Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2017, 04:31 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,994,146 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
This is a strange to question to ask.

Do you see Bill Gates as a WHITE man?

How about Donald Trump? Do you see him as a WHITE man?

See how silly that sounds?

I guess if you are a BLACK man, you have to be MORE THAN JUST A BLACK MAN and practically transcend your race, in order to be accepted and considered successful or admirable like white men, huh?
Look at it this way.. If Bill Gates was in a crowd surrounded by nothing but black people, wouldn't you just say to someone not knowing who Bill Gates is, "he's the white guy over there"? Some people are trying to beat around the bush and say that calling someone by the color of their skin is derogatory when really it is nothing but being descriptive. You find the one thing that makes it easy to describe. If you have a single red head in a crowd of blondes and brunettes, you say, she is the red haired lady. Single tall person in a sea of short people, you say, he/she is the tall person over there.

Old 10-27-2017, 05:02 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,507,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Do you see Michael Jordan as a black man or as Michael Jordan?

Sounds like a dumb question, but this is the point I'm making
If I ran into Michael Jordan with a friend and he told me
"Who? the black guy?"

I know for a fact I would say
"Black guy? That's f..... Michael Jordan"

My point is that at least for me, I don't see Jordan as "a black guy" same way I don't see him as "a skinny tall guy" ..... it's freaking Michael Jordan.
You cognitively know and understand that MJ is Black. Yet you don't see him as a Black man.

The real question is how you see or define Black men? Somehow MJ being a somewhat admirable man doesn't translate into being "Black" to you.

Old 10-27-2017, 05:02 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,896,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.JT View Post
So again, you're not surprised that anybody is a physics professor UNLESS he or she is BLACK.

And you're comparing being black to a disability? Further, in other parts of the world, there are schools where physics teachers are NOTHING but black.
My answer to my physics teacher was "I would have been surprised by anyone who wasn't old, white, or male."

He could just as easily have said "woman" or "young" instead of "black" and the inference would have been the same - that there are so few physics teachers that aren't old white males.

Seriously, how many young women, white, black or otherwise, do you see teaching physics?

Old 10-27-2017, 07:02 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
The real question is how you see or define Black men? Somehow MJ being a somewhat admirable man doesn't translate into being "Black" to you.
A black man is a person with dark skin

Here's a good question for you:
Are people from India black? If not, why not? They are just as black as people in Africa

Old 10-28-2017, 05:31 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,528,885 times
Honestly I would not recognize Michael Jordan if I saw him walk past me. I have a vague notion of what I “think” he looks like. But then, I routinely fail to recognize people I have known for years, regardless of skin color. If I run into someone I know but they are in an environment I don,t expect them to be, e.g., running into a co-worker at a restaurant, inevitably I struggle with identifying who they are. It can be embarrassing but happens somewhat frequently. Recently was in a store and saw a co-worker who happens to be black and who frequently changes hair styles very drastically from one day to the next. One day her hair will be gray and braided, the next day black and straight. I was amazed that from a distance in the store I immediately recognized her. But when I thought about it afterward, what I recognized was the manner in which she carried herself, the way she held her head up, her manner of walking, not her face! Faces are hard for me, don,t know why.

Old 10-28-2017, 09:23 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,454,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Do you see Michael Jordan as a black man or as Michael Jordan?

Sounds like a dumb question, but this is the point I'm making
If I ran into Michael Jordan with a friend and he told me
"Who? the black guy?"

I know for a fact I would say
"Black guy? That's f..... Michael Jordan"

My point is that at least for me, I don't see Jordan as "a black guy" same way I don't see him as "a skinny tall guy" ..... it's freaking Michael Jordan.
Interesting. So; how do you see everyone else who is Black?

Old 10-28-2017, 10:41 AM

4,862 posts, read 7,963,487 times
Here's another way of considering the question. Whatever your race are you your race or a person of your race? People have individual names and I have yet to see a tombstone with race mentioned.

Old 10-28-2017, 11:20 AM

50,822 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltovegas View Post
Here's another way of considering the question. Whatever your race are you your race or a person of your race? People have individual names and I have yet to see a tombstone with race mentioned.
Huh?

Old 10-28-2017, 11:30 AM

50,822 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Maybe the OP is asking a different question than I think he is, but I'll ask a slightly different question.

Let's say you're a White professional, doesn't really matter which one, and you're going to a seminar about that profession. The first morning you walk into the hotel meeting room and there's one group of about 18 Black men standing over to the left of the refreshment table socializing, and a group of about the same size to the right of the refreshment table that are all White. You don't know any of them. Which group will you migrate into?

Old 10-28-2017, 11:51 AM

4,952 posts, read 3,055,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Maybe the OP is asking a different question than I think he is, but I'll ask a slightly different question.

Let's say you're a White professional, doesn't really matter which one, and you're going to a seminar about that profession. The first morning you walk into the hotel meeting room and there's one group of about 18 Black men standing over to the left of the refreshment table socializing, and a group of about the same size to the right of the refreshment table that are all White. You don't know any of them. Which group will you migrate into?
I'd leave the seminar.
Racism is based upon ignorance, and this country is getting dumber.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates