Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2017, 10:50 AM

50,765 posts, read 24,261,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
This is a strange to question to ask.

Do you see Bill Gates as a WHITE man?

How about Donald Trump? Do you see him as a WHITE man?

See how silly that sounds?

I guess if you are a BLACK man, you have to be MORE THAN JUST A BLACK MAN and practically transcend your race, in order to be accepted and considered successful or admirable like white men, huh?
I don't think it sounds silly at all when you consider that of the 10 richest men in the world, none are Black. Even if you look at the 10 richest men in Africa, only 2 are Black! Why is that? Opportunities? If so, I think it's important.

American presidents: 1 non-White out of 45, 0 women out of 45. Gee, is there anything wrong with that picture if this is a nation of equal opportunity?

Old 10-27-2017, 11:25 AM

307 posts, read 223,989 times
Default It's not always black & white :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Do you see Michael Jordan as a black man or as Michael Jordan?

Sounds like a dumb question, but this is the point I'm making
If I ran into Michael Jordan with a friend and he told me
"Who? the black guy?"

I know for a fact I would say
"Black guy? That's f..... Michael Jordan"

My point is that at least for me, I don't see Jordan as "a black guy" same way I don't see him as "a skinny tall guy" ..... it's freaking Michael Jordan.
I see Michael Jordan as a great athlete and great person. I was watching something the other night and was totally color-blind to the person. It was much later that it even dawned on me the person was black (something like that - in other words, that is NOT the first thing I think of).

It's not a dumb question at all. I'm glad you asked. I hope we can all reach a point (even in this caustic environment) where we see through racial/color divides.

Old 10-27-2017, 11:30 AM

307 posts, read 223,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I don't think it sounds silly at all when you consider that of the 10 richest men in the world, none are Black. Even if you look at the 10 richest men in Africa, only 2 are Black! Why is that? Opportunities? If so, I think it's important.

American presidents: 1 non-White out of 45, 0 women out of 45. Gee, is there anything wrong with that picture if this is a nation of equal opportunity?
This is interesting, too. It never would dawn on me to see Gates as anything but a bad promoter of Windows (we laughed at his demos because they didn't work). Yep. At the DNC, there was a lovely-haunting posting of all Presidents that ended with Obama. That's when I applauded at home.

We're in an environment that's heating up with racism and bigotry. It's not an easy time to change but I hope to see some adjustments despite lack of support from whatever our government is becoming. Now people of any background not white are being discriminated against and in a very dangerous way. Hope this can change.

Old 10-27-2017, 12:57 PM

9,399 posts, read 11,147,212 times
I don't see him that often.

Old 10-27-2017, 01:40 PM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
I see him as Michael Jordan. But the fact that he is black will always be ever-present.

Old 10-27-2017, 01:49 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
When I see Michael Jordan, I see Michael Jordan. Which is to say I see a really tall, bald, black guy who is a legendary athlete.

So to answer the question, yes.

Old 10-27-2017, 01:50 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,557,871 times
Brown.

Old 10-27-2017, 02:20 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,096,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I cannot think of any other fashion trend that stands the test of time like the jordan brand.
Gucci
Prada
Chanel
Christian Dior
Louis Vuitton
Hermes
Coach
Balenciaga
Valentino
Calvin Klein
Ralph Lauren
Burberry
Levis

To name a few.

Old 10-27-2017, 02:33 PM

4,026 posts, read 2,711,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Do you see Michael Jordan as a black man or as Michael Jordan?

Sounds like a dumb question, but this is the point I'm making
If I ran into Michael Jordan with a friend and he told me
"Who? the black guy?"

I know for a fact I would say
"Black guy? That's f..... Michael Jordan"

My point is that at least for me, I don't see Jordan as "a black guy" same way I don't see him as "a skinny tall guy" ..... it's freaking Michael Jordan.

I think with any celebrity, their celebrity status tends to overshadow a lot of other things about them, mainly because so many people recognize them and hear a lot about them.....but that doesn't mean they escape certain things entirely.

I know I had a discussion in a similar vein with somebody who was annoyed that President Obama was always identified as black, even though he's actually biracial and was raised by his white mother and her family. I pointed out to this person, though, that if you stripped away the "President of the United States" title, and he was just Barack Obama, everyday guy on the street in an everyday job and you (general you) were asked to describe him in passing, then likely the first thing you would probably say was, "Well, he's a black guy." You wouldn't comment on him actually being half-white, because you wouldn't really know for certain. You might *guess*, but you wouldn't give a description as, "A black guy who might have white ancestry."

Old 10-27-2017, 03:03 PM

806 posts, read 876,366 times
Since I'm not a fan of NBA basketball , I first see him as a black man . No big deal . I'm the least star struck person you will ever meet . Michael Jordan , ok , whatever .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates