exposed to U.S. History from the pre-Revolution to the current presidential administration. I would also suggest end of course tests similar to what is done with the Regents Exams in New York. They require the following tests:
  • United States History and Government
  • Global History and Geography (Starting in 2018, the Global History and Geography Regents will be replaced by Global History II)
I would explain more, but I have grading and lesson plans to work on for tomorrow.

Last edited by villageidiot1; 10-15-2017 at 07:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates