Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Could mass killings in the US ever be greatly reduced?
No, I don't believe they can (therefore I will not post in this thread) 23 18.25%
Yes, with additional gun control (I have ideas I will post) 18 14.29%
Yes, by addressing issues other than guns (I have ideas I will post) 28 22.22%
Yes, by addressing both guns and other issues (I have ideas I will post) 37 29.37%
Yes, but I have no ideas to post here. 10 7.94%
Yes, but the cost to individual rights is too high, so I favor no changes. 10 7.94%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2018, 01:31 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,586,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by movedintime View Post
I would hate to see the results of anti-gun people trying to protect this country.
U.S. Marine Corps Reserve
U.S. Coast Guard Reserve
U.S. Navy Reserve
U.S . Army National Guard
U.S. Air Force Reserve
U.S. Air Force National Guard
Various U.S.A. militia groups

Looks like this country is pretty well covered outside of active duty military personnel , by the way I was both active duty military personnel plus United States Air Force National Guard Reserves personnel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2018, 05:32 PM

1,022 posts, read 740,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
U.S. Coast Guard Reserve
U.S. Navy Reserve
U.S. Air Force Reserve

Looks like this country is pretty well covered outside of active duty military personnel , by the way I was both active duty military personnel plus United States Air Force National Guard Reserves personnel.
100 million armed citizens never hurt either. I'll stand with the gun owners.

Old 02-28-2018, 05:43 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,528,805 times
Quote:
U.S. Coast Guard Reserve
U.S. Navy Reserve
U.S. Air Force Reserve

The only group not covered by the laws of Posse Comitatus would be the Coasties. The various National Guards would be at the command of the Governors of the States unless activated at which point they would come under PC.

Posse Comitatus, for those unfamiliar with the Law:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posse_Comitatus_Act

Old 02-28-2018, 06:13 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,586,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movedintime View Post
100 million armed citizens never hurt either. I'll stand with the gun owners.
I stand with the gun owners also just as long as they don't own AR-15

Old 02-28-2018, 07:35 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,528,805 times
Quote:
"Dilly, Dilly!"

Old 02-28-2018, 08:13 PM

37,106 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post

Guns are a problem but so are prescription drugs.
It couldn't possibly be the problem the drugs are prescribed for, it has to be the drugs?

Old 02-28-2018, 08:19 PM

37,106 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
... the baby boom generation (born between 1945-1974; the children of the Greatest Generation) ...
Boomers were born 1946 to 1964.

Old 02-28-2018, 09:00 PM

50,822 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Boomers were born 1946 to 1964.
Be petty and define it any way you wish. How you define it doesn't change the point I was making.

Old 02-28-2018, 11:13 PM

10,351 posts, read 8,572,211 times
Quote:
Ok. How about we all just own Ak47's instead then?
Ak's are more rugged and use a more devastating round anyways.

Old 03-01-2018, 08:05 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,532,400 times
On Facebook after the shooting in Florida, I noticed that my extreme right friends would post the "33 killed in knife attack in China" event that happened in 2014 and would always have something clever to say like "Knifes are dangerous, I think we need to get rid of all of our knifes."

This was expected but it shows a bigger issue. No matter how many people die, how many children are murdered, how many innocent concert goers are mowed down. It will always come back to the argument that people are responsible for the violence not the guns. Which is true... for the most part. The problem is the efficiency of guns versus other means.

That brings me back to the first paragraph. If you read into the story about the 33 stabbing deaths in Kunming China. It's not one man stabbing and killing 33 people. It was 10 men. 10. 10 men only managed to kill 3 people each and they really had to work at it.

Meanwhile, one man can camp out like a Call of Duty coward and pick off innocent concert goes, from the safety of a hotel room over 1000 feet away. Imagine if Stephen paddock walked into that crowd and started stabbing people. He'd get two or 3 people... maybe kill one? before he got beat to a bloody pulp.

Guns are cool, people love guns. "The Constitution!" "MOLON LABE" " Don't tread on me!" Its a life style and a from of tribal identification. Guns are not useful, unless you want to kill a deer and eat it, which I am all for. But these days they are mostly just expensive toys people buy for bragging rights. Very few people I know with a large cache of weapons own them to hunt.

You go shooting.. You get in your Jeep or lifted truck you put 10k into to make it more manly with your buddies and a couple 30 racks of bud light, and then you go out to the middle of the desert and bring some old stuff that doesn't work and you shoot it.

Most of these people go out shoot less than 30 rounds. They go to blow up old TVs and iPhones every month or so. I have a buddy who shoots maybe every 2 months but every time I go with him he has a new gun. An expensive gun. We're talking $700-1200 with scopes that cost $2000 bucks. So over the years he just keeps getting new guns looking for a bigger thrill. One day he told me all of these guns are on credit cards and told me he needed to sell some of the older ones. I think it's a compulsive hording type thing. You need to keep getting something bigger for cred among gun guys. Its not about hunting or responsible gun ownership, it's literally a toy for bragging and is treated as such.

I still go shooting with my old cheap AR-15, and it's fun to shoot stuff and watch it shatter. But some dudes are at that point where you don't know if they are trust worthy to go shooting with. Those are the guys that are rabid about NRA creed and and have gotten more extreme over the years. They buy more guns just to make a point. Safety? Sunglasses... maybe.

I bought an AR-15 for that exact reason, I like revolvers, but all my friends called them pea shooters. So I felt pretty boss the day I showed up with an AR-15. I bought it used (quasi legally) and paid way too much for it but I had an AR-15 so I was in everyone good graces. No one wanted to talk about modding revolvers it was all about the AR-15. I just don't get the love for the AR-15. It's like needing the coolest toy at show and tell or at least an equally cool toy. I was in the military and hated the M-16A2 it was garbage, it jammed constantly.

A few days ago my good buddy and I were talking about responsible gun ownership. That same old argument about "punishing responsible gun ownership" I told my buddy I keep a revolver by my bed but its in a key pad safe. He told me he keeps his .40 also by the bed side but it is loaded and is not in any safe. Some of his guns are in a safe but some of them like his AR-15 are actually just in the hall closet. I asked him about it and he said he needed quick access, and needed to leave it by the front door in case of home invasion. "How can I get to my gun quickly if its in a safe?" I hear that argument constantly. I asked if he was afraid of kids getting access to it. He then got all pissy and said " It's my home, and i'll defend it however i please" He has teenagers they know it's there, he told them to use it if someone tries to break in. I know about 10-15 more people with the same philosophy for "responsible gun ownership." It's not a problem until its a problem. All gun owners are responsible until they aren't.

I don't think guns will ever go away and I don't think they should, but I see the younger generations staying away from them and seeing them as a bad thing. They see them as a dangerous, unnecessary, killing machine rather than an entertainment toy, way to get food, or a way to defend themselves. My kids are all teenagers and none of them have been remotely interested in guns. Perhaps in 100 years America will be more like Australia or Europe currently.

As far as these shootings I think you will see something like what happened after 9/11. Everyone will be more vigilant and any kid who brings a gun anywhere near a school or makes a threat will be interrogated quickly. If someone makes it into a school with a gun, they will quickly be overcome by people who have a fight instead of flight instinct. Everyone has always been told to give into the demands of the terrorists and that got us a lot of dead citizens. When Richard Reid tried to blow up a plane people were fed up he was instantly detected and he got brutally handled by several passengers. I think that will start happening. Chances are the weapon that brings down the shooter won't be a gun but a mob of fists and random objects.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates