Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Could mass killings in the US ever be greatly reduced?
No, I don't believe they can (therefore I will not post in this thread) 23 18.25%
Yes, with additional gun control (I have ideas I will post) 18 14.29%
Yes, by addressing issues other than guns (I have ideas I will post) 28 22.22%
Yes, by addressing both guns and other issues (I have ideas I will post) 37 29.37%
Yes, but I have no ideas to post here. 10 7.94%
Yes, but the cost to individual rights is too high, so I favor no changes. 10 7.94%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2018, 06:03 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,526,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Require liability insurance for all guns. Then the insurance companies can battle it out with the gun people. After all we require liability for cars...why not guns? And you have to show proof of insurance to buy one!
I don't know if my umbrella policy covers that or not. Hmmm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2018, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timppa View Post
The only problem with limiting gun ownership to the National Guard, etc., is that it allows age discrimination. A healthy fit 40 or 50 year old cannot enlist, or join any of these organizations, with the exception of some private armed security.
The National Guard already has a mission it can barely fill. The National Guard can handle floods and prison riots, but guard duty? nah. That is 54 different organizations to deal with. Go read the wiki for details.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nation..._United_States
My though it to form a "Well Trained Militia" as referenced in the 2nd Amendment along the lines of Baden-Powell's organization for men from 17 up. If you want anything beyond a bolt action rifle or a six-shooter you have to join up. They would be self regulated and self vetting, with an IG at the State and Federal levels. No command authority so they could not be activated, eh? That would filter out the crazies. If you bring your own semi-auto you get a reduction in the initiation fee.
"Details to be announced later"

Old 02-22-2018, 06:34 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,476,539 times
Limited or 1 entrance could help. However, IIRC, the Sandy Hook shooter managed to break through a window to gain access to the building.

Also, if a fire were to break out, or some other threat that required the school occupants to evacuate, could those limited access points let everyone out in a reasonable time? If you use "fire doors" that open only from the inside, then someone on the inside could let a shooter in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiaLia View Post
Yes. They can be greatly reduced at public schools. As for mass killings outside of public schools, I have no clue how they can be reduced in 21st century USA. So I'd go ahead with securing the public schools. The vast majority of these have little more than one or two police officers who run after vandals and gang members. We wouldn't need to involve Washington D.C. in the effort to secure our schools. It would be up to each state to provide the funds. It's never been super complicated to accomplish this -- all that was lacking was the will of the tax payers. Looks like the will for school safety is here now.
Following Sandy Hook, someone suggested putting a police officer in each of Massachusetts's schools, but someone from the PD said that would eat up 1/4 of the state's PD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
The NRA has a plan that is not one constructed on the spur of the moment:
https://www.nationalschoolshield.org/

Submitted for your consideration and enlightenment.

What IS the plan? All I see is below, and 3 different stats... They don't mention what steps they're taking to help the situation.
Quote:
We Have A Singular Mission: To Protect Our Children

School security is a complex issue with no simple, single solution. The National School Shield[SIZE=2]®[/SIZE] program is committed to addressing the many facets of school security, including best practices in security infrastructure, technology, personnel, training, and policy. Through this multidimensional effort, National School Shield[SIZE=2]®[/SIZE] seeks to engage communities and empower leaders to help make our schools more secure.

Old 02-22-2018, 07:02 PM

9,419 posts, read 11,166,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
Of course they can be reduced! Restrict/ban the type of guns that are used in most of these killing rampages. Better mental health care and more security at schools. I guess schools have to be like airports.

I'm not opposed to armed guards at school by either off duty police officers, retired military people, etc. Not teachers, craziest idea ever!
There was a cop at the Florida school. He didn't go in.

School's armed officer 'never went in' during shooting | Daily Mail Online

Old 02-22-2018, 07:10 PM

2,513 posts, read 2,790,094 times
I think the latest trend, especially amoung the younger generations, is simply expectations that are simply too high. It's also a society/parental failure when we don't teach how to manage those expectations and manage failure. This leads.to depression or anger with associated violence.

Old 02-22-2018, 07:19 PM

2,513 posts, read 2,790,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
What do most mass killings have in common? Usually a deranged individual and/or Types of guns that shouldn't be owned and/or People gathered together, usually in a church, movie, school, or a workplace.

Raising the age of legal ownership would help--a little bit. The kid in Sandy Hook didn't buy or own the guns he used though. His mother owned them. She left them all over the house. She was old enough. She was also not deranged. So changes in those laws wouldn't have helped.

The TYPE of gun could have made a difference though. There is no reason for people to own guns like that. If you're part of the "militia" that the second amendment allows for, maybe, but not for a private citizen.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/reason....p-mass-sho/amp

Statistically, ony 14 percent we're with assult style rifles. If people are angry enough and resourceful enough, it's still going to happen.

I think addressing the motivations behind the shootings would be more beneficial.

Old 02-22-2018, 07:34 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,034,396 times
Of course they can be. It is the height of both national arrogance and apathy to pretend that the US is somehow unique in the developed world in that we just "can't" reduce gun violence. Yeah, every other advanced nation can do it, but we "can't?" With that attitude, we'd still be under British rule as low-end colonies.

Do you want to fix the problem?

- Clean up the obvious idiocy in the gun laws. Private sales loophole, general lack of thorough background checks for all sales (allowing nuts and thugs to easily buy guns), absurdity that people on the no-fly list can still buy a gun, etc.

- Get rid of the room-clearing weapons that are designed for military applications or mass murder. No, you do not need to hunt in many-round bursts. You are not going to "kill the government" because you have to pay your taxes. And if you think the best way to defend your home is to spray streams of lead downrange - regardless of who else is in the way - you shouldn't own a weapon.

- Next, improve the health care system. That's an obvious problem where people with mental health issues can't get the help they need. The stigma against mental health problems is also huge in in this nation, which is a problem. America has failed to embrace far more successful systems used in nearly every other successful nation, and - big shock - we have all sorts of health care crisis. At least we pay a lot for it, and some Americans still get their jollies knowing those "lousy poors" will remain sick... which I guess we're to believe is a good thing, at least until a place gets shot up.

- Finally, you have the income inequality, total lack of job security, and fraying social safety nets, which are all ways people are driven to desperation and violence. Again, we have far more of these issues than other developed nations, and we have far more violence. It's not a coincidence.

Old 02-22-2018, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFanHSV View Post
https://www.google.com/amp/s/reason....p-mass-sho/amp

Statistically, ony 14 percent we're with assult style rifles. If people are angry enough and resourceful enough, it's still going to happen.

I think addressing the motivations behind the shootings would be more beneficial.
14 percent is 14 percent. If somebody suggested perfectly reasonable laws - as many are for gun control improvements - that would reduce some other troubling cause of death by 14% people would be happy. But no... no matter how many lives would be saved, we have to all pretend that guns aren't used to kill people.

Old 02-22-2018, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
The National Guard already has a mission it can barely fill. The National Guard can handle floods and prison riots, but guard duty? nah. That is 54 different organizations to deal with. Go read the wiki for details.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nation..._United_States
My though it to form a "Well Trained Militia" as referenced in the 2nd Amendment along the lines of Baden-Powell's organization for men from 17 up. If you want anything beyond a bolt action rifle or a six-shooter you have to join up. They would be self regulated and self vetting, with an IG at the State and Federal levels. No command authority so they could not be activated, eh? That would filter out the crazies. If you bring your own semi-auto you get a reduction in the initiation fee.
"Details to be announced later"
You raise a key point. Of the developed nations, I'm only aware of 2 with plenty of guns and yet still low rates of gun violence: Switzerland and Israel. Interestingly, both have mandatory military service, and neither one still hands out guns willy-nilly, no questions asked, as too many people want here.

So, there is something to your suggestion, though people would have to decide if compulsory military service is worse than strongly curtailing guns (along with making other needed changes - healthcare, income inequality, etc.)

Old 02-22-2018, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
Limited or 1 entrance could help. However, IIRC, the Sandy Hook shooter managed to break through a window to gain access to the building.
<>
What IS the plan? All I see is below, and 3 different stats... They don't mention what steps they're taking to help the situation.
"Shortly after 9:35 a.m., using his mother's Bushmaster XM15-E2S rifle,
Lanza shot his way through a glass panel next to the locked front entrance doors of the school."

The NRA plan is a 200 some page detailed thesis. I have not signed on to subscribe to it yet, but I'm on the list for updates and have asked for a precis. What I heard from Dana Loesch last night it shows how to harden the campus and train people for the eventuality of an attack The Full plan may not be publically available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates