Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2017, 08:48 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,111,286 times

Advertisements

I've seen Michael Jordan and I've even met him.

It would never occur to me to describe him as a black man.

I would describe him as one of the greatest athletes of all time.

I would describe him as a genius businessman.

I would describe him as one of the most charitable people on the planet.

Old 10-26-2017, 09:08 PM

973 posts, read 915,539 times
This is an interesting question. I wouldn't see MJ as a black man first — I'd see him as MJ first, and black man 2nd.

Old 10-26-2017, 09:15 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,545,770 times
To me he's Michael Jordan and he is a black man.

That's just reality. Same as I am a white man, it is the most immediate and distinct visual description of anybody. Male/female/black/white/asiatic/middle-eastern/native-American/fat/thin/tall/short/hairy/bald/has all four major extremities attached/giant octopus/etc.

I do not, however, see him as a black man first because I know who he is. If I didn't, I would naturally identify him on first glance as a black man.

Old 10-26-2017, 11:28 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,291,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
I do not, however, see him as a black man first because I know who he is. If I didn't, I would naturally identify him on first glance as a black man.
Interesting point,
since i grew up in a different country I see things a little different

Color, height, size, face shape, clothing, etc. .... I put the same value to all of them
I don't start with: "what color is that person?"

Old 10-27-2017, 04:13 AM

7,029 posts, read 4,898,284 times
Michael Jordan is Michael Jordan.

Our physics teacher asked me once if I had been surprised to see a black physics teacher when I walked into the class the first time. I told him I would have been surprised by anyone who wasn't old, white, or male.

But I understood the question he was asking and my answer to him was, "First, I saw you as the black physics teacher when I came to class. But after a week or two, you were just Tim, our physics teacher." And it's true. I didn't see him as black, but I just recognized him as Tim. He thanked me and it took me years to understand why.

This is a very interesting question I've always wondered about, though. I see myself as a person before I see myself as a woman or as being white. I wonder whether black people can see themselves as a person first before seeing themselves as black, or if that is impossible because of living in a country where the majority of people are white.

Oprah had a young black woman on her show once who said she didn't care about being black because she was just who she was. There were other black women on the show who then told her that she had to act black and to quit acting white and denying her race. It made me realize that who you are is how you see yourself, but I still don't know how hard it is to see yourself as one thing when everywhere you go, others see you as something different.

I get called a feminist (not in a good way) and I get reminded fairly often of how little people think of me as a woman, especially one who isn't married or a homemaker. But I still don't think that qualifies me to understand how an African American who thinks of himself as a person is affected when others see him as less than how he sees himself, and how much that must hurt.

Old 10-27-2017, 04:48 AM

1,047 posts, read 726,727 times
Default reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Do you see Michael Jordan as a black man or as Michael Jordan?

Sounds like a dumb question, but this is the point I'm making
If I ran into Michael Jordan with a friend and he told me
"Who? the black guy?"

I know for a fact I would say
"Black guy? That's f..... Michael Jordan"

My point is that at least for me, I don't see Jordan as "a black guy" same way I don't see him as "a skinny tall guy" ..... it's freaking Michael Jordan.
You are right, he transcends all the B.S. and is just MICHAEL JORDAN. I have asked others that did very well in the NBA what it was like sitting in the room with him and they humbly told me "He didn't even seem human. He was the greatest of all time and I felt small." This is from guys with huge egos. So nice their love of the game put them in a place like that when in a room with Jordan.

Old 10-27-2017, 04:57 AM

1,047 posts, read 726,727 times
Default reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
I see him as the greatest basketball player of all time and perhaps the greatest athlete of our generation. He broke the mold when it came to a personality and product representation among athletes. The fact that he is black really never crosses my mind other than I think he can be a great role model for today's black youth population. I far admire him over Tiger Woods, a Kardashian klan, or Lebron.
Agree. And that hurt b/c I do love Tiger but he was not discrete enough. Kardashians seems to have sold their souls to Satanism and all their men do poorly when w them or after.

Old 10-27-2017, 06:31 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,603,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Michael Jordan of the Chicago Bulls was the best basketball player on the planet. "Michael Jordan" of 2017 is basically marketing virtual reality. I do my best to not confuse the two.
You are definitely right about that! Its strange to see Jordan shoes still popular among young people, since he hasnt even played the game since many of them were born!!

I cannot think of any other fashion trend that stands the test of time like the jordan brand.

Old 10-27-2017, 06:54 AM

626 posts, read 903,334 times
Interesting discussion. I was born and raised in Jamaica and just saw myself as female. I’ve never had to fill out forms to identify my race until I came to the US, which I found ridiculous. Especially when you come from a country where the motto is “Out of Many One People”. No one has ever asked me to identify with one group or another. What the heck is African American, Caucasian, Hispanic not white, Pacific Islander etc? I’m Jamaican dammit!!

After living in the US for the majority of my life, I automatically identify as a Black woman. I'm also guilty of passing on this thought process to my nephews when I encouraged them to work hard. The first thing I say is you are a BLACK male born in America.

I think it has to do with the message being passed down in society – history to present day. When you grow with the belief that you are perceived a certain way – especially if negative, you (sometimes unknowingly) aspire to change that perception.

I believe that in the US people see me as a Black female and have never embraced the possibility that others may see me as a Female who happens to be black.

Last edited by mistym; 10-27-2017 at 07:03 AM..

Old 10-27-2017, 07:46 AM

1,073 posts, read 2,095,314 times
Someone mentioned Larry Byrd. What do you think of him when you first see him? He's a white man? A tall white man? An old white man? Larry Byrd? Or just a man?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates