Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Could mass killings in the US ever be greatly reduced?
No, I don't believe they can (therefore I will not post in this thread) 23 18.25%
Yes, with additional gun control (I have ideas I will post) 18 14.29%
Yes, by addressing issues other than guns (I have ideas I will post) 28 22.22%
Yes, by addressing both guns and other issues (I have ideas I will post) 37 29.37%
Yes, but I have no ideas to post here. 10 7.94%
Yes, but the cost to individual rights is too high, so I favor no changes. 10 7.94%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2018, 03:34 PM

1,022 posts, read 739,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
If you can't write properly and can't make your points accurately, then don't complain when someone calls you on it. If you meant the baby boom generation (born between 1945-1974; the children of the Greatest Generation) you should have said that. A generation, by the way, which was full of kids burning their draft cards, fleeing to Canada to avoid being drafted, rioting in some cities over civil rights, breaking drug laws...as well as doing many fine things.
The topic is ' Can mass killings in the US ever be greatly reduced'.

I had an observation from past generations and how their offspring have reacted.

Do you have any ideas that might help the current problems with children in society or are you just focused on arguing with me ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2018, 03:35 PM

6,753 posts, read 5,056,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Well, that was the idea of the founding fathers, if the Govt feared what the people may do,(or could do if they were on equal levels in terms of firepower), they would think twice about enacting tyrannical laws and regulations.

So you are suggesting we should have a citizens' militia equipped with jets, aircraft carriers, missles, etc?

Old 02-26-2018, 03:43 PM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
So you are suggesting we should have a citizens' militia equipped with jets, aircraft carriers, missles, etc?
And I would further ask these gun crazies who feel this way -- are they admitting that they want to participate in extrajudicial assassinations of elected representatives?

Old 02-26-2018, 03:58 PM

1,022 posts, read 739,806 times
Quote:
And I would further ask these gun crazies who feel this way -- are they admitting that they want to participate in extrajudicial assassinations of elected representatives?
I would hate to see the results of anti-gun people trying to protect this country.

Old 02-26-2018, 07:22 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,526,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
No, but if you look at Syria you will see what has happened to a disarmed populace which has no friends with those weapons of war.

Old 02-26-2018, 07:30 PM

3,288 posts, read 2,359,123 times
No. if someone has the desire to do a mass killing, nothing can stop them. Nothing. Think about it. If wanted to kill a family, you could easily get along them on the expressway and swerve into them to run them off the road and into a deadly accident. No one could stop it. Don't matter if it's a gun, a car, a knife, a broken bottle. Banning any of those things will have no effect. No amount of regulation of anything will help. We all have to hope thpfor the best that the people around us value life as much as we do. This the price of living in a free society. I'm willing to take that risk in order to do so.

Old 02-27-2018, 12:01 PM

41 posts, read 53,281 times
School is a system designed to make people feel like winners or losers. At the end of the day, almost 90% of what is taught is useless information that can now be googled at your fingertips. If school was not such a intimidating place with apparently so much as stake, we would find more inclusion and happiness with our kids. Kids must be taught on how to deep dive into their own interests or how to deep dive into a specific issue. The school mandated way of doing something is not necessarily the only way of doing things.

The baseball player must not be made to feel any lesser than the math nerd - or vice versa. But now, thats not the case. Its coming to a point where if you dont take advanced courses (AP ) for anything and everything, you are a loser. No kid should be made to feel like a loser - that really is the biggest loss.

The loss of 17 lives is a small fraction compared to what we loose every year in terms of our kids not achieving their true potential - simply because there is a system mandated to make everyone climb the same tree.

Old 02-27-2018, 12:36 PM

9,511 posts, read 6,103,034 times
I have a few ideas.

Only one of them relates to gun control & I'm actually unhappy with how it panned out; no matter how I tweak it, I can't balance the pro's/con's. Basically, I'm wondering if this is because: Gun control is to Mass Murder ... What Tylenol is to a fever.

It's symptomatic treatment. It does not = a cure. Americans, in particular, are very susceptible to this way of thinking. We like the quick-fix of immediate gratification. Heck; we demand it! But anyway ... The best I have as far as gun control:

Is to look at patterns from the past. Do you realize how utterly bad most of these perpetrators are at flying under the radar? Do you realize how easy it would be to flag somebody via databases already available, regarding patterns of purchases & spending?

None of the perpetrators have any concept of consequences after the event. They not only usually die during them; they expect to die, during them. And they all spend months or even a year or two; amassing weapons, chemicals, training (shooting ranges), etc ... One guy buying a couple guns from one online source is not alarming.

But one SS#, linked to 2 Debit/Credit/EFT accounts, that have paid for 5 firearms from 3 different online dealers & 3 weapons from two local dealers & tons of ammo from 3 online sources plus 1 local store, an online purchase for body armor, a couple of hand grenades from a "specialty" online dealer, a shooting range membership & bulk chemicals from 4 different online sources ... and all within the last 11 months ... with a prior transaction history being an assortment of car payments, rent, tuition/textbooks, restaurants, etc ...

IS ALARMING.

Question: Has anybody ever had their credit card stolen & received that call from the bank regarding the sudden uptick of unusual/frivolous purchases?

Because that is how fast spending can attract attention. And they all spend the same way & in the same pattern. The systems/programs to catch these patterns are already in place but they are only being used to secure the $. Your bank doesn't want to be left with contested purchases of 5 Gucci designer bags but as long as they are assured that it is really you that seems to be arming the next civil unrest ... they don't care; they will still get paid.

Next: Can we get to the cause now vs the symptoms? I mentioned above: "Do you realize how utterly bad most of these perpetrators are at flying under the radar?"

I believe they are really bad at being so tragically bad ... Because they are not criminals. If they were were good at being bad; they would be using cash only to purchase from established underground traffickers. Those networks & relationships take years to establish & require that you have an ironclad reputation as "Not a Cop" & "Not a Snitch".

It will be preferred that you have served time, at least once; for a convicted felony. Because snitches don't snitch unless they get a deal. Snitches don't take one for the team. Do you know who does NOT fit this profile/pattern?

Every single one of the recent mass/school shooters.

And I think, that this is because these were just people, maybe with a prior, early in life injurious event to the brain, who have a neurologically exacerbating event occur ... and become mentally ill.

Pharmaceuticals have been mentioned. Pharmaceuticals for mental illness are also a symptomatic treatment. (But I'm working backwards here anyway so I'll stick to form) We now know that there is a common denominator between Developmental delay (ASD), Schizophrenia & later-in-life degeneration (Dementia, Alzheimer's) & this common denominator is known as "Atypical Synaptic Pruning".(1, 2)

As far as I am aware, nobody goes to a shrink because "My synapses feel cluttered". They usually go to the shrink because of the symptoms of Depression & Anxiety; the precursors for just about every psychiatric disorder known. They go to the doctor because they are sad ... and afraid. And they are medicated for being sad ... and afraid. And many times it helps. But what if you have an altered brain chemistry & you get medicated for being sad & afraid? What if you have Atypical Synaptic Pruning?

And what if ... it works. And your synapses are still damaged but you have lost your moods. And your fear.

Here is an insightful self-assessment written by a young man who already had atypical synaptic pruning (diagnosed ASD), went to a doctor & was prescribed Benzo's & SSRI's. It describes what he was feeling both on & off ... the meds:

"1. No affect when needed. First appearance of Mania occurs. Not good Mania. Anxiety & Fear disappears.

2. No more Fear, no more fear of failure. Fear of failure drove determination to improve, better & succeed
in life.

3. No more fear of consequences.

4. Primary drive reversion ... to hatred of mankind.

5. Intense aversion to people, cause unknown. Began long ago, suppressed by greater fear of others.

6. No more fear, hatred unchecked ...
"(cont. below)

Well then. Maybe sometimes fear is actually preferable to no fear when we are talking about a person who has a condition that causes social impairment? And depression: What happens when you lose your "lows"? You lose your "highs" too. A medication can't discriminate between good vs bad moods. It just blunts ALL moods. In fact, to continue:

" ... 7. Love gone, motivation directed to hate & obsessions, which didn't disappear, for whatever reason with the drugs.

8. No consequences, no fear, alone, isolated, no work for distractions, no reason to seek self-actualization ...
" (cont below)

Well, there it is & it's not looking too healthy. Here is the last line:

" ...9. Embraced the hatred, a Dark Knight Rises."(3)

Because the above, was written by James Holmes; the Aurora Theater shooter ... before the shooting occurred. (and mailed to a doctor but that's a whole other issue) Holmes titled this section of his ramblings as "Self-Diagnosis of a Broken Mind".

I believe it's a rather accurate assessment of a "Broken System of Modern Medicine". A failed symptom treatment. So what about the cause? Check link #2, below. It might help connect the dots(and a lot more).

1.https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0502161118.htm
2.https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26814963
3.Trial of James Holmes: Denver Post Profiles & Documents

Old 02-28-2018, 11:24 AM

6,753 posts, read 5,056,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
No, but if you look at Syria you will see what has happened to a disarmed populace which has no friends with those weapons of war.

In Syria we see what happens when truly free elections do not exist, and a tyrant/murderer is at the top. Fighting something like that with military might requires a whole lot more than assault rifles, plus the help of other countries.

Last edited by hikernut; 02-28-2018 at 12:25 PM..

Old 02-28-2018, 01:16 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,583,593 times
Quote:
Please don't ask that question because they want it real bad!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates