Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2018, 12:17 PM

24,516 posts, read 17,271,978 times

Advertisements

The Parkland shooting survivors turned activists just got the cover of TIME magazine.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/school-sh...110036741.html

I think it is cool that these kids are standing up for something they believe in but they should not be so eager to throw away their constitutional rights. If they choose to not own a gun then that is Ok but they should not dictate to the rest of the country. They should instead work to police their own and setup programs for troubled peers. Time and again we have seen bullied kids either take their own life while other kids that have been tossed aside and left behind due to awkward peer pressure and the inability to fit in which manifests into discipline issues take up a gun "to get back at the world that hates them".

I do think something should be done to curb gun violence and school shootings such as raising the age to 21 to legally purchase a semi automatic rifle but guns like the AR15 should not be outright banned.

What do you think about these new activists getting the cover of TIME magazine and what do you think about their message?

Old 03-22-2018, 12:19 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,552,018 times
wait till they need to fund their own lives... once working they cant walk out and protest and expect to hold a job

picture of poverty on front page to me... torn jeans /no shoes and looking like future thugs

for a generation that wants to portray activism, they arent doing a good job with their body language

Quote:
"You’re gonna be smeared in the textbooks. Your legacy is gone,” he says. “If you don’t stand up with us now, you’ll be standing against us.”
taking a lesson from the Intimidation playbook?

Old 03-22-2018, 02:56 PM

505 posts, read 503,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
wait till they need to fund their own lives... once working they cant walk out and protest and expect to hold a job

picture of poverty on front page to me... torn jeans /no shoes and looking like future thugs

for a generation that wants to portray activism, they arent doing a good job with their body language

taking a lesson from the Intimidation playbook?
Strange. That's exactly how I dressed in high school and college.

And yet here I am, an entitled millennial who has done his fair share of political activism, responding to your incredibly narrow and idiotic comment from my office in downtown LA.

Old 03-22-2018, 03:47 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,960,825 times
Can anyone explain why these high school kids were sent to Dubai to discuss gun control in the United States???

Anyone?

Can ANYONE explain THAT?!?!!?

Old 03-22-2018, 07:05 PM

1,687 posts, read 1,284,369 times
Only authorities should have guns?

The same authorities that cowered in the face of danger?

The same authorities that knew Nikolas Cruz was a violent bridge troll, knew he would kill somebody, and let him, so they could push a disarmament narrative?

The same authorities that reprimanded the SWAT officers that actually changed course so they could help?

Supported by pis-ant arrogant kids (not all the students, I mean the ones who are taking Islamic money to preach the disarmament narrative) who are being sponsored by Dubai?

Those authorities? No.

Not just "no" but, FU-K NO!

Old 03-22-2018, 07:27 PM

29,527 posts, read 22,704,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Can anyone explain why these high school kids were sent to Dubai to discuss gun control in the United States???

Anyone?

Can ANYONE explain THAT?!?!!?
Seriously?

I swear, all this attention is only feeding their already lofty egos.

What next, Nobel peace prize nomination for these teenagers?

Old 03-22-2018, 07:43 PM

26,658 posts, read 28,724,063 times
As we pass the torch to a new generation, I am proud that they are brave enough to stand up for their rights. I hope more from this new generation start getting involved and standing up for what they believe in. Vote, call your elected officials, march, let your voices be heard.

They're not dictating to the rest of the country any more than the some factions in this country have been dictating to them. They have a right to be safe, a right to not have to worry about whether or not someone is carrying a gun. They have a right to life and to not be killed at school. All of us have a right to feel safe from people with guns. How many times in your life do you really need a gun? Probably never. Keep on going, millennials.

Old 03-22-2018, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
As we pass the torch to a new generation, I am proud that they are brave enough to stand up for their rights. I hope more from this new generation start getting involved and standing up for what they believe in. Vote, call your elected officials, march, let your voices be heard.

They're not dictating to the rest of the country any more than the some factions in this country have been dictating to them. They have a right to be safe, a right to not have to worry about whether or not someone is carrying a gun. They have a right to life and to not be killed at school. All of us have a right to feel safe from people with guns. How many times in your life do you really need a gun? Probably never. Keep on going, millennials.
What rights are they standing up for?
What specific laws are they looking to change?
Could any one of them recite their state's regulations regarding purchase, possession and regulation of guns?
Could any one of them express SPECIFICALLY what laws need to be updated, why it needs to be updated and what SPECIFICALLY needs to be changed?

Nope. None of them.

Just ... guns bad .... more laws ... more laws ... oh and more laws. And let's cut class because a national political organization is using CHILDREN to forward its own personal agenda at the national level, using an emotionally devastating event as manipulation. Yeah, that's the ticket. That makes sense ... more laws .. because why .. they told us we need them ... let's all cut class. Yeah, if we all cut class and wave signs .. that'll change everything.

Oh and yes let's go to DUBAI and ISRAEL -- yes Parkland teens went to BOTH countries -- to talk about US gun laws. Because diplomats love to talk to teenagers when seeking political advice ... for a different country???

Old 03-22-2018, 09:13 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,258,115 times
The poor parents of the actual victims of the shooting while these fools travel the world.

Maybe put their kids on the cover of Time.

Old 03-23-2018, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
The poor parents of the actual victims of the shooting while these fools travel the world.

Maybe put their kids on the cover of Time.
Excellent point.

I also wonder how many days they've missed of school and why truant officers aren't at their houses looking for them. They claim to be students but when was the last time they WERE at school???

Last edited by newtovenice; 03-23-2018 at 06:28 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.