Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2017, 05:00 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,821,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
Killers do get stoned and kill people. Sober people kill people all the time. I have been drunk thousands of nights over a 50 year period and drove on at least half of those nights. I never killed anyone, or even got a citation driving, and I never beat anyone up. I believe it's the person to blame. The substance doesn't matter. If you get violent or drive recklessly when you drink its not the drink, it's you.
That's the bottom line. People in our society are always looking for either an explanation as to why someone else did something evil to help them sleep at night or they are trying to find excuses to justify their own actions. Weed has never killed anyone, alcohol has never killed anyone just like guns have never killed anyone. I've used marijuana for over 25 years and daily for most of that time. I have had a steady job since I was 16, graduated college, have a great career and family, never been arrested, never been fired from a job or kicked out of school, never assaulted anyone, and I'm not hooked on meth, opiates etc and I don't even drink. You are either a jerk or you aren't
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2017, 03:15 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,276,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
You are spreading lies. There are no valid medical studies anywhere demonstrating cbd oil or anything related to cannabis cures cancer. There are anecdotes spread by snake oil salesman like there always have been. Pure Bull.
No...YOU are spreading lies...there is PLENTY of med studies and evidence to prove how amazing cannabis is....why it's sooooo good that the US has had a patent on it for years.
Read the patent and then tell me it's all snake oil
https://www.google.ca/patents/US6630507

Old 09-30-2017, 06:30 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,958,062 times
You can have a patent on anything whether it works or not. Show me any proof with blood tests and doctors reports that MJ cured cancer in a human being. There is none. If even one person had been cored by MJ it would have been on a website or a youtube or somewhere with proof. It's not. I can't convince you with logic. You can't convince me with opinions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
No...YOU are spreading lies...there is PLENTY of med studies and evidence to prove how amazing cannabis is....why it's sooooo good that the US has had a patent on it for years.
Read the patent and then tell me it's all snake oil
https://www.google.ca/patents/US6630507

Old 09-30-2017, 07:14 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,270,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
I don't recall a stoned driver killing anyone nor can I recall any stories of anyone being high beating someone up.
My car was hit from behind by a stoned driver, luckily I was not killed, speed was to low.

Here's a funny true story for those who think pot is not mind altering.
Movie director Richard Lester stated that when filming the Beatles movie "Help!"
he had to try to film as much as he could in the morning because by the afternoon
the Beatles were too stoned

And that's 60s pot, today's stuff is ten times stronger.

Old 09-30-2017, 08:31 PM

1,409 posts, read 1,156,982 times
I never did it before but last year my boyfriend forced me (screaming and threatening me to just eat it) to eat a pot brownie-- it resulted in me having a trip that after a couple hours ended me in the ER--this was bought at a licensed dispensary. I thought pot makes you sleepy and relaxed, this pot brownie made my pulse go to such a high rate the paramedic said it was 160. Scarier still, I thought a store across a crowded highway was fascinating (don't know why it just was fascinating under the influence of that brownie and made the store something I had to get to)...with no thought at all to the busy two lanes of traffic at 45 mph, I stepped off the curb and said I need to go here, and started taking a few steps out, my boyfriend pulled me back by the jacket-- it was purely luck I wasn't killed. No awareness of the danger whatsoever, was like a little kid. At the hospital I asked the nurse "why everyone was dressed up like doctors and nurses"lol!! I asked her "is this something like a hospital?" She looked concerned and explained patiently "This IS a hospital "--- I thought it was a warehouse fixed up to look like one and they were shooting a movie. Wow. Then from the ER I called my brother and explained that I somehow ended up in a place that's "something like a hospital, but that it's really not- it's fake- that people were dressed as doctors and nurses so they could shoot a movie.
Per my boyfriend and brother after the fact- I'm sure it was entertaining to the nurses

Old 09-30-2017, 08:36 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,538,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
That's the bottom line. People in our society are always looking for either an explanation as to why someone else did something evil to help them sleep at night or they are trying to find excuses to justify their own actions. Weed has never killed anyone, alcohol has never killed anyone just like guns have never killed anyone. I've used marijuana for over 25 years and daily for most of that time. I have had a steady job since I was 16, graduated college, have a great career and family, never been arrested, never been fired from a job or kicked out of school, never assaulted anyone, and I'm not hooked on meth, opiates etc and I don't even drink. You are either a jerk or you aren't
yes, but that doesn't give a reason for legalizing it...

outside of the argument that people should be free to do what they want, but well, they aren't free, they are part of society

like how most people can not run wild naked down the street even though it doesn't "harm" anyone and they should have the freedom to not wear clothes

or we have the amendment to have guns, but there are restrictions on that too

so why should people accept usable of weed in any and all occasions? I can agree to it in controlled instances if it is for something like medical treatment but why open it up to the general public?

Old 09-30-2017, 09:19 PM

3,129 posts, read 1,331,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
yes, but that doesn't give a reason for legalizing it...

outside of the argument that people should be free to do what they want, but well, they aren't free, they are part of society

like how most people can not run wild naked down the street even though it doesn't "harm" anyone and they should have the freedom to not wear clothes

or we have the amendment to have guns, but there are restrictions on that too

so why should people accept usable of weed in any and all occasions? I can agree to it in controlled instances if it is for something like medical treatment but why open it up to the general public?
Why are the reasons I gave you earlier in this thread so easily ignored by you? Do you really think the carnage detailed below doesn't matter and doesn't damage society?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
Because prohibition doesn't work. It never worked for alcohol (it caused more problems than it solved), it isn't working for cannabis (it is for sale in every neighborhood school in the country), and it never will work (despite a trillion dollars wasted, it is just as available now as it ever has been in the last 78 years).

More evidence that prohibition is extremely harmful:

All the lives that are lost fighting it.
All the lives and careers ruined because of draconian punishments for even possessing it.
All the families torn apart by children being stripped away from their parents because a small amount was found in the home.
All the houses and cars forfeited from normal, everyday citizens, and the law enforcement corruption which it breeds.
All the funding to south of the border drug cartels that prohibition funnels to them.
All of the glamour that cannabis holds to kids because of its illegality. That causes it to be for sale in your neighborhood school right now, for goodness sake. Illegal alcohol is not for sale in your neighborhood school.

I could go on and on about the ills to society that prohibition directly causes. It all goes away once prohibition goes away.

Old 10-01-2017, 12:14 AM

21,539 posts, read 8,722,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mondayafternoons View Post
I never did it before but last year my boyfriend forced me (screaming and threatening me to just eat it) to eat a pot brownie-- it resulted in me having a trip that after a couple hours ended me in the ER--this was bought at a licensed dispensary. I thought pot makes you sleepy and relaxed, this pot brownie made my pulse go to such a high rate the paramedic said it was 160. Scarier still, I thought a store across a crowded highway was fascinating (don't know why it just was fascinating under the influence of that brownie and made the store something I had to get to)...with no thought at all to the busy two lanes of traffic at 45 mph, I stepped off the curb and said I need to go here, and started taking a few steps out, my boyfriend pulled me back by the jacket-- it was purely luck I wasn't killed. No awareness of the danger whatsoever, was like a little kid. At the hospital I asked the nurse "why everyone was dressed up like doctors and nurses"lol!! I asked her "is this something like a hospital?" She looked concerned and explained patiently "This IS a hospital "--- I thought it was a warehouse fixed up to look like one and they were shooting a movie. Wow. Then from the ER I called my brother and explained that I somehow ended up in a place that's "something like a hospital, but that it's really not- it's fake- that people were dressed as doctors and nurses so they could shoot a movie.
Per my boyfriend and brother after the fact- I'm sure it was entertaining to the nurses
I am sorry that this happened to you, mondayafternoons. It was wrong for your boyfriend to force you to eat a cannabis brownie, especially if it was your first time. That was an irresponsible thing to do. Edibles are stronger than smoked cannabis, and the effects can be more intense and last longer. It can take as long as two hours for the effect to kick in, so some newbies make the mistake of taking more when they don't feel the high right away.

Overdosing on cannabis won't kill you, but as you discovered, but it is not without risks. The experience itself can be quite unpleasant. And if you've taken so much that your judgment is impaired, you are at risk of putting yourself in dangerous situations such as stepping off curbs into traffic.

One benefit of legalization, in my opinion, is that reliable, scientifically-verified information would become available to the public once pot is out in the open. This would make it easier for people to educate themselves about the drug and learn how to use it safely and responsibly.

Last edited by Bayarea4; 10-01-2017 at 12:15 AM.. Reason: clarity

Old 10-01-2017, 03:28 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,240,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
This is a very unsurprising post. At least this LEO admits that there is no evidence or facts that can change his closed mind.

He saw the behavior of the "Oh wow man" kids, and automatically assumed it's the cannabis causing them to act that way instead of the fact that they were STUPID kids to begin with.

Mr. LEO, I am going to assume you have not read this entire thread, because if you have and you still write "But making it legal for anyone to smoke is something I don't believe I can be convinced of", then you are quite hopeless, and possibly even corrupt. I believe the possibility exists that you cannot be "convinced" not because of the reasons you stated, but because it earns you a living.

In case you missed it earlier, I would like you to know that despite your best efforts I have been using it daily for over 45 years. I am almost 61 and lead a great life. I am sorry you were not able to track me down and ruin my life before it became legal in Colorado.

If you are willing, please check out L.E.A.P. (Law Enforcement Against Prohibition) and provide us with your reaction to that organization's opinion on the matter.

Corrupt? LOL. I gave you my perspective and contrary to your closed mind it's a valid perspective. I've observed an ugly side of life where drugs have marred/ruined/killed so many people that my point of view is something I have a right to keep, no matter how "corrupt" you may think I might be.

Old 10-01-2017, 03:31 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,240,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 46H View Post
So is marijuana a gateway drug because once you use marijuana, you need to chase a different high - or - is it a gateway drug because the illegal seller will sell you anything - ecstasy, coke, heroin, etc.? If you purchase marijuana legally, you will never be offered anything else. The gateway is the illegal seller with motivation to sell you other drugs. When you drink alcohol, do you feel the need to chase a different high like cocaine or heroin? If you eliminate the contact with the illegal seller, there is a good chance you will eliminate the gateway.

I believe what I put in bold may be accurate, for at least a number of users. But your overall post may certainly be valid as well. I really don't know what the best answer might be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates