Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2017, 09:35 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,589,954 times

Advertisements

The Pence walk-out was planned from the get-go. It was a staged stunt that cost us, the taxpayers, hundreds of thousands of dollars. Our government at work.

The White House is trying to divert attention from its other notable problems (Russia investigation, obstruction of justice investigation, a key date having passed w/nothing in the agenda having been done, etc.). It obviously shouldn't be involving itself in NFL player issues. Reminds me of Pres Bush causing our Congress to have hearings on steroid use in baseball (remember that? cost the taxpayers millions, and it had nothing to do with governing the country; the prez was a baseball fan).

No, Pence shouldn't sit down on 60 Minutes w/the NFL. Why?

This is not a big issue, except to some, I guess. I think it's stupid to kneel during the anthem, but ultimately, I don't care. Whatever they want to do, that's up to them.

They are not dissing the vets or the flag. That's silly and is just typical Trump, personally attacking some bizarro thing. Imagine having all the important stuff in the country to be studying up on, learning about, working on plans to handle, like North Korea, Iran, several disasters in the country simultaneously occurring...and he's spending time on this silly thing? The citizens should ask themselves why. Why would he be spending days on this, with all the other huge issues to handle?

You should know that it's been mentioned in a Congressional hearing that it's become known that the Russians (who are still trolling the internet) have gotten in on the NFL thing, and are egging the issue on, to create disputes and division in America. Don't buy into this false issue. We have some real problems to deal with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2017, 10:17 PM

3,532 posts, read 3,023,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
The Pence walk-out was planned from the get-go. It was a staged stunt that cost us, the taxpayers, hundreds of thousands of dollars. Our government at work.

The White House is trying to divert attention from its other notable problems (Russia investigation, obstruction of justice investigation, a key date having passed w/nothing in the agenda having been done, etc.). It obviously shouldn't be involving itself in NFL player issues. Reminds me of Pres Bush causing our Congress to have hearings on steroid use in baseball (remember that? cost the taxpayers millions, and it had nothing to do with governing the country; the prez was a baseball fan).

No, Pence shouldn't sit down on 60 Minutes w/the NFL. Why?

This is not a big issue, except to some, I guess. I think it's stupid to kneel during the anthem, but ultimately, I don't care. Whatever they want to do, that's up to them.

They are not dissing the vets or the flag. That's silly and is just typical Trump, personally attacking some bizarro thing. Imagine having all the important stuff in the country to be studying up on, learning about, working on plans to handle, like North Korea, Iran, several disasters in the country simultaneously occurring...and he's spending time on this silly thing? The citizens should ask themselves why. Why would he be spending days on this, with all the other huge issues to handle?

You should know that it's been mentioned in a Congressional hearing that it's become known that the Russians (who are still trolling the internet) have gotten in on the NFL thing, and are egging the issue on, to create disputes and division in America. Don't buy into this false issue. We have some real problems to deal with.
Not only that, but it was very disrespectful to Manning since it was his day. If Pence knew he'd leave if anyone kneels and based on past weeks, the likelihood was very high that at least one player would kneel, then he should have just stayed home. He's no Colts fan if he'd do that to Manning and the Colts.

Old 10-11-2017, 04:05 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,550,307 times
Lightbulb Should VP Pence sit down with NFL on 60 Minutes?

Pence has nothing to say to 68% of America. His only concerns are doing whatever it takes to please tRump and appeal to that shrinking base.

The NFL would be unwise to take any steps that might possibly elevate the standing of that shameless toady.

Old 10-11-2017, 04:44 AM

1,387 posts, read 1,072,659 times
Pence would best resign and join the Shame Trump movement.

Old 10-11-2017, 05:24 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,381,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
This meeting would be in the best interest of America. This is a Black/ White issue. The players are Black and most of the people who are walking out and ignoring the NFL are White.
I started another debate here that asked if "NFL kneelers + walkouts = racism" and it has received many thoughtful and inciteful comments.

I think if Pence did sit down to listen to the grievances of the Black community that the NFL players are bringing attention to then that would go a long way to bridging the divide.
Of course the Left would complain that it was nothing but a publicity stunt and the extreme Right would call Trump a sell out but there are millions of us that stand in the Middle and we would like to see something done. Sitting down to talk is a start.

I think the NFL commissioner and the owners should require the players to stand for the anthem and this would fall under the guidelines from the rule book as the players are not allowed to do excessive celebrations in the end zone or allowed to alter their uniforms in anyway for example.

Pence could smooth over the hard stance that Trump has taken.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17thAndK View Post
Well, it's a doggie-dog world out there and no buddy is perfect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17thAndK View Post
Yikes! Usually, you see "for all INTENSIVE purposes." And yes, "eggcorn" is the catch-all for such, but don't just be looking for an "escape goat" out there.
Hmmm...all signs of a culture that apparently watches lots of crap videos but doesn't read anything above a 2nd grade reading level? They write what they hear, I guess. Maybe that's why the collective we think everyone is so stupid, including Pence?

Old 10-11-2017, 06:02 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,088,745 times
I get a real kick out of the anti-Trumpers who can't seem to understand that Trump has an ability to see and understand what the majority of Americans want or understand, and he has the wherewithal and the cajones to speak out about it. This is the reason he got elected in the first place. Like many other issues, he is right about this one too.

From what I saw that Goodell said, he didn't really come out and say that they cannot take a knee anymore without repercussion. Just that they shouldn't. I hope the owners take what Goodell said and make it a rule.

Old 10-11-2017, 06:28 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,550,307 times
Talking Trumpling math...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
I get a real kick out of the anti-Trumpers who can't seem to understand that Trump has an ability to see and understand what the majority of Americans want or understand, and he has the wherewithal and the cajones to speak out about it. This is the reason he got elected in the first place. Like many other issues, he is right about this one too.
To you, 33% is a "majority."

Carry on.

Old 10-11-2017, 06:52 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,608,522 times
Strange that no one brings up the issue of Govt and when they started paying the NFL to be more patriotic?

How bad is it when a govt has to pay an organization to be patriotic? Isnt there a word for that anyway? LOL

Old 10-11-2017, 10:44 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,908,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandy View Post
Idk. I think a VP should just be a VP.

I’m wondering what to do now when I’m at a sporting event and the National Anthem is played. Do I stand with my hand on my heart and look at the flag with respect in my heart? Or do I stand, place my hand on my heart and look around to see if anyone is kneeling? I ask this because I recently caught myself looking around to see if anyone was kneeling during the National Anthem at a recent high school football game. I immediately corrected myself and felt ashamed. But this is what our VP just did. He looked to see if anyone was kneeling rather than respecting his country and flag.

From now on, I will do better to make sure I’m doing what I feel is right and not worry about others.
I grew up a Boy Scout so I do respect the flag. I try not to people watch and instead just listen to the anthem, but it us hard. I've seen fans for YEARS shutdown for the anthem at hockey games. Some Canadian team fans would boo Ol' Glory while some American fans think it is a hoot to boo the leaf. Me I thought it was stupid to do either. The players kneeling, I'm not sure on but sitting for the anthem whether you are a fan or player is disrespectful.

But the other disrespectful flag activities are having a flag wave off a loving vehicle. If that flag touches the ground off of a truck, stock car after a win or a monster truck, that flag is disgraced and needs to be retired. For the anthem, I always hate the cat calls for "yet wave" or the high note on "free." Surprisingly, these acts aren't condemned by "True Patriots" the way kneeling is.

Old 10-11-2017, 10:48 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,908,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post

From what I saw that Goodell said, he didn't really come out and say that they cannot take a knee anymore without repercussion. Just that they shouldn't. I hope the owners take what Goodell said and make it a rule.
Trump does not represent MY America. He turned MY Boy Scouts into the modern day Hitler Youth during the Jamboree. He turned a sports league into a political circus. He had used tax dollars to support polticial crusades of his. He has divided us far more than we ever were under Obama. Whether you choose to see that or not is up to you but he had done that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates