Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2018, 12:12 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,370,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
as we pass the torch to a new generation, i am proud that they are brave enough to stand up for their rights. I hope more from this new generation start getting involved and standing up for what they believe in. Vote, call your elected officials, march, let your voices be heard.

They're not dictating to the rest of the country any more than the some factions in this country have been dictating to them. They have a right to be safe, a right to not have to worry about whether or not someone is carrying a gun. They have a right to life and to not be killed at school. All of us have a right to feel safe from people with guns. How many times in your life do you really need a gun? Probably never. Keep on going, millennials.
yes, yes, yes!! ^^^^^^^

Old 03-24-2018, 12:31 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,195,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
You really believe that a bunch of kids is able to get meetings with THESE people .. just because ???

Gullible. Seriously gullible. Congressman can't even get meetings with these people.

Let's not let any crisis go to waste, film it, make-up in, cameras ready? GO!
Misinformed. Seriously misinforned. They met with President Trump. It was televised. They had a townhall that was televised. This is not a mere crisis, but a recurring tragedy....Littleton, Newtown, Parkland, etc. They are not wasting the opportunity to make schools safer!

Old 03-24-2018, 12:42 PM

Quote:
You fully believe a bunch of 16 y olds are setting all these meetings up?

Call me, I've got some beautiful land in the Everglades for you. I'll even throw in a bridge.
Of course, they are getting assistance and cooperation from other people. They have initiated the process. I guess they forgot to ask for your permission. The cynics won't stop them.

Old 03-24-2018, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
There are two good things that can come out of this (that I can think of).

First, banning AR-15s and the like.

Second, a turnaround in youth culture as it currently relates to bullying and casual violence. Bullying has been around forever but social media have magnified its malevolence. The kids can change it by changing their attitudes. Same for looking the other way and accepting violence as a solution to grievances.

If the kids can actually accomplish these they will have made history and will go down with the Baby Boomers as truly transformative.
+1!

Old 03-24-2018, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeCloser View Post
Speak for yourself. I am an adult, and I did not create psychotropic drugs and give them to people. Once you won your war with the NRA, and helped to take away someone else's rights, will you be going after fertilizer, matches, various gases and all other things that can be used to create a mass death experience?

Do you really think the sickness will heal itself just because 1 inanimate object has become harder to get?

As for the kids - the shooter kid got his 15 minutes of fame, and now the surviving victims are too. Where is the fame for those that made the ultimate sacrifice? The victims who died.
They are doing this to reduce the number of future victims. They have talked about those victims during interviews. There was a national walk out at schools for 17 minutes recently: a minute for each Parkland victim.

Last edited by chessgeek; 03-24-2018 at 01:43 PM..

Old 03-24-2018, 12:52 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,331,262 times
The Snowflake Nation is speaking up, and as is to be expected, it wants the illusion of legislated faux security via an expanded (and centralized, of course) bureaucracy we will all be expected to pay for.

Old 03-24-2018, 12:54 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,224,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
If you had actually opened your ears and listened to these kids, you would realize they are very smart, well spoken, controlled, and determined. They will have no problem "funding their own lives" with those attributes.

I realize that a lot of adults are put off by them fighting against a monster we adults created, but, damn, they are accomplishing something that should have been done a long time ago. People forget that these youngsters will be voting in a couple of years, and the politicians who hide behind the NRA better listen or else.
Nonsense. We never had these things before. WE didn't create anything. Society is broken and the people are mentally ill, and the response is to infringe on the Constitution of this nation? EFF THAT.

Old 03-24-2018, 01:27 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
The Snowflake Nation is speaking up, and as is to be expected, it wants the illusion of legislated faux security via an expanded (and centralized, of course) bureaucracy we will all be expected to pay for.
Give the kids some credit. Okay, maybe a lot of them are "snowflakes" but they're exercising their right to freedom of speech. This is a prime example of free speech, right to assembly. Maybe they aren't such silly little snowflakes after all. An expanded bureaucracy? They just want normal things like probably an age limit for gun ownership, background checks so some idiot can't go to a gun show and buy a gun, and getting rid of military-like guns that aren't suitable for an individual to own anyway.

How much money does the NRA waste every year bribing the politicians.

Old 03-24-2018, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
The snowflakes are in Congress and several there are afraid of the NRA. The cynics are also snowflakes. The Parkland students have displayed both courage and class. Fixed it for you.

Old 03-24-2018, 01:51 PM

2,951 posts, read 2,517,842 times
Quote:
Explain specifically what they have done.

Last time I checked, everyone knew murder was wrong.

So .. what have these kids done?
FEAR - Scared a little? or a lot?

I know the game you are playing. Things take time. Did you see the March today?

These kids are the future. For some, I'm you'll be glad you are dead and won't have to live with the changes.

The rest of us will welcome the changes with open arms and hearts.

If you had issues with Obama, just wait.

Thanks for the reps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates