Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2018, 06:05 PM

1,645 posts, read 1,214,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
I think that if parents were automatically charged with felonies when their kids bring guns to school and shoot other kids, it would go a long way toward reducing this problem.

Parents are the responsible parties in this situation. I don't understand why "so sorry" "what a tragedy" and "wherever did he find the gun?" is good enough for murder???

Anyone know why?
If the parents have taken the steps to get a gun safe, keep the keys or combination to that gun safe secure; and the child still find a way to get ahold of their firearm, then I would not change the parents with any charges as it was not there fault.

However if the parents just leave a firearm lying around on a table or in a nightstand, then the parents should be changed with improper handling and storage of a firearm.

This is also presuming that the firearm that was used in commission of a crime actually belongs to one of the parents in the first place. If someone how the child got the firearm off of the street/black market; how should the parents be held responsible for the child's actions when the parents were not aware that the child in question even had access to a firearm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2018, 06:59 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,862,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Schools need to teach gun safety as offered by the NRA. If kids were really a concern, parents would demand schools teach kids about guns as they do with drugs, health, driver's ed and fire safety.
How on earth would this prevent school shootings? Like the kids going to think, "Oh, wait, I'm NOT supposed to point a gun at a person? Whoops, guess that means I can't murder the entire Senior class tomorrow!"

Old 02-01-2018, 07:41 PM

10,351 posts, read 8,569,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
How on earth would this prevent school shootings? Like the kids going to think, "Oh, wait, I'm NOT supposed to point a gun at a person? Whoops, guess that means I can't murder the entire Senior class tomorrow!"
Totally agree. it's not so much gun accidents as much as kids using guns with the intent to kill.

Old 02-01-2018, 08:29 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:
I think that if parents were automatically charged with felonies when their kids bring guns to school and shoot other kids, it would go a long way toward reducing this problem.

Parents are the responsible parties in this situation. I don't understand why "so sorry" "what a tragedy" and "wherever did he find the gun?" is good enough for murder???

Anyone know why?
Federal law bars anyone under the age of 18 from possessing a handgun and also from possessing ammunition for a handgun.

Accordingly, when handguns are used in school shootings, the appropriate action is to charge the parents with aiding and abetting, complicity and also as accessories before and during the fact.

That will force parents with handguns to ensure they are properly secured, and that minors do not have access to either handguns or ammunition for handguns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Probably because most people don’t think the parents are automatically responsible. And rightfully so.
Most people are stupid and totally ignorant of the law.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
To the OP: Because you ought to be charged with something you decide to do, not something that somebody else decides to do.
See State and federal laws pertaining to aiding and abetting, complicity, conspiracy and accessory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
It would reduce school shootings by forcing parents to secure their handguns and ammunition.

Handguns may be easily secreted on the person or in bags or back-packs, but rifles and shot-guns are very difficult to conceal, possibly providing sufficient early warning for students to flee to safety.

Old 02-01-2018, 09:49 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,862,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
It would reduce school shootings by forcing parents to secure their handguns and ammunition.
Kids taking a gun safety course does not force parents to secure handguns and ammunition. That's magical thinking.

Old 02-01-2018, 11:02 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,483,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
To the OP: Because you ought to be charged with something you decide to do, not something that somebody else decides to do.
I agree 100%.

Old 02-02-2018, 01:18 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,140,056 times
Arresting families for the crime committed by one person?

Sounds very medieval and North Korea.

Old 02-02-2018, 05:54 AM

9,290 posts, read 14,905,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Federal law bars anyone under the age of 18 from possessing a handgun and also from possessing ammunition for a handgun.

Accordingly, when handguns are used in school shootings, the appropriate action is to charge the parents with aiding and abetting, complicity and also as accessories before and during the fact.

That will force parents with handguns to ensure they are properly secured, and that minors do not have access to either handguns or ammunition for handguns.

Most people are stupid and totally ignorant of the law.

See State and federal laws pertaining to aiding and abetting, complicity, conspiracy and accessory.

Handguns may be easily secreted on the person or in bags or back-packs, but rifles and shot-guns are very difficult to conceal, possibly providing sufficient early warning for students to flee to safety.
Good answer. I think if there are not sufficient laws in place on this, we need to strengthen them. A lot of the posters on here still don't seem to get that parents are responsible for their children's actions.

Anything less is allowing kids to get away with murder. If you don't know that your child is bringing a loaded gun to class, you are a grossly negligent parent.

Old 02-02-2018, 06:38 AM

32,940 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:

Anyone know why?
Have you ever had to manage a teenager?

Old 02-02-2018, 06:53 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,472,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Probably because many kids don't have parent"S" and it would demonstrate bias.

that would be a reasonable strategy if situations were evaluated individually. Laws are rarely written intelligently. they become all or nothing at all computer generated edit checks tolerating too many false positives. Wild ass kid hanging with gangs not close to parent presents a problem.

Guns in home need to be in a safe.

Schools need to teach gun safety as offered by the NRA. If kids were really a concern, parents would demand schools teach kids about guns as they do with drugs, health, driver's ed and fire safety.

Teach what a kid should do if his bud pulls out a gun when at home.
Teaching gun safety at school is nothing more than an attempt to generate new customers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates