Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2017, 12:03 PM

24,490 posts, read 17,226,594 times

Advertisements

Since Colin Kapernick took a knee during the anthem in protest last year the issue has been getting bigger and bigger every week. There are many NFL fans who have chosen to boycott their teams due to the protesting players and their convoluted message. There are many who see the kneeling as a direct protest to America, the Flag, our Soldiers in the Military, our President and the Police. Some believe those players are disrespecting the very country that has given them everything. There are not too many places in the world where you could be paid piles of money to play a game so they should be grateful and not bite the hand that feeds them.

I think it is ridiculous to walk out on the NFL due to this.
I think it is wrong to kneel during the anthem but that seems to be the only recourse these guys think they have to bring attention to their cause.

I'd like to see an end to this type of protest and we can once again return to enjoying the game together.

I have 2 ideas.

Why don't the players get together to make a 30 second PSA that will be aired once during each televised game. The players could explain their problems and offer suggestions on how we can all get together to fix these things. I bet the NFL might even pay for these spots to get the negative spotlight off the games

Another idea: As many of us know VP Pence walked out of a NFL game due to some of the players taking a knee during the anthem. He chose not to support the players that do not support America.

I think it would be terrific if Pence could get together with several notable players on a show like 60 Minutes and listen to what they want to come from their protests. This would give the players a real voice to explain their situation and hopefully some solutions on what we can do and what the Trump admin can do to make race relations better.

If such a commercial or sit down talk was to happen I think it would do much to heal the wounds and get people back to watching and enjoying the games.

What do you think?
Should Pence sit down with the players to hear their concerns and hopefully solutions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2017, 12:25 PM

3,532 posts, read 3,021,349 times
It won't help. The players have explained why they are doing this and the others have explained why they don't approve. There's nothing more to say that will make anyone change their minds. Pence has nothing to gain especially after the alleged publicity stunt Sunday. If he even appeared to sympathize with the players, it would hurt his base for no payoff bc no one who dislikes Trump will all of a sudden be fans bc Pence might listen to them for an hour.

Old 10-10-2017, 12:27 PM

50,809 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I have 2 ideas.

Why don't the players get together to make a 30 second PSA that will be aired once during each televised game. The players could explain their problems and offer suggestions on how we can all get together to fix these things. I bet the NFL might even pay for these spots to get the negative spotlight off the games

Another idea: As many of us know VP Pence walked out of a NFL game due to some of the players taking a knee during the anthem. He chose not to support the players that do not support America.

I think it would be terrific if Pence could get together with several notable players on a show like 60 Minutes and listen to what they want to come from their protests. This would give the players a real voice to explain their situation and hopefully some solutions on what we can do and what the Trump admin can do to make race relations better.

If such a commercial or sit down talk was to happen I think it would do much to heal the wounds and get people back to watching and enjoying the games.

What do you think?
Should Pence sit down with the players to hear their concerns and hopefully solutions?
This is a very good idea.

They have made it very clear that this is not about not supporting America.

I can only assume that you are joking here. Trump has done everything he can through tweets to do just the opposite. He's not going to change.

Old 10-10-2017, 12:44 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,455,426 times
Well, Pence could instead discuss the issue they are concerned about and thoughts about how to effect change;

Or, he could just go about the business of being VP, and let the NFL worry about it's employees.

But since neither will get Trumps base into a frenzied state, I'd doubt either will happen.

Old 10-10-2017, 12:58 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,207,175 times
Quote:
Since Colin Kapernick took a knee during the anthem in protest last year the issue has been getting bigger and bigger every week. There are many NFL fans who have chosen to boycott their teams due to the protesting players and their convoluted message. There are many who see the kneeling as a direct protest to America, the Flag, our Soldiers in the Military, our President and the Police. Some believe those players are disrespecting the very country that has given them everything. There are not too many places in the world where you could be paid piles of money to play a game so they should be grateful and not bite the hand that feeds them.

I think it is ridiculous to walk out on the NFL due to this.
I think it is wrong to kneel during the anthem but that seems to be the only recourse these guys think they have to bring attention to their cause.

I'd like to see an end to this type of protest and we can once again return to enjoying the game together.

I have 2 ideas.

What do you think?
Well I think you are very devoted to football. Me at this point could careless if the NFL dies off or not. For years the NFL has had several problems from players constantly getting in trouble with the law to the CTE issues to relocation and stadium issues and no one cared.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Well, Pence could instead discuss the issue they are concerned about and thoughts about how to effect change;

Or, he could just go about the business of being VP, and let the NFL worry about it's employees.

But since neither will get Trumps base into a frenzied state, I'd doubt either will happen.
Tax reform and border wall funding isn't coming easy for Trump, and neither is Obamacare repeal so he might as well get people talking about this even though it isn't in his job.

It's funny though, the national anthem protest was beginning to waver in general, than he opened his big mouth and the media's inordinate coverage of him and the protest in general has blown this up far bigger than it should be.

You would think people would be smart enough to catch on to these tactics but not here.

Old 10-10-2017, 01:06 PM

1,148 posts, read 3,557,270 times
Idk. I think a VP should just be a VP.

I’m wondering what to do now when I’m at a sporting event and the National Anthem is played. Do I stand with my hand on my heart and look at the flag with respect in my heart? Or do I stand, place my hand on my heart and look around to see if anyone is kneeling? I ask this because I recently caught myself looking around to see if anyone was kneeling during the National Anthem at a recent high school football game. I immediately corrected myself and felt ashamed. But this is what our VP just did. He looked to see if anyone was kneeling rather than respecting his country and flag.

From now on, I will do better to make sure I’m doing what I feel is right and not worry about others.

Old 10-10-2017, 02:06 PM

24,490 posts, read 17,226,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post

This meeting would be in the best interest of America. This is a Black/ White issue. The players are Black and most of the people who are walking out and ignoring the NFL are White.
I started another debate here that asked if "NFL kneelers + walkouts = racism" and it has received many thoughtful and inciteful comments.

I think if Pence did sit down to listen to the grievances of the Black community that the NFL players are bringing attention to then that would go a long way to bridging the divide.
Of course the Left would complain that it was nothing but a publicity stunt and the extreme Right would call Trump a sell out but there are millions of us that stand in the Middle and we would like to see something done. Sitting down to talk is a start.

I think the NFL commissioner and the owners should require the players to stand for the anthem and this would fall under the guidelines from the rule book as the players are not allowed to do excessive celebrations in the end zone or allowed to alter their uniforms in anyway for example.

Pence could smooth over the hard stance that Trump has taken.

Old 10-10-2017, 02:11 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,368,709 times
Quote:
This meeting would be in the best interest of America. This is a Black/ White issue. The players are Black and most of the people who are walking out and ignoring the NFL are White.
I started another debate here that asked if "NFL kneelers + walkouts = racism" and it has received many thoughtful and inciteful comments.

I think if Pence did sit down to listen to the grievances of the Black community that the NFL players are bringing attention to then that would go a long way to bridging the divide.
Of course the Left would complain that it was nothing but a publicity stunt and the extreme Right would call Trump a sell out but there are millions of us that stand in the Middle and we would like to see something done. Sitting down to talk is a start.

I think the NFL commissioner and the owners should require the players to stand for the anthem and this would fall under the guidelines from the rule book as the players are not allowed to do excessive celebrations in the end zone or allowed to alter their uniforms in anyway for example.

...Freudian slip or just auto-correct?

Old 10-10-2017, 02:23 PM

1,387 posts, read 1,071,781 times
Remember 180 degrees ago?

Old 10-10-2017, 02:23 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,594,254 times
Quote:

What about the Govt paying the NFL players to be 'more patriotic'? Apparently this money has been wasted in their opinion, strange no one brings this aspect up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates