Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2017, 12:44 PM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by history nerd View Post
Lol wut?

As a moderate Republican who just registered as a Dem for the first time I couldn't disagree more.
Years ago I started out as a Republican, the saw myself as an independent, and in recent years have become more and more a Democrat...now to the point that I will NEVER vote for a Republican for any office ever again.

To me, the Grand Old Party is no longer grand, and now just old.

And its because of issues just like what this thread is about. The inability to even try to understand how minorities in this country feel, and the embracing of the GOP by Nazis and stormfronters and the like. They aren't my kind of people and never will be.

Old 08-23-2017, 12:49 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,646,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Robert E. Lee was a military man that happened to inherit slaves from his wife's family. He wrote against slavery.
SOON2BNSURPRISE, have you found the links to Lee's writings against slavery yet?

I've scoured the internet and haven't turned up anything written by Lee against slavery.

I did find a newspaper article penned by Lee in the 1850s. In it, Lee defended his failure to abide by his father-in-law's request in his will that the father-in-law's slaves be emancipated within five years of his death. I also learned that when some of those slaves that his father in law stipulated be emancipated tried to escape to freedom after Lee inherited them, he recaptured them and had them severely punished.

But, I've found nothing so far where Lee wrote that "slavery should be abolished" or even that "slavery is a bad idea."

So, I'd very much appreciate it if you could direct me to links of Lee's actual written denouncements against slavery.

P.S. If you'd like the link to the article Lee wrote in the 1850s about why he didn't emancipate his father in law's slaves as his father in law stipulated in his will, let me know. I'll be happy to share the link.

Last edited by RosieSD; 08-23-2017 at 01:07 PM..

Old 08-23-2017, 12:55 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,249,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
My opinion is that, if you see a statue you don't like, root for the pigeons. Maybe throw some seed on the statue.
Does this something to do with that you are a cat trying to attract birds?

Old 08-23-2017, 01:16 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,208,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
Anyone who started out considering themselves as a moderate leftist, can rest assured that the people who now consider themselves true leftists probably see you as being on the right. When will you change your party affiliation to reflect that? Welcome to our party, in advance. The way things are going on the left it is only a matter of time.
Sure because the extremists are only on the left. There are no extremists on the right. Only thoughtful moderate people

That's why Tomi Lahren got fired from The Blaze for stating she's pro-choice on the view.

That's why far-right pundits and Trump flame moderate Republicans like Flake, McCain and McConnell for Trump not getting his way.

That's why Breibart, a hardcore right wing website has been flaming Trump, his daughter and his son-in-law for Bannon's dismissal and the shift in the Afghan policy.

You don't want to hear this but there are a bunch of loud jackass extremist Conservatives. There all over this website. Of course when you are an extremist yourself you're to blind too see it. As they say you point the finger at someone else ten more point it back at you.

With both parties being hi-jack by loudmouth extremists, moderate libs and cons are going to have to form their own party soon to get away from the nut jobs.

Last edited by Ro2113; 08-23-2017 at 01:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.