Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2017, 12:16 AM

18,561 posts, read 7,368,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
You're assuming that there is enough of a pool of Americans wanting do do manual labor that they would run to take those jobs if the pay was raised. That just isn't true - there simply aren't enough people who want to do hard manual labor, no matter how high the wage.
LOL. Millions upon millions of Americans do it for free. Most people do hard manual labor at home. Where do you live? A deluxe apartment in the sky?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2017, 12:23 AM

Quote:
It simply ISN'T hard for "high school students and college students" to find work, though. There are tons of jobs that used to be filled by kids that age that now can't find enough workers. Examples: public swimming pools and parks have had to shorten their hours or close extra days because they can't find enough lifeguards, concession workers, general laborers and the like. My friends who own small construction and painting businesses can't find ANY college kids now who are willing to work in the summers.
Then they need to offer to pay the market rate.

Old 09-06-2017, 12:25 AM

Quote:
You're assuming that there is enough of a pool of Americans wanting do do manual labor that they would run to take those jobs if the pay was raised. That just isn't true - there simply aren't enough people who want to do hard manual labor, no matter how high the wage.
I can't believe someone would actually make such a claim! You have to know how ridiculous that sounds.

Old 09-06-2017, 12:42 AM

6,904 posts, read 7,600,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrupt Politician View Post
Anyone who says "Americans are too lazy" are just demonstrating the bubble they live in. Plenty of Americans willing to work hard for a fair price.
Get out of the bubble.
Alternatively, some posters here should could actually lead a real life as a home owner, small business owner, and employer. These posters will learn that it is incredibly difficult to find sober good workers who are actually willing to do hard manual labor.

Those who believe that there are plenty of American workers throughout the country who are just waiting to jump to work in a slaughterhouse or cleaning bat guano out of attics for more than a few months if those jobs just paid $15 or more an hour are the ones who are really living in a bubble.

Again I say, SEND me an illegal alien who is drug/alcohol free and willing to do long term hard physical labor for me and my friends and I'll hire them in a minute, pay them $20 an hour, and give them free housing, too.

Old 09-06-2017, 06:00 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,835,280 times
People who say illegals are taking our jobs are kidding themselves and simply repeating the lies from Trump. The absolute truth is, the jobs these people are taking are jobs Americans are too lazy and too "good" to accept. I don't see any Americans lining up to work in the fields 12-15 hours a day in the hot sun, or out trimming trees and mowing lawns for low wages.

Hell, we can't even get Americans to show up on time or to stay off of their damn cell phones all day, once they do show up ! I see them at work every day, staring at their phones instead of doing the work we are paid to do. As for HS kids and college kids needing jobs, yeah, good luck with that one. If we can't get them to show up and work 8 hours in the air conditioning, you sure as Hell are not going to get them out in the fields, carrying 100 pound baskets of fruit.

I've worked side by side with illegals, and they show up, keep their heads down, and give you a full days work for a full days pay. They are willing to do that to feed and clothe their families, and they take those wages and spend them here on food, clothing, rent, gas, etc, etc.

So, it is not as simple as "They are taking our jobs", when you look at the reality of the situation. Many employers would go out of business if they didn't have these folks to depend on. The real truth is, a lot of Americans want us to become more white, and illegals do not fit that description.

Old 09-06-2017, 06:11 AM

27,196 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
A sneering commentary by someone who accuses others of talking out of their backsides when they have no clue themselves.

What bubble do you live in? You sound as though you have no experience in the real world, where people work with their hands. Take a look at all the trades.....construction, roofing, masonry, welding, landscaping, irrigation, etc. Mostly done by crews of illegals. And yes, they HAVE taken work away from American citizens who formerly did this type of work, and would still, if they could get it or weren't constantly getting underbid by illegals.
You clearly have no clue. Do you suppose if suddenly there were no illegal immigrants that those who want blue collar jobs will find them for $15-$20 an hour? It's not happening as many companies would go out of business due to the inability to pay those wages. There is no going back to what it was like before and if you think there is, you truly are clueless.

Old 09-06-2017, 06:55 AM

50,748 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
"Undocumented illegals" fill jobs lazy low-skilled Americans never would and despite the rhetoric spewed by clueless conservative politicians, that's the facts Jack. They are filling essential jobs like picking fruits/vegetables (they don't magically pop out of the fields and into supermarkets), performing low skilled construction jobs at $8-$10 an hour versus $15-$20, washing dishes in restaurants at minimum wage, cleaning offices and hotel rooms for $8 an hour and the list goes on. Anyone who states they're stealing American jobs is talking out of their backside, as it's well documented Americans won't work at those wages and if they're not...who will? Critical thought is a fun tool that really needs to utilized much more than it is...
I agree with all this. In fact I heard in California fruit is rotting on the vines because they don't have enough pickers anymore (we have had more Mexican citizens go back in the past few years then come here, because the Mexican economy improved). Today I heard that the Dairy industry and the meat-processing plants in the midwest are worried about having enough workers with the loss of low-skilled immigrants.

These are jobs Americans don't want for the most part, low pay and horrible jobs (especially the meat plants). In terms of farming, these workers pick up their families and travel once a crop season is over. For instance they come to NJ to pick blueberries and peaches and tomatoes, but that is only a few month job...once fall comes, they will go to California and pick crops there, or another state with seasonal demand. I don't know any Americans who want to live like this and just head off to a new state every few months where they get to live on a cot with 100 other workers in whatever facilities the farm provides.

Here in my town, we used to have American kids who worked the boardwalk in the summer...we still do, but the supply is MUCH lower then years past, because many American kids don't need to/want to work, and also because the housing has become too expensive for summer workers. So we have mostly students from Ukraine and Russia and Eastern Europe working the front line positions, while the immigrants from Mexico are in the bathrooms handing out paper towels and cleaning toilets.

If a store can't get an American kid to sell kites or hand out ice cream, I highly doubt they will find any to clean bathrooms.

Btw, in regard to housing, the immigrant workers (both Euro and non) are willing to live in old, crappy boarding homes 6 to a room, or they will be paid with housing and small stipend instead of a full check.

[CENTER]Save[/CENTER]

Old 09-06-2017, 07:03 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,773,460 times
Wow.

One wonders how America built buildings, installed roofing, and picked an apple before the days of unfettered illegal immigration.

Old 09-06-2017, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
People who say illegals are taking our jobs are kidding themselves and simply repeating the lies from Trump. The absolute truth is, the jobs these people are taking are jobs Americans are too lazy and too "good" to accept. I don't see any Americans lining up to work in the fields 12-15 hours a day in the hot sun, or out trimming trees and mowing lawns for low wages.
Then the wages shouldn't be low. Obviously.

The employers are greedy, and instead of paying the market rate, they cheat their fellow Americans by going outside the market. And then they tell ludicrous lies about Americans being unwilling to do the jobs!

Old 09-06-2017, 07:18 AM

50,748 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Wow.

One wonders how America built buildings, installed roofing, and picked an apple before the days of unfettered illegal immigration.
I think we still build buildings and install roofing, the low wage workers do mostly clean-up and grunt work, while Americans still do the highly skilled jobs. Americans also own the companies doing the construction.

As far as the apples, back in the day farms were more localized, and entire families worked the farms, often at the expense of sending their kids to school (now the kids go off to college). But mostly we didn't grow our food on ginormous factory farms back then and you didn't need a 100 man crew to pick fruit. That to me is the main difference. I know you were just being snarky, but there are actual answers to your comment.

[CENTER]SaveSaveSave[/CENTER]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates