Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Could mass killings in the US ever be greatly reduced?
No, I don't believe they can (therefore I will not post in this thread) 23 18.25%
Yes, with additional gun control (I have ideas I will post) 18 14.29%
Yes, by addressing issues other than guns (I have ideas I will post) 28 22.22%
Yes, by addressing both guns and other issues (I have ideas I will post) 37 29.37%
Yes, but I have no ideas to post here. 10 7.94%
Yes, but the cost to individual rights is too high, so I favor no changes. 10 7.94%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2018, 08:48 AM

18,722 posts, read 7,601,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
there is a solution that will cut such crimes way down. In fact, it has been on the books for hundreds of years... but gets violated all the time, so it hasn't had much effect.

One of the greatest benefits from having all law-abiding citizens able to own and carry guns, is deterrence.

Even if the laws conformed to the 2nd amendment (anyone can own and carry a gun if he wants), most people still wouldn't bother carrying. But a few would. And a criminal contemplating robbing or assaulting someone with a gun, would know there's likely someone in the crowd who has a gun and knows how to use it. He has no idea which direction a bullet might come from, but it's likely that one (or more) would.

And so he might decide not to commit his crime after all.

How many crimes would never get done in the first place, if everyone were allowed to carry, even if most didn't bother?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
This again? It's been said a thousand.
And never refuted once. Not one person has found any evidence that We The People are not the best (though inevitably imperfect) deterrent to mass shootings. Yet the "gun control" advocates STILL keep advocating other schemes which, by now, they know have never done anything to reduce those shootings.
Quote:
Tighter controls will not prohibit law-abiding citizens from being able to own guns.
Several posters have shown ways (a thousand times) in which they will eventually do exactly that.

"Gun control" advocates will take advantage of people's shock and horror at the latest mass shooting that they let happen, and use it to put "a few reasonable restrictions" on guns, just as they are dong now. Which will obeyed only by the law-abiding. Horrific shootings will be unaffected.

When the next one happens, the "gun control" advocates will scream (as they are doing now) that "a few more reasonable restrictions" are needed... since the ones they insisted on earlier, didn't work. Wash, rinse, repeat. Restrictions will pile up more and more, never stopping since they never deliver the relief promised.

Soon a few guns (currently the mis-defined "assault rifles") will be banned. The "gun controllers will keep insisting "nobody is going to come for your guns", even as they tighten the controls. When banning those few guns doesn't reduce shootings, they will ban just a few more, still insisting "no one intends to take away all guns". As though their intentions had anything to do with actual results.

As long as shootings continue, which they will as the "gun controllers' " useless schemes pile up, they will keep banning more and more, a little at a time, and the mantra will change to "See, you can still purchase the XYZ-brand bolt-action single-shot .25 pistol-caliber rifle where each round must be hand-loaded into the breech, so we haven't taken away your right to own a gun."

Until someone else shoots a dozen more children from a locked tower with an illegally modified version of that gun. At which time the "gun controllers" will regretfully say "Well, our hand has been forced, we'll have to ban that one too, to protect the children. Their safety is worth it, isn't it?" While never mentioning that they have never done a thing that has safeguarded those children, all those years, as the unending trail of blood and death shows.

I grow tired of the constant duplicity, lies, and hand-flapping of these people who keep insisting "just a few more reasonable restrictions" and "Oh, no, no one ever intends to take all your guns away", while they propose taking "just a few", and then just a few more.

And I am frankly uninterested in their "intentions", while their actual acts lead to one inevitable conclusion they don't dare voice but invariably keep pursuing. While the school shootings and office massacres continue unabated year after year.

Yes, normal people will continue posting about plans that WILL work "a thousand times" - such as obeying the Constitution. As long as the "gun controllers" keep recoiling in horror from the next shooting, and then the next, while doing nothing that actually saves any lives while more children die each month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2018, 09:00 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,301,142 times
I couldn't say it better than Leonard/this:

Everybody knows that the dice are loaded
Everybody rolls with their fingers crossed
Everybody knows that the war is over
Everybody knows that the good guys lost
Everybody knows the fight was fixed
The poor stay poor and the rich get rich...

Everybody knows that the boat is leaking
Everybody knows that the captain lied
Everybody's got this broken feeling
Like their father or dog just died

And so it goes, everybody knows!

(Everybody knows, but very few want to hear.)

These lyrics have been true since the very beginning of the USA and really mankind. That good old choice/battle/struggle between good and evil.

Last edited by picklejuice; 02-22-2018 at 09:08 AM..

Old 02-22-2018, 09:40 AM

8,011 posts, read 8,204,319 times
Quote:
And never refuted once. Not one person has found any evidence that We The People are not the best (though inevitably imperfect) deterrent to mass shootings. Yet the "gun control" advocates STILL keep advocating other schemes which, by now, they know have never done anything to reduce those shootings.

Several posters have shown ways (a thousand times) in which they will eventually do exactly that.

"Gun control" advocates will take advantage of people's shock and horror at the latest mass shooting that they let happen, and use it to put "a few reasonable restrictions" on guns, just as they are dong now. Which will obeyed only by the law-abiding. Horrific shootings will be unaffected.

When the next one happens, the "gun control" advocates will scream (as they are doing now) that "a few more reasonable restrictions" are needed... since the ones they insisted on earlier, didn't work. Wash, rinse, repeat. Restrictions will pile up more and more, never stopping since they never deliver the relief promised.

Soon a few guns (currently the mis-defined "assault rifles") will be banned. The "gun controllers will keep insisting "nobody is going to come for your guns", even as they tighten the controls. When banning those few guns doesn't reduce shootings, they will ban just a few more, still insisting "no one intends to take away all guns". As though their intentions had anything to do with actual results.

As long as shootings continue, which they will as the "gun controllers' " useless schemes pile up, they will keep banning more and more, a little at a time, and the mantra will change to "See, you can still purchase the XYZ-brand bolt-action single-shot .25 pistol-caliber rifle where each round must be hand-loaded into the breech, so we haven't taken away your right to own a gun."

Until someone else shoots a dozen more children from a locked tower with an illegally modified version of that gun. At which time the "gun controllers" will regretfully say "Well, our hand has been forced, we'll have to ban that one too, to protect the children. Their safety is worth it, isn't it?" While never mentioning that they have never done a thing that has safeguarded those children, all those years, as the unending trail of blood and death shows.

I grow tired of the constant duplicity, lies, and hand-flapping of these people who keep insisting "just a few more reasonable restrictions" and "Oh, no, no one ever intends to take all your guns away", while they propose taking "just a few", and then just a few more.

And I am frankly uninterested in their "intentions", while their actual acts lead to one inevitable conclusion they don't dare voice but invariably keep pursuing. While the school shootings and office massacres continue unabated year after year.

Yes, normal people will continue posting about plans that WILL work "a thousand times" - such as obeying the Constitution. As long as the "gun controllers" keep recoiling in horror from the next shooting, and then the next, while doing nothing that actually saves any lives while more children die each month.
So tell me your proposal is to allow everyone to carry a gun without any background checks? And you outright acknowledge that most law-abiding citizens will not want to carry.

In other your prosal is exactly where we are at now. The only difference is the mentally unstable will be able to legally own firearms.

Your proposal won't change anything.

Old 02-22-2018, 09:55 AM

18,722 posts, read 7,601,368 times
Quote:
So tell me your proposal is to allow everyone to carry a gun without any background checks?

In other your prosal is exactly where we are at now.
Since that's "exactly where we are at now", I'd like you to put a gun in your belt and walk into your local high school's administration office.

Then post here and let us know how "allowed" your action was.

(Don't hold your breath waiting for his next post, friends. It might be a LONG time before he is able to post after doing what he says is "allowed". )

Old 02-22-2018, 10:23 AM

8,011 posts, read 8,204,319 times
Quote:
Since that's "exactly where we are at now", I'd like you to put a gun in your belt and walk into your local high school's administration office.

Then post here and let us know how "allowed" your action was.

(Don't hold your breath waiting for his next post, friends. It might be a LONG time before he is able to post after doing what he says is "allowed". )
I'm not sure what that would prove. You're just being histrionic.

Anyway one poster before mentioned manned metal detectors at the school entrance points. That sounds like a good idea to me. Doesn't have to be as extensive as TSA but it's a start.

As far as armed guards go, I'm not sure where the armed guard was for Stone Douglas but probably 4 or 5 mainly to patrol the perimeter. Two or three can man the metal detectors in the mornings when most or all students come in. After that they can cut that down to one at the mags.

It's a sad situation at the end of the day and seems like more giving up freedom for security. A la 9/11.

Old 02-22-2018, 11:36 AM

8,166 posts, read 8,521,460 times
Quote:
I'm not sure what that would prove. You're just being histrionic.

Anyway one poster before mentioned manned metal detectors at the school entrance points. That sounds like a good idea to me. Doesn't have to be as extensive as TSA but it's a start.

As far as armed guards go, I'm not sure where the armed guard was for Stone Douglas but probably 4 or 5 mainly to patrol the perimeter. Two or three can man the metal detectors in the mornings when most or all students come in. After that they can cut that down to one at the mags.

It's a sad situation at the end of the day and seems like more giving up freedom for security. A la 9/11.
The NRA has a plan that is not one constructed on the spur of the moment:
https://www.nationalschoolshield.org/

Submitted for your consideration and enlightenment.

Old 02-22-2018, 11:39 AM

4,005 posts, read 2,080,730 times
They have detectors in NYC public schools, and other public buildings. They catch more than guns. Knives too.

Old 02-22-2018, 02:03 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,358,121 times
Quote:
Can mass killings in the US ever be greatly reduced?

But there is a solution that will cut such crimes way down. In fact, it has been on the books for hundreds of years... but gets violated all the time, so it hasn't had much effect.

One of the greatest benefits from having all law-abiding citizens able to own and carry guns, is deterrence.

Even if the laws conformed to the 2nd amendment (anyone can own and carry a gun if he wants), most people still wouldn't bother carrying. But a few would. And a criminal contemplating robbing or assaulting someone with a gun, would know there's likely someone in the crowd who has a gun and knows how to use it. He has no idea which direction a bullet might come from, but it's likely that one (or more) would.

And so he might decide not to commit his crime after all.

How many crimes would never get done in the first place, if everyone were allowed to carry, even if most didn't bother?

Study after study has shown that even with the laws restricting law-abiding people from carrying, there are still millions of incidents where a crime was stopped by the "victim" producing a gun, or even mentioning that he had one. There are no statistics for how many criminals decided NOT to commit a crime because the victim or a bystander might have a gun, but they are likely sizeable.
MILLIONS of incidents where crime has been prevented? Give me a source on this.

You really must think that all criminals are logical, rational, and care about their own life. They are violent criminals either because they are stupid, they don't care or they don't think they'll get hurt. Many times they are aggressive, antisocial, desperate people. Is there no crime in places like Texas? All those guns and STILL crime?

https://news.stanford.edu/2017/06/21...-carry-states/

Old 02-22-2018, 02:07 PM

Location: Born in L.A. - NYC is Second Home - Rustbelt is Home Base
1,607 posts, read 1,085,011 times
Didn't vote, but don't think so. Society keeps decaying.

Old 02-22-2018, 02:51 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,827,261 times
I don't believe the problem is guns and therefore, the solution is not gun control. Further, while school shootings (and other mass shootings) are a horrific tragedy, I wonder if they are statistically a major enough problem to justify a constitutional amendment (and its related problems). Or, are they simply politicized and sensationalized to the point where people imagine we are living in the 'wild West' or a magic future world where weapons leap off the shelves and go on a shooting rampage.

Yes, I know (and believe) "if only one or a few lives can be saved, it would be worthwhile," but, how does one ever measure that?... Or, does much of the politicized gun control legislation actually fall into the "At least we're doing something and feel good about that" category?

What about gang violence? IMO, there are a hundred times more people regularly killed through senseless gang violence -- but, does anyone believe that by 'outlawing' gang violence, we can end it? Likewise, there are probably a thousand times more people regularly killed in automobile accidents (particularly by impaired drivers), but, does anyone believe outlawing cars or impaired drivers (which we already do) - will end those deaths?

I'm not certain what the solution is and would like to see 'gun violence' ended by almost any means that attacks the real problem and works. Perhaps there is some evidence that absolute gun control works (Japan, Switzerland ... China?, N. Korea?), but, those cultures are FAR different than ours. Likewise, one doesn't hear much about mass shootings or school shootings in Russia or Cuba (except, perhaps by the government).

I believe the root problem is a rebellious, sinful nature that runs wild in any society that condones and even glorifies it. "The wicked prowl on every side, When vileness is exalted among the sons of men" (Psalms 12:8 NKJV) -- Only God can deal with that problem ... and WILL DO SO, if we will seek Him individually, in our families and as a nation -- and allow Him to guide our ways.

Of course, many reject this as 'religious mumbo-jumbo', but, most know the truth in their hearts when they hear it. America's societal problems grew exponentially after we legislated prayer out of schools, banned God and the Bible from the public forum -- and demand that God and religion stay "separate" in a 'church box' instead of having a prominent role in public America. (That was NEVER the intent of "separation of church and state!"). Who doesn't believe and see that America is 'spiraling out of control as a result of self-indulgent, self-gratifying, me first, godless attitudes and behavior?

Last edited by jghorton; 02-22-2018 at 03:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates