Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2017, 06:14 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,570,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
I'm not the typical millenial.
Yeah you are. You've consumed too much media if you think you're an exception. Millennials have been fighting our wars, policing our streets, fighting our fires, raising families, building our country. I know the media like to paint millennials with a narcissistic brush, and it's sad a lot of people like yourself are buying it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2017, 09:07 AM

24,574 posts, read 18,485,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Cravings View Post
Yeah you are. You've consumed too much media if you think you're an exception. Millennials have been fighting our wars, policing our streets, fighting our fires, raising families, building our country. I know the media like to paint millennials with a narcissistic brush, and it's sad a lot of people like yourself are buying it.
Millennials will rule the world just like the generations before them always did. The top-5% are doing really well just like previous generations. The difference is that the internet has given visibility to those not in the top-5%.

Old 10-10-2017, 11:51 AM

23 posts, read 17,940 times
These threads about "Millennials" or "Progressives" ruining society always make me think of this (starting at 0:40):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zj_gwCTJAq0

The complaints about the mentally ill not being imprisoned in asylums are interesting. There was quite a bit of abuse in insane asylums before de-institutionalization.

Abandoned Home for the Abandoned: Forest Haven Asylum | Sometimes Interesting

Forest Haven in Maryland was one of the most notorious institutions. Multiple patients died while being force fed. A 9-year-old boy had all of his teeth knocked out shorty after being interned there. I have heard they apparently pulled patient's teeth out to prevent them from biting. Forest Haven may have been worse than most asylums but there was abuse at many of them.

One of the issues that led to the abuse and terrible conditions in asylums was that typically, they would quickly become overcrowded. They were often understaffed and overcrowded and patients couldn't get proper care as a result. That issue might have been alleviated with increased funding to expand asylums and hire more staff, but of course most of society doesn't care about the mentally ill, and so would be loath to spend more tax money on such things. And when most of the mentally disabled were shut away in asylums it was easy for society to ignore.

Today, of course, I don't know that the way we deal with the mentally ill is much better. Certainly there were quite a few people locked in asylums who didn't need to be there, and are much better off in community settings like group homes. However it is well known that many with mental disabilities end up homeless. And many end up constantly in and out of jails and prisons, which could be said to have replaced asylums to a certain extent.

Perhaps for these people a properly staffed and run asylum would be a better option. Certainly being homeless of in Jail or Prison is not conducive to good mental health, and likely makes one's mental issues worse; also with how much rape and violence there is in prisons the mentally ill probably make excellent targets for rape, violence, and general cruelty from the rest of the prisoners. I suspect most Correctional Officers are not necessarily trained to deal with the mentally disabled either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Cravings View Post

Also, it is interesting to note that one of the common stereotypes of millennials is that they all think they're special. I have noticed quite a few millennials who jump on the millennial hate bandwagon and complain about the rest of their generation while claiming to be the exception, but in doing so they ironically embody this stereotype by claiming to be special.

Personally, I doubt that Millennials are really much different from other generations. But I guess we do make a convenient scapegoat for all of society's ills.

Old 10-10-2017, 01:14 PM

35,511 posts, read 17,414,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
I'm sorry but what does gay marriage and LGBT equality have to do with anything??

I don't see what can be more American than allowing two men to marry. Aren't we all about freedom?
It's about weakening the family unit. Marriage has a primary reason; to ensure an orderly process for creating and raising children. If forms of couples that can't possibly create children are thrown into the mix it's a dilution. As for same-sex couples adopting children, I don't believe in experimenting with the psychological well-being of children for the sake of making a point.

Old 10-10-2017, 01:29 PM

7,954 posts, read 8,248,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
It's about weakening the family unit. Marriage has a primary reason; to ensure an orderly process for creating and raising children. If forms of couples that can't possibly create children are thrown into the mix it's a dilution. As for same-sex couples adopting children, I don't believe in experimenting with the psychological well-being of children for the sake of making a point.
You are really making a huge assumption if you believe this is why Same-sex couples adopt children. An assumption perhaps rooted in some form of prejudice.

Quite frankly many of your views of millennials and 60's war protesters as well gay couples are cynical in general. Especially given the fact that at best opinions from the vets who served in the war themselves are split as to whether not is was justified.

Bob Muller, A Veteran Speaks--Against the War

Old 10-10-2017, 01:43 PM

35,511 posts, read 17,414,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
You are really making a huge assumption if you believe this is why Same-sex couples adopt children. An assumption perhaps rooted in some form of prejudice.

Quite frankly many of your views of millennials and 60's war protesters as well gay couples are cynical in general. Especially given the fact that at best opinions from the vets who served in the war themselves are split as to whether not is was justified.

Bob Muller, A Veteran Speaks--Against the War
I am not sure if you're addressing same-sex couple adoption or the Vietnam War.

As far as the former I believe that our experiment with widespread broken homes and single-parent families has been an abject failure. I don't know why we'd want to go further down this road.

As for the latter I never said I was for the war. In fact I don't think we should ever go into a war we don't plan on winning. I have admittedly posted that the war had some value in stalling the Communist's advance until countries as Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand and Indonesia to some extent stabilized themselves after the end of the Japanese WW II juggernaut. But please don't put words in my mouth. I was not and am not pro-war.

Old 10-10-2017, 01:50 PM

7,954 posts, read 8,248,943 times
Quote:

As far as the former I believe that our experiment with widespread broken homes and single-parent families has been an abject failure. I don't know why we'd want to go further down this road.
I'm not sure how allowing same sex couples to marry and adopt is just down the road from broken homes and single parent families.

And while you say you are not canonizing the past you seem to believe that the marriages of yesteryear weren't plagued by issues such as domestic violence and infidelity.

What would you tell someone who is married to a cheater or abuser? Suck it up and get over it?

Old 10-10-2017, 01:58 PM

51,424 posts, read 24,782,225 times
Quote:
I'd agree with you...if roughly half the straight marriages in this country didn't end in divorce. But since you feel that the strong family unit is what ensures an orderly process for creating and raising children, then I assume that you believe that children should be taken away from parents who divorce since that makes a negative environment, thus harming the well-being of children.

Old 10-10-2017, 03:11 PM

841 posts, read 1,130,391 times
I recall hearing about kids who had only their mother around to raise them. The father was absent, either in jail or dead. They lived in the poorest neighborhoods. We were told these kids in single parent homes would not fare very well.

Today we see far more young women getting pregnant some of whom are from middle class families. The fathers aren't around or won't stay until the kid is 18. Girls need a strong father in their life. Boys need that too. So what will happen years down the road when all these kids are adults? I don't see them all being productive citizens and drug free or without mental issues that effect their lives.

We have to get away from politically identifying ourselves and fix these issues.

Old 10-10-2017, 03:36 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,570,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyrallnamestaken View Post
Today we see far more young women getting pregnant some of whom are from middle class families.

"Far more"?

Compared to what?

Do you have anything to back up this claim?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates