Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Could mass killings in the US ever be greatly reduced?
No, I don't believe they can (therefore I will not post in this thread) 23 18.25%
Yes, with additional gun control (I have ideas I will post) 18 14.29%
Yes, by addressing issues other than guns (I have ideas I will post) 28 22.22%
Yes, by addressing both guns and other issues (I have ideas I will post) 37 29.37%
Yes, but I have no ideas to post here. 10 7.94%
Yes, but the cost to individual rights is too high, so I favor no changes. 10 7.94%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 07:08 AM

6,472 posts, read 6,678,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Sure. All you have to do is require tiers of rigorous training and permitting. Air rifle? .22 rifle? A basic gun safety course and a permit that does a simple background check. A bolt action deer rifle or a shotgun? A bit more required training and range time every year before renewing your permit. Semi-automatics and hand guns get yearly background checks and even more training and range time with instructor time.

When you create a gun safety culture, the nut jobs will usually be easy to spot and you look more closely before renewing their permit.

With that kind of system, junkies and gang bangers don’t get access. If you want the right to carry a gun, you have to earn it.
I like that idea. Hadn't actually heard anyone suggest it before. I have no idea about the feasibility, primarily the cost of reassessing every gun owner every year, but I do like all of your suggestions.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2018, 07:11 AM

6,472 posts, read 6,678,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartGotts View Post
I voted "yes, guns and other factors".

One idea for guns is to limit clips to 5 rounds. It's a start.

For an other factor, I believe political correctness is actually making things better.
It's not acceptable to pick on people like it used to be.
The ones picked on and isolated have often been the ones who picked up a gun.
I've wondered how effective anti-bullying campaigns have been. Are kids as a whole treating each other better? The number of school shootings is increasing.

Thanks for contributing your thoughts.

Old 02-21-2018, 07:55 AM

9,290 posts, read 14,905,031 times
I think that limiting guns mostly to the National Guard- a citizen based militia as described in the 2nd amendment- would be a good idea. Other regulated entities such as the police, security, armed forces, etc would be armed as well.

Hunters and target shooters could have guns checked in and out and regulated by commercial hunting and shooting enterprises. These enterprises would become financially and legally responsible for the use of the weapons. There could be other special permits for those in particularly remote areas with wildlife, such as parts of Alaska.

Parents or caregivers of those under 21 who allow children to access guns should be criminally prosecuted.

Japan has only 11 gun homicides a year- here's how they did it-
https://www.theatlantic.com/internat...deaths/260189/

Old 02-21-2018, 08:12 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
I voted no AND am posting in this thread because I feel one should tell their reasons why. The shootings are a byproduct of the Internet. The Internet can be a great resource for some and can be the worst thing for others. If you want to bury yourself in the Internet on any subject matter you can. Gone are the days you actually had to talk to others in person. You can now just create your own echo-chamber. These kids killing others all do just that. They are on the Internet focusing on all negative/hopeless things and they feel there is no hope. Of course people will say, kids could always do that. Yes, but now there is the convenience of the Internet which takes NO effort at all. A couple clicks of a button and BOOM all the negative feeds you could ever want to focus on for a lifetime.

These shootings will continue. Gun control means nothing as it is a bandaid for the real issues. No one wants to discuss the Internet because everyone is addicted to it in one form or the other. The aggression we see today compared to the 70's is very evident as people bury themselves in their echo-chambers and become less tolerant of other styles of life.

Anyway, most focus on the bandaid type ideas because they are easier. Good luck.

Old 02-21-2018, 08:26 AM

16,215 posts, read 11,335,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
I've wondered how effective anti-bullying campaigns have been. Are kids as a whole treating each other better? The number of school shootings is increasing.

Speaking as one who was bullied in junior high (and did not handle it well) -- anti-bullying efforts are a joke.

What did work (or at least demonstrated the point) was what our school, (student body included) informally called a "sh** list" of known disciplinary problems. Most of them ended up in front of the courts soon enough, but one of the worst I recall went a little further -- killing one of his pals (also on "that list") and two girlfriends in a particularly gory drunk-driving incident.

And in fairness, at least one person listed whom I recall from those days straightened himself out pretty well.

The point here, as I see it, is that we don't have enough guts to give educators the right to intervene and weed out the riffraff in our feminized, sanitized, politicized "educational" system, and few "educators" have the guts to take on the job.

Public education is in the early stages of a death spiral -- the proper thing to do is to allow the private sector to take over and finish the job. A substantial number of the brighter students are capable of educating themselves in an open campus environment at a much earlier age, (and standing up and talking back to senseless "Korporate" regimentation once they graduate), and the lowest of the low will destroy themselves (and likely hurt more people in the process) no matter how good the intentions.

That leaves a modest majority (perhaps 50-60%) who need to be encouraged and steered toward rewarding careers suited to their personal inventory of skills; and the private sector is far more capable of this task.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 02-21-2018 at 08:38 AM..

Old 02-21-2018, 09:25 AM

8,011 posts, read 8,208,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Speaking as one who was bullied in junior high (and did not handle it well) -- anti-bullying efforts are a joke.

What did work (or at least demonstrated the point) was what our school, (student body included) informally called a "sh** list" of known disciplinary problems. Most of them ended up in front of the courts soon enough, but one of the worst I recall went a little further -- killing one of his pals (also on "that list") and two girlfriends in a particularly gory drunk-driving incident.

And in fairness, at least one person listed whom I recall from those days straightened himself out pretty well.

The point here, as I see it, is that we don't have enough guts to give educators the right to intervene and weed out the riffraff in our feminized, sanitized, politicized "educational" system, and few "educators" have the guts to take on the job.

Public education is in the early stages of a death spiral -- the proper thing to do is to allow the private sector to take over and finish the job. A substantial number of the brighter students are capable of educating themselves in an open campus environment at a much earlier age, (and standing up and talking back to senseless "Korporate" regimentation once they graduate), and the lowest of the low will destroy themselves (and likely hurt more people in the process) no matter how good the intentions.

That leaves a modest majority (perhaps 50-60%) who need to be encouraged and steered toward rewarding careers suited to their personal inventory of skills; and the private sector is far more capable of this task.
And what do you suppose will be done for those who can't afford to give their child access to this privatized education system you dream of?

Old 02-21-2018, 10:01 AM

16,215 posts, read 11,335,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
And what do you suppose will be done for those who can't afford to give their child access to this privatized education system you dream of?
That system will have every incentive to find something suited for them -- and NOT necessarily on the input side of a broom or shovel. Some nations with enlightened immigration policies (Canada is one I'm personally acquainted with) are already doing this.

Old 02-21-2018, 10:26 AM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
I like that idea. Hadn't actually heard anyone suggest it before. I have no idea about the feasibility, primarily the cost of reassessing every gun owner every year, but I do like all of your suggestions.

Thanks!
Well, how about that anyone who commits a crime using a gun is then barred from owning a gun in the future?

Old 02-21-2018, 10:28 AM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:

Bullying seems to be a natural occurrence, albeit a bad one. It's something in schools that just has to be continually dealt with as each new generation comes along. And, bullying has changed over time. When I was a child, bullying usually was seen as involving physical actions only. Now it can be snarky twitters.

Old 02-21-2018, 10:29 AM

3,680 posts, read 2,966,099 times
Anybody have an idea of why my previously fast connection is now closer to 2 kb/s on this site....after my post?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates