Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Could mass killings in the US ever be greatly reduced?
No, I don't believe they can (therefore I will not post in this thread) 23 18.25%
Yes, with additional gun control (I have ideas I will post) 18 14.29%
Yes, by addressing issues other than guns (I have ideas I will post) 28 22.22%
Yes, by addressing both guns and other issues (I have ideas I will post) 37 29.37%
Yes, but I have no ideas to post here. 10 7.94%
Yes, but the cost to individual rights is too high, so I favor no changes. 10 7.94%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2018, 10:25 AM

35,064 posts, read 17,014,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiaLia View Post
That could work. And at a secure school adults would stand at the entrance to monitor the traffic. Especially if there's a metal detector right inside the entrance.
People need some perspective. While life is valuable is it worth tying every school and business into knots over a very low number of deaths? We need reporting and care for people who need it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2018, 11:42 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,476,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movedintime View Post
I would hate to see the results of anti-gun people trying to protect this country.
If your only definition of "protect" is spraying bullets onto a field against physical threats, then perhaps not.
If we include other ways.. they volunteer in their community, they make strides to improve laws, get projects going that benefit society, and make sure people's liberties aren't being trampled on. (Yes, there other ones besides the 2nd Amendment... free speech, right to a trial, etc.).
Some of these folks included groups that forced the tobacco industry to acknowledge that cigarettes are a product that if used correctly, CAN kill you. Important to note that tobacco products weren't completely banned. You can still smoke them, but you need to be of age, warnings are put on them, and they stopped advertising to children. They also showed how idiotic it was for the CEO of Phillip Moores to say that due to cigarette smoking, giving birth to underweight babies was a good thing. Guns won't work against these guys. They're not a foreign threat. It's a bit amusing how people are all riled up about the likes of ISIS when there are plenty of bad things going on in US soil.

Old 03-02-2018, 11:43 AM

35,064 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Reagan...not Carter.
Wrong.

CARTER! Democrats in the 70's began closing the mental hospitals. 1976-77 to be exact. Carter gave them the go ahead. Reagan had no capacity to do anything aboiut it, one way or another. Don't believe everything you read on Yahoo, et al.
The devil is in how those laws are construed by the health facilities, the doctors and the courts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
I don't think it should be easy to get someone committed - the rule now is you have to be a danger to yourself or others.... Reagan closed down these facilities which had become warehouses people never got out of. And he messed up by not making provisions for the community services for all the people released. REAGAN.
In former days, the clown that shot up the school the other day would have been committed (long ago) by any number of witnesses to his psychotic behavior. Seen by a psychiatrist or two, he'd a surely been locked up - probly for a long time. And yes...some schizos don't respond to antipsychotics and yes...it's a lifetime thing. Lotsa things in real life aren't pretty. That's just the way it is.
Not only Reagan, Carter or anyone at the Federal level. The process of de-institutionalization started in the late 1960's and early 1970's. De-institutionalization was a well-intentioned program. It was supposed to convert inhumane and, for the patient ineffective confinement into treatment in the community. This April 2, 1972 article, which I remembered reading, The Patients Can Walk Out At Any Time at Bronx State Mental Hospital (link) made the case for de-institutionalization. Unfortunately, few were as motivated as Israel Zwerling, and most looked at the process as a way of saving money.

Community facilities are not cheap and are often resisted on NIMBY grounds. Also the “shizos” and other mentally ill people often go off their meds.

Last edited by jbgusa; 03-02-2018 at 11:55 AM..

Old 03-02-2018, 12:13 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,476,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyAMG View Post
On Facebook after the shooting in Florida, I noticed that my extreme right friends would post the "33 killed in knife attack in China" event that happened in 2014 and would always have something clever to say like "Knifes are dangerous, I think we need to get rid of all of our knifes."

This was expected but it shows a bigger issue. No matter how many people die, how many children are murdered, how many innocent concert goers are mowed down. It will always come back to the argument that people are responsible for the violence not the guns. Which is true... for the most part. The problem is the efficiency of guns versus other means.
This is why driving cars used to be a right, and is now a privilege. They realized it being the former didn't work, so they had to have regulations and licensing behind it. Makes sense... you have a 2,000 pound vehicle that you'd better be in control of. Vehicles do plenty of damage as they kill/injure people, wreck homes and businesses, etc., but at least they're being regulated much better than guns.

Old 03-02-2018, 12:39 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,935,359 times
Not in the culture today,no respect for life.Just look at the way people drive and selfish attitude.

Old 03-02-2018, 08:12 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,917,022 times
If police and others would enforce the laws, these killings could be greatly reduced.

Old 03-02-2018, 08:22 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,619,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
This is why driving cars used to be a right, and is now a privilege. They realized it being the former didn't work, so they had to have regulations and licensing behind it. Makes sense... you have a 2,000 pound vehicle that you'd better be in control of. Vehicles do plenty of damage as they kill/injure people, wreck homes and businesses, etc., but at least they're being regulated much better than guns.
And how many people are killed in car accidents every year with all those regulations?

Old 03-02-2018, 08:37 PM

2,068 posts, read 999,218 times
Default Mass killings

Number of deaths for leading causes of death:

• Heart disease: 633,842
  • Cancer: 595,930
  • Chronic lower respiratory diseases: 155,041
  • Accidents (unintentional injuries): 146,571
  • Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases): 140,323
  • Alzheimer’s disease: 110,561
  • Diabetes: 79,535
  • Influenza and Pneumonia: 57,062
  • Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome and nephrosis: 49,959
  • Intentional self-harm (suicide): 44,193
(Statistics from 2014 National Center for Health Statistics https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/deaths.htm)

Car accidents:There were 29,989 fatal motor vehicle crashes in the United States in 2014 in which 32,675 deaths occurred. (Statistics from https://crashstats.nhtsa.dot.gov/Api...ication/812246)

Gun deaths:
There were 8124 firearm murders in 2014, according to the FBI. (Statistics from https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s..._2010-2014.xls)

In 2014, 652,639 legal induced abortions were reported to CDC from 49 reporting areas.

(Statistics from 2014 https://www.cdc.gov/reproductiveheal...s/abortion.htm)

Talk about mass killings.

Old 03-03-2018, 01:02 AM

2,078 posts, read 1,028,764 times
1. we stop coddling children through life, minor teasing/bullying in the younger years prepares people for middle and high school when people are downright cruel and won't listen to parents. Kids can't even be called fat anymore.
2. weird kids need to be looked at. How many of these guys were completely normal one day and then went nuts the next? very few. Most may have been ok originally but interviews afterwards point to steady spirals into insanity.
3. Fbi needs to be purged they've proven grossly negligent at this point. The cops can be there to clean up the mess, gather evidence, etc... They either aren't capable or aren't willing to put in the work to protect people. Plenty of good cops out there but they can't be everywhere and now we have to wonder if we are getting that guy who's shaking in his boots when he responds to your emergency.

Old 03-03-2018, 01:10 AM

19,025 posts, read 14,205,095 times
Due to the fact that all citizens owe militia duty, it may be more effective to begin firearms training in elementary school.
That should quell the "Scary Gun" fear rampant among the protesters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates