Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Could mass killings in the US ever be greatly reduced?
No, I don't believe they can (therefore I will not post in this thread) 23 18.25%
Yes, with additional gun control (I have ideas I will post) 18 14.29%
Yes, by addressing issues other than guns (I have ideas I will post) 28 22.22%
Yes, by addressing both guns and other issues (I have ideas I will post) 37 29.37%
Yes, but I have no ideas to post here. 10 7.94%
Yes, but the cost to individual rights is too high, so I favor no changes. 10 7.94%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 06:22 PM

10,351 posts, read 8,572,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
I was talking to my kids about this last night. Here are their responses:

Q: How about metal detectors, reinforced doors, guards?
A: The shooter will just have someone pull the fire alarm and shoot the kids when they file outside. So those three remedies will be rendered useless.

Q: Gun control
A: The nut will just fashion a homemade bomb like the Boston Bomber. Probably set it off in the stands at a football game.

I truly believe the problem is a combination of the drugs that others have mentioned and a lack of the ability to lock someone up in a psychiatric hospital. I understand this was abused in the past. Men locking up their wives because it was convenient for them. But I think if you rely on a board of doctors and thorough examinations, this wouldn't be an issue.

The other issues, and I can't stress this enough, is the way the media makes celebrities out of these shooters. They all idealized the shooters that came before them. They kept scrapbooks of their media attention. They took note of what was the most effective way of garnering media attention.
Now those are thinking kids. Not ones that throw out knee jerk responses , mostly repeats of what the anti gunners say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2018, 08:56 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,210,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
Now those are thinking kids. Not ones that throw out knee jerk responses , mostly repeats of what the anti gunners say.
So what exact solutions do you propose instead of just dismissing so-called 'anti-gunners'?

Old 03-10-2018, 12:48 AM

10,400 posts, read 15,586,421 times
Quote:
One of my solution was having metal detectors .

Let me throw this out there for everybody to consider.

If you have a closed campus like we have here in California "metal detectors" will work , because you won't be able to get on the campus (to flick a fire alarm ) at a campus closed to All outsiders. At a closed campus all students faculty everybody are closed on campus after the first Bell , of course people could leave for a emergency but no one can leave and go home and bring a AR-15 back on campus.

Old 03-10-2018, 11:51 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
Quote:
I understand the logic of your thought process over the rate of fire, but I wouldn't want that as I use a firearm for self defense.
It's the equalizer. If you have 3 intruders breaking into your home at night it's close quarters, things happen fast. You don't want to have to fend them off with a firearm that shoots slow.
You don't want to take one out and have to yell at the others "Wait guys, I can't shoot that fast!"
What are the odds of this? You've been watching too many home security commercials. When someone wants to rob your house it is rarely when they think someone is home...and if someone is, they usually flee. And do they often go around in gangs of 3 or more? And do they often shoot back or do they run like hell - what do they care about an injured "partner in crime"?

Old 03-10-2018, 12:14 PM

24,636 posts, read 9,464,279 times
I understand the want and need for gun owners and pro-gun folks to keep their guns and maintain easy access of obtaining new guns.

The problem, as we all know, is nutjobs obtaining these guns using them for the wrong purpose.

A good compromise would be a gun buyback program just like Austrialia did. Gun owners can keep their guns, but there’s also an incentive to turn in many money guns that don’t need to be out in the streets. No solution is perfect and plenty of mass shooters bought their guns legally. But it’s a fair compromise where both sides can get what they want for the time being.

Or we can just keep up the thoughts and prayers while nutjobs shoot up schools, Churches, and concerts.

Old 03-10-2018, 02:11 PM

164 posts, read 119,347 times
People should be more caring!

Old 03-10-2018, 04:39 PM

722 posts, read 1,109,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
It amazes me that intelligent people believe that disarming themselves will stop predators from preying on them. Guns aren't the problem. Predators are.
Actually, fear of the predators is the problem. People are so concerned about the boogeymen coming to get them that they decide they need to be armed to the teeth. It won't work if it is the government, a personal arsenal is not going to deter our military. It won't work if it is a serial killer, they will have the rag of chloroform over your face before you realize what is happening. It won't work on the mass murderer because you won't see them coming most of the time either.

These things are tragic and we should look at doing something practical about them but people are too worried about anything that might give the criminals more rights than them, because then how will they protect themselves.

Too bad statistically you are more likely to be shot in the head by your loved one over an affair or a nice fat life insurance policy rather than a robber. With the gun that you bought for protection. While you are sleeping. Because they thought they heard a burglar. And the loaded gun was "under your pillow". Most people relying on guns to save them from these predators are so incapable of recognizing them that they will let one sleep in the same bed as them. Ironic.

Old 03-10-2018, 05:16 PM

2,462 posts, read 2,480,403 times
The only solution is to keep the perpetrator's name anonymous. This will never happen, so I don't see any solution.

Old 03-10-2018, 08:32 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,237,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFanHSV View Post
What does a big rig have to do with assult rifles or guns in general? And what doea the far right have to do with anything? This isn't a political issue. It's a legal and constitutional issue. What happens when mass shootings go down but mass bombings go up? Why don't we address the motivations and circumstances that lead someone to do this? Because it's the harder problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
If someone wants to do harm to others, they will find a way. I think as a country we need place more emphasis on mental health care.

My thinking is the same. For the most part, these people don't care if they're killed. It seems more along the lines of "I'm offing myself because life isn't fair, and I'm taking a few people with me." Somehow we need to change the real problem, which is a messed up mind.

(We had a school "shooting" in a Wyoming college a few years back -- 5 or 6 years iirc. Believe it or not, he used a bow and arrow from the back of the classroom. It was all he needed.)

Our city seems to have an unusually high number of teen suicides. My wife works with young people, and she says bullying is a prime reason for many lives being cut so short. I have no facts to back that up, but I'd believe it. I'd also guess there are other causes closely related to bullying -- non-acceptance of sexual orientation by peers or family, family problems, girlfriend/boyfriend problems, etc., etc. Some kids just have a horrible home life. My wife works with one young man, really a good kid, but his mother is a wacko. She actually calls the police to get him in trouble with made-up accusations. This kid is in trouble, as would any kid subjected to this mother's actions. A year ago he was making college plans, getting funding lined up. Now he's trying to get his GED because he's been booted from school in his senior year, thanks to his nutty mom's lies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabbyCats View Post
It's the psychotropic meds being prescribed in increasing numbers to kids....

Imagine this: a kid fails an exam and gets abnormally depressed about it which gets mentioned to a doctor. Said kid gets prescribed a med to "help even him out". The med doesn't seem to do much or the kid even seems worse, and you'd think the logical thing would be to consider the med has made things worse, right? Oh no....the doctor will say, "we need to increase the dose." If/when that doesn't work, it's "well, we should add-in a mood stabilizer." Because now psychiatrists have created a NEW diagnosis called "treatment resistant depression." And guess what!? Yup, they have a pill for that.
Sorry to cut your words short, but you know, wouldn't all fit on page one. Excellent post. If all true and accurate, might just be THE answer we've all been searching for. Thanks for sharing.

coschristi... ditto. (Post 178) I'm thinking you guys might have found the cause. Could be, yanno.

Old 03-10-2018, 10:01 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,480,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
Please post here only if you have something positive and respectful to contribute. There are already numerous other threads filled with name-calling and nonsense.

Please use logic to share your thoughts or to point out the flaws in someone else's suggestions. Share data and links whenever possible.

This thread is for people who want to maturely and rationally consider how we might make our schools and other public venues safer from mass killers.
ever heard of metal detectors?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates