Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2017, 07:28 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,890,912 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
Trump in all his wisdom turned the NFL thing into a political thing. He's provoking them to take a knee to protest HIM. What a bunch of fools chose him as the Republican's best man for president.
Because the NFL wasn't being "political". LOL.

#winning
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2017, 07:31 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,204,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post

#winning
Nope

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/n...ng-the-anthem/

Your posts are proof why cults are bad.

Time for you guys and the Donald to move on to things that actually matter. Things that are in the President's job description.

Last edited by Ro2113; 10-11-2017 at 07:56 PM..

Old 10-11-2017, 07:32 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,450,731 times
Quote:
LOL you didn't even click on the link I gave you.

It's right there.

You mean where it says "should" not "must"?

"Should" is a suggestion; "must" is an imperative.

Old 10-11-2017, 07:54 PM

1,412 posts, read 1,082,473 times
Nah, Pence sitting would be disrespectful. Snowflake should stand.

Old 10-11-2017, 08:31 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,450,731 times
Quote:
No, not when you're at work. And ESPECIALLY when there's a written rule prohibiting that action.
Quote:

From your link:
Quote:
Here’s what the game operations manual says regarding the national anthem, according to an NFL spokesperson:

"The National Anthem must be played prior to every NFL game, and all players must be on the sideline for the National Anthem. During the National Anthem, players on the field and bench area should stand at attention, face the flag, hold helmets in their left hand, and refrain from talking. The home team should ensure that the American flag is in good condition. It should be pointed out to players and coaches that we continue to be judged by the public in this area of respect for the flag and our country. Failure to be on the field by the start of the National Anthem may result in discipline, such as fines, suspensions, and/or the forfeiture of draft choice(s) for violations of the above, including first offenses."

It’s important to note the use of the word “may” here. The NFL is not considering punishing fines on players or teams who choose to kneel or stay in the locker room during the national anthem, the spokesperson says.
Quote:
LOL you didn't even click on the link I gave you.

It's right there.
Yeah...apparently it wasn't me who didnt read the link you provided....

Last edited by maciesmom; 10-11-2017 at 08:43 PM..

Old 10-12-2017, 06:00 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,083,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
^^^ This.

The black players are trying to make a statement about the way they feel there is injustice how African-Americans are often treated & it gets turned around & completely misrepresented by Trump & Fox News into a "anti-American" gesture. Thereby now the players are dissing America & patriotism, not what they actually say they are doing & of course the Fox/Trump crowd are so easily led as we've seen this past year with other Twitter faux controversies.

The NFL makes it's Billion$ on the back of mostly black players & it should respect that. (They should also lose their special tax status unless that is to be given to all entertainers.)
I am now retired. I wish that, during my working years, my employer had made billions on the backs of me and my coworkers like the NFL has, as long as I am paid well over 100x the average salary at the time. I know my retirement would be a lot more comfortable now.

Old 10-12-2017, 06:43 AM

625 posts, read 902,800 times
What Pence needs to do is convince cabinet members to vote for the 25th amendment so the country can get back to some sense of normalcy & get things done in congress.

Old 10-12-2017, 07:47 AM

1,387 posts, read 1,071,112 times
Trump wants to turn standing for the national anthem into your personal endorsement of his own paranoid, ego-maniacal vision of himself. Nothing is brought more quickly to mind than 1970's images of dozens of smiling Chinese school children dancing about and waving their personal copies of Chairman Mao's Little Red Book.

This entire episode is a gigantic American disgrace.

Old 10-12-2017, 07:55 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,885,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
^^^ This.

The black players are trying to make a statement about the way they feel there is injustice how African-Americans are often treated & it gets turned around & completely misrepresented by Trump & Fox News into a "anti-American" gesture. Thereby now the players are dissing America & patriotism, not what they actually say they are doing & of course the Fox/Trump crowd are so easily led as we've seen this past year with other Twitter faux controversies.

The NFL makes it's Billion$ on the back of mostly black players & it should respect that. (They should also lose their special tax status unless that is to be given to all entertainers.)
I would love yo say it is just a Fox News thing but it isn't. My father is mostly Republican but not conservative yet he thinks it is a disgrace to the flag.

Old 10-12-2017, 08:10 AM

24,473 posts, read 17,211,031 times
It is amazing how many posters here blame Trump for this mess. Kapernick was kneeling before Trump was President and that caught on with many more taking a knee. It was viewed by many fans to be a protest against America even then.
What Trump did as he often does is he stirred the pot and suddenly it has become a players against Trump stance.

Pence does not have much in common with young black men and neither does Trump but if we consider the alternative would Hillary? Well she does carry that bottle of hot sauce in her purse but besides that...

The thing is the players want to be heard and I think it would go a long way towards race relations if Pence would sit down with them and listen and Trump was not allowed to respond.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates